WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Smelting accident: pot collapses

Boolit Master

What a lot of people fail to realize is that it's possible for their leg design to be able to hold the weight as long as things are normal and the weight is pressing straight down, but if they are stirring the pot or whatever and the weight shifts, they might not have the bracing that will keep the legs from folding over.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    The question in my mind is was this caused by the lack of school shop in junior high and high school for many years? I've been saved many times by my memory of my junior high shop teacher going on about safety. Thought he was a nagging pain in the rear then, thank him every day now for my whole and complete ten fingers and toes, not to mention the various skills he taught the young men under his tutelage.

Boolit Buddy

Crocks or sandles while smelting?...What she said.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif 
Views:	103 
Size:	349.0 KB 
ID:	155655
    click image

Boolit Master
    Our fellow member looks to have one of these :

http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-...w-pot/p/56691/

If you look a little further on the site you'll see some monsters. The stand comes with the pot and is only meant to keep the pot from tipping with the ground carrying the weight of the pot and it's contents. Stirring and scraping would sure compromise the balance unless the legs were stuck in the ground or reinforced. Big flat bottom would be a better option.

Hopefully our fellow member won't have any permanent nerve or tissue damage. Scar might be OK for bragging rights and/or humility. I'm figuring he was looking out for us.

Boolit Master
    Everytime I hear someone using a Coleman stove to melt lead that's the picture that runs thru my head. I purchased a heavy duty camp stove that looks like a 2 burner gas stove. Runs off a 20 lb propane tank and is very stable. I use a cast iron pot that will hold at least 40 lbs but have never put more than 20 lbs.
    I've several scars from sweating pipes and really don't want to have 30+lbs of molten lead landing on any part of my body.

Boolit Man
    Although I agree this guy is an idiot for his choice of safety gear and his setup! I offer another theory, complacency! We get so comfortable with what we are doing we forget the danger!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    Yeah. I'm betting smelting outfit 2.0 will be a significant improvement.
    Yep. Saw that hose and the 'weed burner' torch. Good thing the hose wasn't compromised with hot lead while it was lit and the hopping and dropping was happening.

Kind of makes one mindful of the 'humorous' insurance claim involving a generator, gas can and burned house, car etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    Looks like an aluminum leg to support the pot.

Schools should be teaching us to ask: "What could go wrong?"

And in the What could go wrong department, is that a lead-covered rubber propane hose I see in the lower right of the pic? Just how bad could that have gotten?

Cat

Banned

It might be from having to wear combat boots as daily footwear my whole adult life, but I don't do much of anything without leather boots on. Any yardwork task, walking around the woods, anything. I don't even walk around the inmdide of the house barefoot much, kind of overly protective of my feet, I guess. I don't like wearing shorts if doing anything serious either, blue jeans are the norm.

Gloves are where I need to be more vigilant. I hate wearing them, and it seems like during a casting session, something comes up that requires some dexterity and I pull them off. I need to work on that.

I agree with Dave's comment about school shop classes. The high school where I teach is fortunate in that it still offers wood shop, but our sister school downtown has basically given it up. Even at my school, it isn't very popular amongst my students (JROTC Cadets) it seems. Not sure when it became the norm to pull vocational training out of public schools, but it sure seems to have happenned. There are so many lessons to be learned even if a kid is planning the college/white collar route.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Just a week ago a beginner caster sent me a picture of his self made smelting pot. I replied with a question: " are you sure those flimsy looking legs can take the weight?"

He responded after he had smelted the first batch of lead:" it seems they can take the weight"..
    I think there are legs visible in the photo, and it doesn't matter if they would carry the weight 99% of the time. People melt lead more than a hundred times, and that means the 1% should come up sometime.

We build up an intuitive awareness of how much strain metals will stand, including aluminium and cast zinc alloy. But all bets are off when the metal is heated even well short of melting point. I once did the math on tensile strength and centrifugal force, and proved that bullet jackets can't rupture in the air... when cold. I think leaving the muzzle with the heat of friction makes all the difference.

I added support to a turkey fryer stand. The added flat bar is lined up with the pot supports to carry the load evenly. I see nomex mentioned in this thread a few times and I would not recommend it at all. Heavy cotton shirts or leather welding sleeves is better. I use leather welding sleeves. They are hot when casting but not as hot as lead stuck to the skin.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pot1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	156311

Boolit Mold
    I'm pretty safety conscious...

This incident just helps to reinforce it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by typz2slo View Post
    I added support to a turkey fryer stand. The added flat bar is lined up with the pot supports to carry the load evenly.
    You might want to rethink that support system. From what I can tell in the photo, you do not have any sort of diagonal support on the legs, so the potential for the legs to fold up on you if you ever put a load on it not perpendicular to the ground is a bit higher. Also, stacking it on cinder blocks is not that safe -- especially since you have the hollow area oriented parallel to the ground.

Boolit Master
    I have a stand similar to what is shown in post #70, but I cut the legs down so there is only about 2" of clearance below the burner, enough to get oxygen. My 14 quart Dutch oven is also shallower but wider lowering the center of gravity.

Looks like third degree burns that may require some skin grafts to me.

Boolit Master

Sometimes, lateral loads can cause unexpected results... Go to time 4:26 on the following video...

Banned

If you scroll through his pics you see he blew up a 9mm and a 240 Winchester. Looks like double charge with case failure at the base both times. Looks to me like the guy needs another hobby.

A tip to those setting up with turkey fryer; stand on it. If it holds your good to go.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    A tip to those setting up with turkey fryer; stand on it. If it holds your good to go.
    Maybe stand on it and dance around so you put some lateral loads on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Maybe stand on it and dance around so you put some lateral loads on it.
    Also I may should have clarifiied, stand on it "when its cold and not in use" haha

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ncbearman View Post
    Also I may should have clarifiied, stand on it "when its cold and not in use" haha
    If not, then the "dance around on it" will probably automatically be taken care of.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234