Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marvelux

Moderator Emeritus

Marvelux

I think I've heard once or twice of someone that uses and like Marvelux, but I can't count high enough to the 'number' the people who have used it and dislike it.

Dave Campbell has written a fine, short, simple, cost analysis article and posted it on his website about casting boolits. I was disturbed to see a well positioned container of marvelux in the leading photo ...to each his own.

http://davecampbelloutdoors.com/pouring-bullets/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I tried it years ago without success. Since then I've found out I likely was using too much of it for starters and not waiting long enough before I spooned it off. Bill Ferguson on CB-L maintained the best way to apply it was with a salt shaker with a light touch as you could always add more. I'd be tempted to try it again but have had good luck with NEI's flux. Did however order some beeswax the other day just to see if I liked it any better. We'll see.
    Mike

Benefactor Member NRA
    Life Member Iowa Firearms Coalition
    US Army Vet

There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation.
    One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams 1826

Boolit Master
    I have a 16 oz container of Marvelux that I've been working out of for the past 30 years. It only takes a couple of pinches for it to flux a 10# pot. I have about 3 oz of it left.I have also tried a number of other things to flux with during those years. I've tried saw dust, boolit lube, crayons, beeswax, candle wax, hard sealing wax, wheel bearing grease, they all work to some degree or other and some better than others. I always come back to that container of Marvelux. Boolit lube is I think the second best, and I have used it quite a bit.

Boolit Master

I'm in the 'tried it and didn't like it' group.

Glad some folks are able to use it successfully...

me, I'll just stick to my sawdust and other 'stuff.'
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I used it exclusively when I started many years ago with great success. Only reason I am not using it now is it's easier to get paraffin.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I think I've heard once or twice of someone that uses and like Marvelux, but I can't count high enough to the 'number' the people who have used it and dislike it.

Dave Campbell has written a fine, short, simple, cost analysis article and posted it on his website about casting boolits. I was disturbed to see a well positioned container of marvelux in the leading photo ...to each his own.

http://davecampbelloutdoors.com/pouring-bullets/
    Add one to that count. It is destructive and dangerous . I would not allow it anywhere near a casting pot.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

It seems to rust the pot. I only use it during the pre ingot phase, just to get rid of it. I prefer sawdust.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Add one to that count. It is destructive and dangerous . I would not allow it anywhere near a casting pot.
    What is destructive and dangerous about it? A plain and simple question and not to be pointed or mean.

Boolit Master

What is destructive and dangerous about it? A plain and simple question and not to be pointed or mean.
    Yes, I asked myself that question too.

I've used it from time to time for 40 some years and I don't recall any such warning before.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 10-28-2015 at 06:04 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I used it for couple casting sessions and will never use it again. Crapped up my RCBS furnace.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Chevroner
    Asking questions like that is the primary purpose of this board. Never apologize for an honest question.

Destructive:

It is very hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture out of the air and forms a crusty film on the surface of everything it touches. It will cause severe rusting of your pot, your molds, and any other iron objects it comes in contact with.

Dangerous: This crusty film contains WATER. It will form on your stirring and skimming spoon and when it cools will absorb water from the air. Then when you put your spoon back into the pot to stir or skin, you get a nasty surprise.

Don't ask me how I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well!

I am having second thoughts.

It has been many years since I used it and the description on the Brownellls website seems to dispute my claims.

Quote:
    Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless Flux

Far and away the most popular - and successful - bullet casting flux, MARVELUX has been on the market since 1971 filling the needs of knowledgeable and successful professional and hobbyist bullet casters. MARVELUX is non-corrosive to iron and steel, and does not produce fumes which can cause corrosion, as does sal-ammoniac (ammonium chloride). In fact, regular use will keep your pot free from rust! Reduces dross formation dramatically while increasing fluidity of bullet alloys, making it easier to obtain well filled-out bullets.

Some of you old timers chime in here. What flux am I remembering having the trouble with?
    Last edited by williamwaco; 10-28-2015 at 07:56 PM.

- Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    The MSDS for it says it is borax. Has anybody here used 20 mule team borax? I know blacksmiths that use it to weld iron and steel parts together.

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago but remember the black glass/ceramic like ring on handles of stainless spoons and around my big iron pot. Once was enough for me no matter if was done correctly or not.

Banned
    will never use this **** again. I started casting in the early 1960's

Is marvelux the same as the product MidwayUSA sells for casting flux?
    I bought a can when first started and notice it rusted my Lee but no issues with the ProMelt. I use it as I have nothing else and forget to gather sawdust.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unique View Post
    I used it for couple casting sessions and will never use it again. Crapped up my RCBS furnace.
    Then you were using to much. Like I said it only takes a couple of pinches to work.
    Last edited by 45-70 Chevroner; 10-29-2015 at 11:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Chevroner
    Asking questions like that is the primary purpose of this board. Never apologize for an honest question.

Destructive:

It is very hygroscopic. It absorbs moisture out of the air and forms a crusty film on the surface of everything it touches. It will cause severe rusting of your pot, your molds, and any other iron objects it comes in contact with.

Dangerous: This crusty film contains WATER. It will form on your stirring and skimming spoon and when it cools will absorb water from the air. Then when you put your spoon back into the pot to stir or skin, you get a nasty surprise.

Don't ask me how I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well!

I am having second thoughts.

It has been many years since I used it and the description on the Brownellls website seems to dispute my claims.

Quote:
    Non-Smoking Non-Fuming Odorless Flux

Far and away the most popular - and successful - bullet casting flux, MARVELUX has been on the market since 1971 filling the needs of knowledgeable and successful professional and hobbyist bullet casters. MARVELUX is non-corrosive to iron and steel, and does not produce fumes which can cause corrosion, as does sal-ammoniac (ammonium chloride). In fact, regular use will keep your pot free from rust! Reduces dross formation dramatically while increasing fluidity of bullet alloys, making it easier to obtain well filled-out bullets.

Some of you old timers chime in here. What flux am I remembering having the trouble with?
    I have used Marvelux for a long time and this has never happened. As a mater of fact it was the first flux I ever used. I know that a lot of guys on here cast at a lower temperture than I do and that is where your problem lies with the moisture.
    I do all my casting at or above 800 degrees.

Tried it when I first started out and didn't care for it. Still have most of a jar left (if it hasn't turned into a rock).

Maybe one of you that uses Marvelux successfully could post a youtube video showing how to use it? All I've ever managed to do with it is make a mess and rust my tools. There's a large can of the stuff in my casting area that I'd like to use up if it actually works as well as the ad copy claims.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    Then you were using to much. Like I said it only takes a couple of pinches to work.
    The instructions said "pea sized or 1/8 teaspoon" I used the measuring spoon.

- Henry Ford