MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38-55 and Unique loads

38-55 and Unique loads

I just started shooting an H&R Target 38-55 and am looking for load data for Unique with the Lee 379-260RF and the Oregon Trail 240 grain bullets.

On my first time out I tried 9.0 Unique and the 240 and managed to hit gongs out to 450 yards although the 100 yard group was nothing to write home about. The 9.0 grain load gave just short of 1300 FPS and I'm hoping for a bit more along with smaller groups.

I'm putting a .404 Lyman #17 on and using a Williams Foolproof target knob rear. My goal is to reach the 800 yard buffalo...

It has been 20+ years since I've loaded for any rifle and I made every mistake in the book with this ammo and still did reasonablly good. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dusty

I have been doing some work with a 38-55 lately but have not tried Unique.

Ken Waters Pet Loads lists no Unique loads for this cartridge.
    Lyman 42 says 10.6gr Unique with a 250gr cast bullet for 1310 fps
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook says 7.0gr to 9.5gr Unique with a 249gr cast bullet (975-1170fps)
    RCBS Cast Bullet Manual says 8.0gr to 9.0gr Unique with a 250gr cast bullet (1033-1176fps)

2400 has worked well for me with the Lee bullet if you have some of that.

-ktw

Boolit Master
    Dusty, I use around 9.0 grains of Red Dot in my H&R 38/55, and Unique should give nearly the same results. The most important thing I have found is that your boolit needs to be at least .380 after sizing for top accuracy in this gun. My Lee 250 mold drops them @ .383 or so, after a trip thru the .379 sizer they measure right at .380. This bullet is more accurate in my gun than the Lyman 260-grainer, mostly I think because the Lyman casts smaller.
    Anyway, this is a great load, it is accurate, very clean, and quiet. To my ears, it sounds a lot like a short-barreled .22 rifle, but with lots more horsepower. Good luck and enjoy the search!
    lathesmith

Boolit Master

I would think that you are right at max range for that light of a boolit. I can't imagine it will hold up out to 800, not to mention that sight probably won't elevate that high. I shoot a 38-55 with a 15 twist barrel and 335gr boolit and it does ok out to 600. I'm not sure what the twist is on the H&Rs but I don't think it is near that fast.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Thanks for the help!
    KTW- I do have lots of 2400. What is your load? I've seen everything from 16 to 18 grains listed... My bullets measure .380 and chamber fine in Starline brass.
    BOZ- I think the twist is 1:18...
    Lathesmith- 9.0 of Unique is VERY pleasant and I'm sure very similar to your Red Dot loads. I'm just trying to get a little more oomph for the long shots.
    Case prep went much smoother last night so I'm optimistic that the ammo produced will be of betteer quality than the first try. I'm shooting on Saturday so I'll let you know how things go.
    Thanks again'
    Dusty

16.0gr 2400 with the Lee 379-250-RF worked for me and ran 1450 fps in a 30" barrel.

I earlier listed the results of a test series with a 265gr cast bullet, 2400 and IMR4227, with and without fillers in this post.

-ktw

Le Loup Solitaire

Unique for 38-55

Have been using two molds for 38-55; one is an older Lyman 375248 single cav. and the other is an old WRA style (with wooden handles and brass ferrules). They drop castings at around 255 grains with WW. They mike at .379-.380 and I shoot them lubed with NRA/alox unsized in a Winny Hi-wall and 2 94's ( Standard rifle and an SRC). I took loading data from an old Lyman Handbook of Cast Bullets for Unique which listed 10.6 grains. I trimmed that to 10 grains as it grouped better with slightly less powder. The velocity is listed as around 1300 fps. The grouping with the rifle is around 3 inches at 100yds, but the Hi-wall does a lot better at around 1.5 inches The same loading in back of Lyman #37583, which is a lot lighter, is around 1600 fps. I prefer this bolitt for the SRC as it recoils a bit less and sometimes load it with 5 grains Unique as a plinking load. LLS

Boolit Master
    I have several 38-55 rifles both single shots and lever actions. After a lot of experimentation I use a lyman 248 gr slug with 18 gr of AA 5744. Boolits are sized.379 and in my H&R Target classic it prints in to 1MOA for five shot ghroups and 1.5 moa for 10 shot groups. It also prints around 3 inches for 10 shots at 200 yards. Beyound about 300 yards the light bullet runs out of steam and groups open up considerably into the 3 to 4 moa range. You need a 300 or heavier bullet for ranges longer than around 300 yards for good accuracy and wind bucking.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Wheeler View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    KTW- I do have lots of 2400. What is your load? I've seen everything from 16 to 18 grains listed... My bullets measure .380 and chamber fine in Starline brass.
    BOZ- I think the twist is 1:18...
    Lathesmith- 9.0 of Unique is VERY pleasant and I'm sure very similar to your Red Dot loads. I'm just trying to get a little more oomph for the long shots.
    Case prep went much smoother last night so I'm optimistic that the ammo produced will be of betteer quality than the first try. I'm shooting on Saturday so I'll let you know how things go.
    Thanks again'
    Dusty
    I'll bet that a 300 would shoot ok if you could find something large enough. I'd offer some 335s to try but they come out of the mold around .377 and that is probably too small.

Bob

Yesterday at the range...

18.0 2400 and 240 Oregon Trails, loaded out to just short of the lands gave me 1500 fps and 3" groups at 100 yds. No leading! With the new .404 high 17a front and the Williams Foolproof bottomed out I was 8" high at 100...
    Moved the target back to 300 and raised the rear to "just short of the 1st bog line" on the rear (I'll count clicks today!) put me "on" at 300...with lots of rear sigh elevation to go!

I'll check out the 10.0 Unique loads next weekend...

I need lots more practice and need to read the wind better but it was a good start considering I've only put 100 rounds through the rifle! Thanks again for the help!

Dusty

Thought I'd follow up on my original post...
    Went to Quigley with the H&R Target .38-55, 18 gr 5744 and 240 grain Oregon Trail boolits. It was REALLY windy! Those little 240's blew all over the place. I finished with 6 total hits out of 48, 585 out of 601 shooters...and enjoyed every shot!! Little boolits don't make much dust to spot at long range. Wife came with me, had a great time and wants to shoot next year--a good reason to buy another rifle! Thanks for your help!
    Dusty

I've been playing in the neighborhood of 15-19 grains of 4759 and 16-20 grains of 5744. These start off comfortable and roar a little bit at the other end of the spectrum. Seems like combustion and accuracy improve as the load gets hotter -- unfortunately.

The 4759 seems to burn more completely and cleaner. I've heard that dacron wads can improve consistency, but I really don't like using them for a number of reasons. YMMV.

I have heard it said that 4759 is the best smokeless powder to use in the 38-55. Holy Black, of course, will work better in every sense -- consistency, accuracy, comfort, and correctness.

Boolit Master
    Do I smell a group buy coming?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by August View Post
    I've been playing in the neighborhood of 15-19 grains of 4759 and 16-20 grains of 5744. These start off comfortable and roar a little bit at the other end of the spectrum. Seems like combustion and accuracy improve as the load gets hotter -- unfortunately.

The 4759 seems to burn more completely and cleaner. I've heard that dacron wads can improve consistency, but I really don't like using them for a number of reasons. YMMV.

I have heard it said that 4759 is the best smokeless powder to use in the 38-55. Holy Black, of course, will work better in every sense -- consistency, accuracy, comfort, and correctness.
    I've had very good luck out of 4759 in just about everything I've tried it in with CBs. It is my go to powder in the milsurps. Around 20grs seems to work for just about everything unless there is another problem. Doesn't seem to be position sensitive so far.
    On the other hand BP works very well in my 38-55 so I haven't tried it in that.

Bob

Boolit Bub
    I shot my 38-55 at the Q this year too. I got 33 out of 48 for 60th place. I shoot Lyman 335 gr bullet and 18 gr of 5744. I use poly filling and a topped by a cardboard wad. Try the heavy bullet even if you think the twist is too slow. Mine has a 1:18.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus in Wyoming View Post
    I shot my 38-55 at the Q this year too. I got 33 out of 48 for 60th place. I shoot Lyman 335 gr bullet and 18 gr of 5744. I use poly filling and a topped by a cardboard wad. Try the heavy bullet even if you think the twist is too slow. Mine has a 1:18.
    what gun are u shooting i have a traditional hunter and have shot the 335 lyman with black
    with good results , need a rear buttstock as mine is a crestant, looking for a smokeless load, i have 245 gr cast and 335 lyman -wade

Boolit Buddy
    2400 performed better in my Cowboy. Unique was good, 2400 more better.

Boolit Master
    I feel week. I have been using 8gr of unique and 235gr noe bullet. 100yd groups are very good. I bought some different size NOE sizing dies to try. I have a C.Sharps 1885. It's a Badger barrel wilt small .375 bore

Love 9-10 grains of Unique in my Marlin 1893 38 55.

Banned

10 grains of Unique or 9 grains of 700X here. All I shoot is paper at 100 yards though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast