Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: First lumber/sizer

Boolit Mold

First lumber/sizer

Newbee help please

Boolit Grand Master

Im assuming you mean lube sizers. There are many ways to go with this. If bullets drop close to groove dia throat dia then simple pan lubing can be done with no sizing. The lyman and RCBS are good and size lube bullets quickly and cleanly both are pretty readily available from most suppliers and from swapping and selling here. Another more specialized is the mecham lube sizers that work in your reloading press. The Lee push thru sizers and tumble/ pan lubing also will do a good job with a standard reloading press. The Starr lube sizer is considered by many to be the cream of the crop. The starr,lyman, rcbs, use caliber specific dies and bullet specific nose punches sometimes a heated to soften hard lubes. The mecham and lees are push thru sizing dies and only need the flat base pin that comes with them. Mechams lube pumps are interchangable on the die body so diffrent lubes can be used with additional lube pumps. Sizing dies are screw in and available from mecham in most sizes for a given caliber. and number of lube grooves. Mine works good with softer lubes never tried hard lubes in it. Thhe Lee sizing die sizes only and requires pan lubing, tumble lubing or hand lubing. The lees are caliber / size specific no screw in dies for diffrent sizes. The Lees are the most economical and if the actual dia isnt available they can be [polished out to desired size. Midways, Grafs, and most reloading supply places have them. The mecham is available thru mecham tool. First thing to do is come up with a rough Idea of How Many bullets are going to be sized in a session and what size. Next is time you want to spend on it. Then is what your willing to spend. Look at the diffrent equipment on the internet and get an idea of what it is and mounting space. On a small bench or one with limited available space the mecham or lee in existing press amy be a good choice. more room you might consider a dedicated machine.

I have a Lee push threw sizer in the size i wanted for every caliber I own.
    Out of the pan lube, and into the sizer they go
    each and every one
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Mold
    Thanks gentlemen

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    So this is now a woodworking forum too? Lumber sizing? How about a thickness planer!

Boolit Grand Master

A second thread about the same thing?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes a planer!!

Boolit Master
    My lumber is too small to start with!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I first size my lumber with a saw, then use a plane (hand or motorized) and finish up with sandpaper.

If I want to lube my bullets only, I use the pan lube method as preached by Dale53. If I want to lube and size, I find the various Ideal Lubri-sizers (#45, 450 and 4500) pretty hard to beat. I'm less pleased with the Lee push-through style as they require a pre-lube step before you can size with them. These are my techniques, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I started with Lee push-through sizers and still use them. Have used their Liquid Alox Lube as well along with pan lubing some. However, I after trying the two previously mentioned methods I bought a used Lyman 450. I find the Lyman the least messy way to accomplish both tasks. I still use the push-through and will keep them because I've read that they seat gas checks more squarely than the Lyman. I just wish the die and top punches for the Lyman were cheaper!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is an old Lyman 450 I bought for nothing decades ago. Sat for about 14 years before I got into casting.
    Works great. I had to add the upgrade handle kit when the original handle broke.
    Lyman was very helpful in this.

SHiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I hear a Star is the 'bee's knees,' heard that on TV this week-end

never have used one just the Lyman 450 which works fine for me.

Most of short, fat bullets get powder coated. The long skinny ones, which fall over when I try to move them to oven, are lubed
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Very little advantage being taken

Boolit Master
    Well 221 fireball what are you trying to size ,are you interested in pan lubing,powder coating . If you would like to lube a few to get your feet wet with the lee liquid alox and a lee sizer , it will work , or you could use the lee sizer to size powder coating cast bullets. Tell us what you are casting for and what size you need. My goodness these fellows can fix you right up. If you cast out of a frying pan it works to. You came to the right place .