Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you make if you had a 3D printer?

What would you make if you had a 3D printer?

I've casually kicked around the idea of getting a 3D printer to do some one off projects I've kind of had in mind. I realize the 3d printed stuff is not intended to be used for any kind of production volume when used as a tool or jig or some such depending on the application but its still kind of neat to think that something could be "printed" up that we could put to good use and only limited to our imagination. Kind of like a lazy mans CNC

anyways some of the things I've thought would be neat to make

- .410 conversion for the Lee load all press
    - .22 " side saddle" for various single shot guns , a friend of mine has used 1/4" bit holders in the past but a purpose built one would be nice
    - mooning/demooning tool that doesn't cost $100

etc
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Wonderwolf -

Howdy !

If the machine could accomodate it:
    - Probably a custom stock of my own design, to fit by accuracy bolt rifle.
    - Some custom grips for my 4" "N"-frame .357Mag
    - Custom holsters, perhaps laid-out as a " sheet ", then glued / rivited together
    - A single-load feed ramp, for my .35 Rem M-336 XLR
    - A bore guide for my M-336 XLR
    - Gun case w/ snap-together hinge line

.... Still thinkin'.....

With regards,
    357Mag

A better primer chute for my RC.. the plotter file floats around on the net somewhere
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I came real close to buying a 3D printer last year. I have several ideas for useful and practical projects. Some are gun related and some are not.

My reason for not buying was because, like computers, no sooner do you take delivery of your expensive new electronic gadget that you find out that an even better 3D printer has just hit the market; and at a far lower price. I'm going to wait till the prices come down a little more before buying one. In the mean time I'll just keep on dreaming of new things I can make with one.

My list of project are as follows: This is assuming that we're talking about a "Large-Format" 3D printer. I already have the CAD files made up for most of my ideas.

(1) Pellet-Sizer to size the skirts of my air rifle ammo to the same diameter.

(2) Brass-Catcher to catch the brass as it ejects from my hand guns while at the range or in the field. It's attached to my wrist and forearm and it holds a small cage-like basket just above the ejection port of my hand gun. When I'm shooting, I hate having to bend over and hunt for my empties. I lost to much brass because of this.

(3) Re-designed Stocks for my Lee Enfield No.4 MkI. I'd like to print it with some of the simulated wood media that's available.

(4) To many ideas to list.

My dream 3D printer would be a DMLS metal laser printer. I drool when I think of the stuff I could make with one of these 3D printer.

HollowPoint

Like the brass catcher idea! Rather buying one and finding it outdated.. there might be printing services available on the net where you send a CAD file and they print it for you.
    E Svizzeri sono armatissimi e liberissimi.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCY...7s-n6LwwJNbPGg

I already asked smoke but when don't have one to play with.

A updated version of the Lee auto prime ii /2.

I could use

A modified bullet feeding system for a inverted press for a sizing die Lee push thru.

Mec. Powder bushings.

Love the idea of a .410 for the Lee load all. I'd buy that.

Soo much...

Stock parts for some of our fancy small bore rifle "chasis" systems. adjustable stock parts and such.

Along the airgun pellet idea I saw a guy at our club who is really into air guns with a picatinny rail mounted rotary dispenser that you twist and it dropped a pellet into your hand it was 3d printed and was one of the first things I'd ever seen that was made on such a device.

I've read a little on the kinds of plastics and which machines are better for prototyping and which are better for actual use of the items but I'm not sure what would work best for the sizers etc, you could always make it so you could fit a steel bushing or other such in a "die" that would thread into a press etc.

Sight parts and prototype sights are something that would really appeal to me as well. Seems like most of the factory iron sights these days really lack efficacy.

.357mag I was thinking about grips as well for revolvers, I have a blackhawk that I really want to try some other designs of grips on but I'm wondering how slick the printed material is. I suppose one could always put some bicycle inner tube around it to make it grippier if needed.

Lots of neat ideas...tons more out there, Not really trying to justify one yet myself. would have to learn a CAD program and then the "art" part of getting the printing to come out as desired. As I understand it the science is easy but it takes some tricks to get good results. The thing that got me thinking about the 3d printer again is over the weekend I saw a trigger training aid that "clicks" (had a ww2 style cricket installed) when you pull back and when you release installed in a 10/22 stock. would be great to have 1 or 3 of them for home use in dry firing practice and for our various club classes and courses to train on trigger control for dummy rifles. I like to help Jr's out whenever I can and having such a dummy gun set up they could take home and practice dry firing over and over again would be well worth it. I researched it a bit and saw the guy who was selling them at one point actually made one style that could be adjusted for pull weight from 1.5-5.5lbs....pretty slick!
    My firearms project blog

Boolit Master
    Primer catchers for the old Lyman Spartan and Spar-T presses. I would then offer them for sale.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Sell it.
    I'm just the welder, go ask him>

Boolit Master
    I'd make some very interesting molds.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Magazines for my Remington 581 and 591. Perhaps a jig to make wooden fly boxes.

Boolit Bub
    I like the spent shell catcher for sure!!!

Perma-Banned

Since my bout with Sepsis, some prosthetic fingers. After that, work on a .22LR mini gun.

OB

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chsparkman View Post
    Magazines for my Remington 581 and 591. Perhaps a jig to make wooden fly boxes.
    Magazines for Tikka, my Enfield and My K31 are also on my list of 3D print projects. Buying these same factory magazines online can cost a small fortune. Printing them up with extended capacity Is what I had in mind. All I need is a 3D printer and I can start printing.

HollowPoint

Right now I would make a throw lever for my scope. Seems no one makes one and it's exceptionally stiff. The breakway coasters used for reels seem like that is the only thing that will fit the Nikons.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    I'd make some very interesting molds.
    I wonder if you could make molds slippery enough for gloolits? hmmmm
    My firearms project blog

I'd try my hand at some suppressors in Titanium!

Like ChrisF does in Eurostan
    Hi Guys ,

Here's some pics on the new 338LM model & new 30 cal reinforced model for 308 & 300WM .
    Shot on 3 AI rifles , AW , AWM & AX338 , using the 2 chamber AI Tac brake , testing done to milspec with calibrated correct meter etc .
    As to data , will have to wait till the designer emails me the raw data in a spread sheet .

Oceania Defence Ltd , have exported to Canada & UK so far & plan on making them in the US as well .

They have sent a direct thread version of the AI 338LM can to Canada for trials on the Timberwolf SWS & some small 223 cans to the Police their as well , so if they like them , then you will see quite a few ODL cans in Canada , even thou the civies in Canada are not allowed suppressors .

Later Chris

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    If we're talking about metal sintering 3D lasers, I think they would be able to print titanium, inconel and stainless steel suppressor baffles with geometries far superior in sound dampening properties than those made by conventional milling processes.

For the outside tubes and such I'd stick with conventionally made tubing and end caps; at least for making user serviceable suppressors. If a completely enclosed suppressor was printed, regardless of the metal powder used, just by virtue of the 3D printing process, the can itself would be filled with the un-sintered metal powder and although most could be flushed out, there would still be that lingering suspicion that maybe; just maybe some remained to possibly cause problems.

I guess if we're just fantasizing, we could also include an X-raying process to make sure that all the internal geometry was formed perfectly and all the excess metal powder was removed before firing.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Brevex double square bridge magnum mauser actions and the necessary pieces.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wonderwolf View Post
    I wonder if you could make molds slippery enough for gloolits? hmmmm
    GLUElits? nope. I'd 3d print bullets for use with primer-only cases for equivalent use. Kinda like gluelits but just push a button and reload the (expensive) plastic spool and out they pop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast