MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Mould #31125 240grs. Anyone??

Boolit Mold

Lyman Mould #31125 240grs. Anyone??

Hello,

Reading the mould reference table on p116 of the Lyman cast bullet handbook they list a mould 31125 that was a 240gr round nose.

Has anyone ever seen one of these or something similar?

Sounds like a better option than the 311284.

Freighttrain

In Remebrance

That sounds like a very old design judging by the number. What edition of the Hanbook is it from? If you want a real heavy 30 either have Dan a Mountain Molds cut you one or prepare to watch Ebay for months and months waiting for what you want.

Boolit Mold

Smile quick reply.

Tpr Bret,

Its from the 3rd ed, reprinted in 2002.

Just curious if anyone has ever seen one, let alone know where to get one

Freighttrain

Boolit Grand Master
    Where art thou, O Floodgate?

Welcome to the board, Freight Train. Doug/Floodgate might have the info you're seeking, if he sees your post he'll likely follow up soon.

Another possible source for out-of-print designs is NEI Handtools. They have a wide range of calibers and styles, and their molds are very good tools. Mountain Molds (as indicated above) is another such source, and his tools are a delight to work with.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Freighttrain:

More info on that #31125 is on CASTPICS, with picture, from the 1897 Ideal Handbook No. 9. Go to www.castpics.net, click "Research and Data", then "Ideal No. 9", then the second ".311" page. It was a copy of an Eley bullet for the .303 British, and was only listed through HB No. 16 in 1904, so it's unlikely you'd find a mould; besides, it would be one of the old Ideal moulds with non-removable blocks, and really more of a collector's item. Chances of finding an affordable AND usable one would be "slim to none". That's a LOT of nose hanging out there, too, and not much body, so you'd have to hope it fitted as a bore-rider.

floodgate
    Last edited by floodgate; 10-13-2005 at 12:42 PM.

Boolit Mold

Thank you!

Floodgate,

Thank you for such a quick knowledgeable response!

I have been lurking for ages and finally could resist no longer and this single response shows why this community is worth participating in.

Thank you for welcoming me to the board.

Freighttrain

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    I have looked for this bullet for the last 30 years. If anyone can come up with a sample, I would draw it up with dimensions that would fit the 303 British for a group buy.

Boolit Mold

suitable for a .308

45 2.1,

Would it still be suitable as a heavier option than the 311284?

if so then I would be the first to put my hand up to be included in a group buy!
    (but am located in Australia so it might make the GB a bit more difficult).

Freighttrain

It should be very suitable, but you have a very good mold maker in Australia yourself that makes heavy bullets for the 303.

Super Moderator

..............Hello Freighttrain. I see you got your question answered by Proffessor Floodgate, who is a valuable addition here . He gets run to often, as a resourse.

I just wanted to add my welcome to another Australian board member. I think that's 4 of you blokes so far.

So what's up with the handle?

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold

Handle.

Buckshot,

I like my projectiles heavy!
    while I enjoy shooting a .22-250 with varmint weight projectiles
    there is nothing quite like a big "Freighttrain" effect of a large
    projectile hitting home in the right spot.

So I guess you can tell I enjoy hunting from this

Freighttrain.

In Remebrance

I think I'd design it with a GC.

Talking

I'm thinking with a small meplat instead of the RN, and out of a Krag, it'll knock anything down!

Wouldn't that be a fun one to shoot, at moderate velocities of course! I wouldn't need to use my .54 Renegade to break rocks on that there far hillside!
    Regards,

WE

Boolit Master

? For 45 2.1

Looking at the notation about this bullet in the Ideal pages on Castpics it says the bullet was the same size and shape as the Eley factory bullet. If some one could get you an orginal wt. RN bullet would you be able to work from measurements taken from it?
    Jim

Banned
    southern California and sometimes Honolulu, hawaii
    I like this one to! A neat looking 240 grain monster at the limit of what a set of lyman blocks will handle. Sadly, 31125 was dropped so early that no one really got a chance to have some fun with it and see what it could do.It Sure would be nice if 45 2.1 could give this flying freight train a second chance. Unfortunately, floodgate is correct.This mold is extremely rare. The bad news is that in all the years of opening countless mold blocks at gunshows, closely watching ebay, catalogs,gun list,shotgun news,ect, I have only seen this mold once. The good news is the one single example I saw is also the one I have! 45 2.1,
    e-mail me and I will send you as meny samples as you want. John
    my e-mail address is webb-s@sbcglobal.net

Quote Originally Posted by jaystuw
    I have only seen this mold once. The good news is the one single example I saw is also the one I have! 45 2.1,
    e-mail me and I will send you as meny samples as you want. John
    my e-mail address is webb-s@sbcglobal.net
    Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! E-mail sent.

LIMPINGJ, sorry for no reply, I haven't opened this thread for awhile.

Boolit Master
    I would like one. Prolly won't fit in a Lee mold. 240 grains, 30 cal must be real long.

David

A single cavity mold just about like the 8mm Maximum will fit fine.

265 gr. .30 caliber bullet

Freighttrain,

I have a .30 caliber mold that makes a w.w + 2% tin bullet that weighs 265 grains. THe bullet is 1 1/2" long and will stabilize in a 10" twist barrel at 1,800 f.p.s.

The mold started out as a Lyman 301620. I lengthened it by 1/4" to increase the bullet weight to 250 grs. which it does weigh in Linotype.

My purpose in doing so was to make a cast bullet that is absolutely 100% positive on the 500 meter steel ram.

I shoot them out of a Rem. 788 .30-30 and, believe it or not, I can get the 250 gr. version in linotype to 2,010 f.p.s. using a capacity load of W760.

If you, or anyone would like a few bullet samples, send me an email with your address and I will send a few to you.

Sincerely,
    w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Quote Originally Posted by w30wcf
    The mold started out as a Lyman 301620. I lengthened it by 1/4" to increase the bullet weight to 250 grs. which it does weigh in Linotype.

If you, or anyone would like a few bullet samples, send me an email with your address and I will send a few to you.

Sincerely,
    w30wcf
    John-
    That number is one of Lymans paper patch jobs. Do you patch it or did you alter the size out also. I would like some samples myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast