Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stortages, no alliant powder here.

Boolit Master

stortages, no alliant powder here.

Hello all. Been trying to find some unique or red dot for a while, not to mention 2400 would not know what a can looks like if i tripped over a case of cans. Anyway i found a pound each of titegroup and longshot. Was wondering if anyone was loading these powders in 303, 7.62×54 and 6.5×55, and share some info with me?
    I found some info here on a search, looking to shoot reduced cast, heavier boolits up to 1500fps.
    Thanks in advance.
    be well
    keep your powder dry, if you have any.
    Last edited by leebuilder; 10-31-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

The only place I buy powder is at the gun shows. We have one once a month here. Last couple of months there has been plenty of Unique and 2400 but today there was none. Zip. Nada. No Red Dot either. They did have Green and Blue Dot. Prices around 25$.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy

Haven't seen any Bullseye for a couple of years......

Boolit Master

Graf's is running a 'special' on smokeless powders but not a single Alliant in stock.
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

I grabbed 3 pounds each of Unique and Bullseye a few months ago when I found them thinking I would use it. Now I am not so sure.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I went to Gun Show today, no shortage of powders.
    Unique, bullseye, 2400, RedDot, many others.
    All in 1lb or 8lb cans.

Boolit Buddy
    2400 is non existant in Canada lol
    I've been using 700x in those calibers with success

2 years ago I had nothing powder wise except a old half empty can of dupont 3031.

Now I am sitting on some 15 lbs of Red Dot, with 12 lbs of other assorted powders including 4227, 4895 3031, and 4350.

Buy online, check 3-4 retailers daily. When they get a big shipment of powder in buy in bulk. Best places and prices for me have been Ballistic Products inc, Midsouth, and Bass Pro Shop. On average you will pay 8 - 10 $ a pound more at bass pro, but they get a lot of shipments in. If you have a store near you there is free ship to store with no hazmat fee.

My 8 lb keg of Red Dot was 22.50 per pound with shipping and hazmat. Well worth the money.

Due diligence and eternal vigilance till you get what you need, or go without.
    If I can do it anyone can. Helps to scan topics here daily as I got a tip on the first bass pro shipment and the BPI sale. If you are going to jump, jump hard with both feet for as much as you can afford.

For some strange reason I keep running into bullseye and 2400. Have plenty of both and wonder why I cant seem to find any 10x or unique. Stupid luck that I dont believe in anyway.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have pretty much switched to using ETR7 from Expansion Industries for ALL my pistol and lite rifle loads. Data very close to TiteGroup. Ultra clean and smoke-free.

Readily available at very good prices.

Forget all the other stuff.

Boolit Grand Master

It's been hit or miss but I was able to pick up a keg of BE and 2400 over the past six months or so. I buy well before I actually need it so I'm not down. The only reason I bought BE was because W231 can't be found by me. When it is I'm buying a case of it

Boolit Master
    I live in a small town and no one here sells reloading supplies. If I don't find it at a local gun show have to bite the bullet and order it if and when a place like grafs or someone else has it. Haven't bought powder in one pound cans in a long time and have switched to 8 lb jugs. Frank

OP,
    Titegroup will work for low recoil loads. Just keep the loads around 10g +/- a couple and work for accuracy. If you want to push GC lead bullets up to 2000 fps, Reloader 7 works well for me. It develops peak pressure faster than the standard slower rifle powders without driving the bullet too fast. I've worked up a very accurate 170g load in .308 with Rx7 and will eventually do the same with 7.62x54R for my 91/30. In the .308, the magic number for 2000 fps was 26.6g with the C309-170-F. This was quite mild in recoil but I wouldn't download it too much from that because the pressures will get into the "poor burning" region.

Another fairly available powder nowadays is IMR 800-X. It burns slower than Unique (around the region of Herco). Just be aware that the flakes are huge and the best way to measure this powder out is to drop low and trickle up.

Good luck

This make powder show up off and on and at one point earlyer in the year there was none.I just get what I needed before I go low and then will not worry about being low and then i am good for sometime.As for rsrocket1 stated about R7 ,I have seen that one more out there,just like see IMR4064 that one was just about aways out there.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

Thanks for reading and responding. I went with a powder burn chart, was looking for Re7, none of that either. I did see some 800x hope its there when i return.
    thanks again, still looking for info on longshot loads, so close to 2400.
    be well

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I went to Gun Show today, no shortage of powders.
    Unique, bullseye, 2400, RedDot, many others.
    All in 1lb or 8lb cans.
    I think I went to the same show as you today. Haven't seen so much powder in a while. There were even kegs of Universal. I got the last 8 pounder of 2400 there. Very excited! First I have seen in 2 1\2 years.
    -William

"How air ye fixed fer meat, Del?" --John Johnson Crow Killer, The Saga of Liver-Eating Johnson

My Feedback: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=stonecrusher

OP you may find this chart from ADI Powder useful. They are a source manufacturer for powders sold by other companies. Of course it goes without saying read the cautions, use legit load data, work up to a load.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handlo...quivalents.asp

Can also use the ADI reloading data - translate their designation to one of the other equivalent powders from that chart. I called Hodgdon about one load and they went to the ADI listing to look up and advise me.

Both the powders you specified have some equivalents listed. Something else as a possible solution. At one point there was no Varget to be found but 4064 was readily available and worked well as a replacement.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    I do not listen to shops now when they tell me stuff is in short supply. Went looking for some H4350 for my 8mm, reloading place said its near impossible to get, so I bought something else. Then stop in the LGS near me, and they had gotten a case of it in. I had asked about them ordering some not long ago. They simply ordered some, guess its not in that short of supply.

Boolit Master

Most of US are the reason for the powder shortage which still lingers. When I see powder that I need a pound of, I buy as much as I can afford. All the extra powder that we have bought in the last couple of years will not be shot up for a long time.

I fess' thought, i did buy a duplicate keg of Unique that will not be shot up for another 2 or three years.

Boolit Master

The writing was on the wall for years, i stocked up on the long range and powder i use for hunting. I missed the bus for my short range cast loadings so i am forced to find alternatives.
    My LGS said he can get most brands except aliant brand, he has stock only because he payes for it up front.
    supply and demand, or demand and supply. The man with cash gets what he needs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast