Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi-Tek vs. Powdercoating

Fredj if your shooting 338 maybe your results will be better than mine. I've gotten HiTek to 1500 PB accurate, changed to PC above that (300BO). 308W @ 2600 with HiTek less GC was barely on paper, even with ~36BHN alloy. AC COWW with GC and HiTek didn't lead but accuracy was 4-5" @ 100. H.T.'d wasn't much better. IMHO, HiTek will take the 1600+ fps (with the right alloy & fit) but it's tumble lube so on BB I think the base isn't evenly coated for great accuracy. I suspect the same problem sans GC. Don't have a FB rifle mould so can't say.
    I've just used red, black, green, gold & white and get interest in coating from others at the range. Played a 3 target timed @ 7 yd game with friend Wed, we tied. He used WWbox 165 in 40sw & I used 165 green HiTek, ACWW. We both shot the same pig, Thursday @ maybe 20 yds - he got front left leg and I got inch to the right of the tail. He ran another 100 yds on 3 legs before expiring. Only found one entry hole in the right ham, bleeding from the mouth. Both fired 5 rnds, my 3rd hit and 2 more @ ~50 yds. Running low on time so unfortunately I didn't recover the boolit. Yotes will have a good super.
    Last edited by popper; 11-13-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    Whatever!

Hey popper, gonna give the 6.8 a go @ 100 tomorrow using the NOE F mold & PC. My initial test at 50 gave me 1.5" groups. So I added a little lino & water dropped, hope to toughen up the alloy a bit. The vel was right at 2000fps, which I would like to stay at or just under. Powder was LT-32, so a little bit slow but lower pressure. I'll report back.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys, I have never user Hi-Tek before, but I am wondering what is the difference in the thickness of the coating that goes on the boolit compared to powder coating. I have hundreds of boolits that are powder coated but I have feeding issues and jams. I want to be able to handle the boolits so I want to coat them with something.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post

And it may sound bad but I really don't care for the attention they bring. I'm just done with every other guy at the range that sees them having to ask about them, argue that I'm killing my gun, blah blah blah
    Hi Tek metallic colours help here. I use bronze and gold HT for my 45-70 practise loads,we use a moving moose target and the whole hunting club is there. Nobody notices anything.

My practise 325 RCBS 45-70 Hi Teked bullet goes 1900 fps accurately from a Marlin SBL. The moose target is not slow @ 75 meters, I need the velocity.

To the OP, I use both methods. I even double PC some (Accurate Molds Bevel Base) 470 NE bullets. I usually make big batches of bullets with Hi Tek. At least five years both. They both work. I cast, coat and load for about a dozen calibers.

Hi Tek Bronze 45-70 with 470 grn Applegate, 325 grn RCBS. Plain base both:

Hi Tek Gold 470 NE 350 (or 325??) grn Lee GC plinker (velocity is in meters per sec, about 2300 fps.) This is my highest velocity cast load.

Last edited by Petander; 04-25-2023 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Add pics.

Boolit Master
    Hi Tek TMG Gold , Smoke's PC (Double coat, B&W mix with Black & Clear on top).

Boolit Master
    Here is a combination of Hi Tek & PC:

Boolit Grand Master

Those Boolits all look terrific Petander! I like your choices of colours and particularly the mottled ones like above and your black and white mix two posts back.

Excellent!

Makes me want to try PC so maybe I should! I have NLG moulds for both .44 and .303 though they were not made for powder coating, they were made to be knurled but would work fine for powder coating if left smooth.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    I do Hi-Tek but I think it is more temperature sensitive. You need to have your oven temperature and cooking time pretty much where they tell you. It doesn't take too well to being outside of the parameters.
    [

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12