Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Lyman #39538 Bullet Mold

Lyman #39538 Bullet Mold

Just joined this forum for the purpose of finding That Lyman #39538 mold. This is my second post and it is essentially a duplication of my first in another forum. If I have violated all sorts of rules I do apologize!

Happened to be looking around the Internet and ran across this 2008 posting in this forum: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?38702-Lyman-mold-39538-what-is-it

Also ran across this 2009 thread as well: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ie-quot-photos

I have been looking for that mold for some time so I emailed some of the posters. Did get one response (Glen) but there is no assurance that all the email address are current. If anybody has any information on this Lyman #39538 mold I would appreciate a reply here or a direct email.

Boolit Master
    You never know, I needed some kinda hard to find magazines for a new pistol, and ran across an old thread like you did. Contacted the poster, and ended up with 3 mags for a good price. Good luck in your search.

A bit of clarification to my post. Currently shooting a patched .395 round ball in a Turner Kirkland (Dixie) replica Kentucky/Pennsylvania .40 Cal squirrel(?) rifle. They are essentially wheel weight mix and average about 92 gr. They also group reasonably well but are essentially a curve ball in their flight path. Happened to read an article about somebody who had acquired a Lyman #39538 mold which produced a .395 semi mini ball type bullet. Claimed it was highly accurate so I decided to look for that mold. Borrowed this photo from another member for illustration.

Tensaw River Swamp, Baldwin County, South Alabama
    They are beautiful aren't they-- I just ordered 50-------- for my Hawken Green Mountain barrel- 40. I have 50 from a previous order and have not shot them.. they may have to be paper-patched because they will easily go down.. I don't know if its ok to show a link, so PM me . There is also a 165 grain version-- yet the picture above seems like a thicker skirt on it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix681729646.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	153909
    Last edited by Car54; 11-21-2015 at 09:38 PM.

Post Very Interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
    They are beautiful aren't they-- I just ordered 50-------- for my Hawken Green Mountain barrel- 40. I have 50 from a previous order and have not shot them.. they may have to be paper-patched because they will easily go down.. I don't know if its ok to show a link, so PM me . There is also a 165 grain version-- yet the picture above seems like a thicker skirt on it..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix681729646.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	153909
    Looked at the photo and they appear to be the same bullet (boolit for this forum) and I would be interested in where you bought them. For the sake of history and the archives for this forum I think posting a link would be a proper thing for future referral. I am basing my search and quest on threads posted here in 2008 & 2009.

This Gunbroker Seller, a bullet caster, has the above bullet plus a 162 grain version, and many other muzzle loader bullets including Paper-patched ones..

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=805243

Thanks for the reply. Have been watching on GunBroker (& eBay) for the Lyman mold but not the actual cast bullet. Will send them an email asking about the smaller mini ball. Looked at his listings to find his name and location. Did a Google search and came up with nothing under the name he uses on GunBroker.

All the info I have so far indicates a cast size of .395 out of that mold and this guy is talking .398. When you get them it would be nice to hear how they fit into your .40 Cal barrel. Also, I have always used a wheel weight mix and this guy is talking 50-50 mix. Have no first hand (or second hand) knowledge of how that hardness works out at black powder pressures. Does that hardness account for the .003, I really doubt it?

well-- my Green Mountain barrel, when dry and clean, the bullet will fall all the way to the breech.. I left them behind when going to the range last week, so did not shoot it.. if it does not group just so so, I may try to patch it with cigarette paper.. so they are cast nice and look good, but I have not shot them yet.. He cast at different hardness- these appear to be pure lead.. i.e., he writes "lead and Tin" on the packages and in documents, when he adds to the mix..
    Actually, I may try them with a cotton patch, cut at the muzzle, or with paper, cause I don't prefer bare bore..

If it is going to be a bit before he cast them again, and you don't elect to try the 162, then, i could send you a few.."samples"

Mike
    Last edited by Car54; 11-22-2015 at 04:17 PM.

Got an email from that bullet caster. He stated that if the smaller bullet was cast out of wheel weights it would weigh 124 grains. His normal casting weighs in at 135 grains so I am guessing he is casting from pure lead, not a 50-50 mix? OR, am I terribly confused, it is entirely possible! Hoping some really smart bullet casters will weigh in on the question.

yes they appear fairly pure and are soft--

I did bite the bullet, please pardon the pun, and bought a box of 50 from that guy on GunBrokers. They are due to arrive any time soon. In a private email you indicated you were going to shoot them last week. If you in fact did get a chance to shoot them how did they perform? You indicated you were going to try them bare and paper patched. Would be interesting knowing the results!!!

I have not gotton to shoot them..I also note that they could be cloth patched with .10 if the patch is large enough to reach to the nose-- i will try that also.. let me know if you shoot in the next few days--

Did #39538 never pan out?
    I'm thinking a thin paper wrap and push through sizer could be the cats meow.