Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Casting for a 470 Nitro Express

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Good idea! with tangential entry there shouldn't be impact damage and no sand to sift through.

Longbow
    It sort of grinds the bullets a bit. My lead recovery rate is 50%. Lots of black dust.

Topic drift is okay, our elephants are pink.

Plus that you do have Ice in Finland, and I bet they race Ice Boats there too. Huh?

Somehow shooting your .470 NE at Pink Elephants from your Ice Boat just seems like the ultimate far north shooting experience !!!

I'll be stopping by next week to put it all together.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

I am a bit surprised that much lead is ground/splattered off but I guess with glancing off the angled plates then spinning wildly around the tube a guy should expect some loss. Have you tried melting the black dust? If very fine lead I guess it would tend to oxidize quickly and be lost as dross anyway... even if it is lead.

I'd have to think the ultimate would be shooting the .470 at pink Finnish elephants while being pulled by reindeer in a large sleigh! Just one man's fantasy!

Longbow

We definitely want videos of anything related to shooting Pink Elephants!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Have you tried melting the black dust? If very fine lead I guess it would tend to oxidize quickly and be lost as dross anyway... even if it is lead.
    Yes,I tried melting it all. Black is heavy but won't reduce back into the alloy.

After a few 45-70 or 470 rounds the trap looks like something is burning, grey "smoke" is coming out. Cylinder surface is quite rough inside. Bullets really get ground up. Handgun bullets survive much better.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm betting the fine dust oxidizes quickly so won't melt into your lead. It may be possible to reduce it back to metallic lead using charcoal. Might take high temperatures though and be too much effort.

That .470 is hard on powder and lead!

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Plus that you do have Ice in Finland, and I bet they race Ice Boats there too. Huh?

Somehow shooting your .470 NE at Pink Elephants from your Ice Boat just seems like the ultimate far north shooting experience !!!

I'll be stopping by next week to put it all together.

Randy
    Count me in!

Boolit Master

That .470 is hard on powder and lead!
    Yes two boxes (40 rounds altogether) of 400 grn plinkers every week means 50 kg of alloy and 10 kg of N135 per year. 111 lbs and 22 lbs respectively. Just for one gun. But this is also huge savings when you think of it...

Figuring out that ice boat now...

Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Yes two boxes (40 rounds altogether) of 400 grn plinkers every week means 50 kg of alloy and 10 kg of N135 per year. 111 lbs and 22 lbs respectively. Just for one gun. But this is also huge savings when you think of it...

Figuring out that ice boat now...
    Spoken like a true boolit caster. 111 pounds of lead and 22 pounds of powder to "save" money. I salute you sir.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Must check this Mihec HP version next. Too much rain lately.

With the same charge, I guess these will cross earlier than solid ones.

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    We definitely want videos of anything related to shooting Pink Elephants!

Randy
    We need to know what is in that drink as well!
    Petander, although I am not in pain any more, one of the drawbacks to having a prosthesis for a shoulder joint is that my surgeon told me to lay off the big kicking guns. I sure miss the challenge of shooting the 470 accurately (sort of).
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like you've got a colour match for the pink Finnish elephants anyway!

Just get that POI sorted out and you're good!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    2080 rounds a year, sounds like you're on a mission to see how long it takes to wear it out! Im on the same mission with a 270 and boolits at 1500fps. I don't think we are gonna wear them out.

Boolit Master
    Guns are made for shooting.

My shoulder will wear out soon anyway, I rather shoot fun guns as much as I can, because I still can. Glucosamine saved my shoulder.

Looks like you've got a colour match for the pink Finnish elephants anyway!

Just get that POI sorted out and you're good!

Longbow
    POI with these 400 plinkers is good up to 60 m where they cross. The only way to fix it further out is to move to full house 500 grainers which regulate good up too 100 m, haven't tried further, no need. 50 m is a long Elephant shot, good practise distance. 15 m is more probable.

Or go crazy and tune the left barrel POI towards the right "dead on" -one with a heavier charge/bullet... yeah colour coded rounds, pink for left only.

Absinth for the drink, gives you many colours!

Boolit Grand Master

I guess crossing at 100m with the 500 gr. and full load makes sense since the gun is intended for big critters at relatively close range, not varmints at 400 yards.

You did say the individual barrels group well with the lighter boolits though... right? If so one barrel could be used for longer range shooting couldn't it? Just save sight/scope settings. A .470 has to be able to reach out and put the hurt on water jugs a past 100m... not that blowing them up at 60m isn't fun!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Yes excellent grouping for individual barrels at 75 m with 400 plinkers. Holes touching.

Past 100 m is a challenge for beer cans / open sights and I don't feel it necessary. This is a DG gun and has rear sight blades 25,50 and 75 m. I' m not trying to make this a sniper rifle. The scope it came with is a fixed 1.25x magnification, scopes are mostly for verifying ammo. You don't want a 4x scope when a buffalo is charging at close range.

And my Mihec plinkers are dead on with 50 m blade @ 50 m. Trying to keep this simple. Think shotgun-like fast situations and a fast second shot.

In the ideal world, barrels never cross. Bullets go parallel in a 1" tube forever. My 500 Woodleighs do that up yo 100 m, haven't checked longer.

Boolit Grand Master

While maybe a bit overkill that .470 would be an interesting gun for a wild boar hunt.

Do you get the big Russian boars there?

I am not much of a hunter these days but I would like to shoot a wild boar or two.

We don't have any close but they are spreading through most of the US and we now have a population in Alberta due to escapies from farms where they were introduced for meat and hunting... but I don't have a .470 NE double rifle!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    While maybe a bit overkill that .470 would be an interesting gun for a wild boar hunt.

Do you get the big Russian boars there?
    They are invading! No overkill at all plus that quick second shot. I could actually use this 400 plinker, it's like a hot 45-70 . I need to check that 325 Lee too. Only got the velocity, 2300 fps. Boars are fast so...

Some boars were in cameras this fall, eg. a herd of six quite near here. Our club president ordered hunters to get them boars whenever possible.
    Last edited by Petander; 11-21-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Our club president ordered hunters to get them boars whenever possible.

I don't believe you can kill them as fast as they can multiply. Here in the southeast you can't for sure. Our super conservative game and fish dept here in Alabama even gives permits to hunt them at night(gasp)! Just 10 or 12 years ago, we had 0 hog problems on the property I hunted on and now they have all but put a stop to the planting because they root the food plots up so bad. Those 6 on your camera will be over 50 in a yr if you don't get busy with that 470. Good luck brother, with that big double it should be fun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I'd like to hop on a plane and come over to help you thin that herd a bit but being a foreigner I bet there's a ton of paperwork and expensive nonresident hunting licenses.

I was reading about the wild pig problem in Hawaii so had wanted to try pig hunting on our last trip there but... being a foreigner there was expensive nonresident hunting license plus you have to go with a guide or local resident. I would have thought they'd welcome the help! Well, I guess they do but they don't make it cheap or easy.

Also, I had no .470 NE to use!

Longbow

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast