Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Why are there no light weight boolits for the 7mm s

Boolit Master

Why are there no light weight boolits for the 7mm s

I have two 7mm's. 7mm Mauser RB and 7x30 Waters that I'm stubbing to a 219 Savage. I can't seem to find any moulds less than 130grs. Won't the 7s' handle lighter boolits? I'd like to do some mouse fart loads with 100grs or less to cut down on the noise. Any suggestions? Are there any round ball moulds in that calibre?

Most 7mm chambers have pretty long throats and probably won't shoot all that great with short bullets. But there's no reason somebody like Accurate or Mountain Molds couldn't make you a little 7mm mould. #1 buckshot is .300", and you should be able to run it through a Lee type sizer to make it whatever you need to fit a fired case if you want to shoot a round ball.

I shoot a RCBS 120gr. 270 bullet in my 7mm TCU pistol, paper patched. It's not quiet by any stretch, but it is very accurate and effective.

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I find that pretty much every bore size performs best with a longer bullet. For 7mm, that would point me to something in the 170-200 grain range. Those could be launched in a mouse fart load, and have very good accuracy.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

The only mould I have right now is the ideal 287346 @ 137 grs we'll give it try. A couple of Gun shows coming next week end we'll see what's there.

Moderator Emeritus

The military 7x57's have a long throat and many were set for 175 gr bullets.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze