Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Temperature Differences

Boolit Man

Temperature Differences

There seems to be some confusion as to temperature differences in toaster ovens. There is an easy way to ascertain the quirks of your particular model. It is called a Uniformity Survey. The procedure used is determined by the size of the furnace or oven in question. For a toaster oven with less than 3 cubic feet of heating area, I made up 10 K-Type thermocouples and put them on a fixture to spread them out to different locations in the oven. In even the convection ovens available there is a possible difference of up to 100 degrees F. at different points inside the oven. The temperatures tend to come closer together as the oven is left to "soak" say an hour or so, but that is not how I use it for powder coating, I turn it on, then when the controller says it is up to temp, I put my tray of PC covered boolits in for 20 minutes or so, then take them out to cool and load the oven with more cold trays. Using that procedure, the oven really never gets to a uniform temp. There is only ONE point where the temp in the oven is what the indicator says it is, usually where the thermocouple for the control is located. For more information on this subject try Googling "Temperature Uniformity Survey" and see how the pro's do it. There is even a chart showing how to build a fixture for your own oven. Back when I worked for a living, as a maintenance electrician, the lowest guy on the seniority list usually got stuck doing the surveys in the heat-treat dept that had over 80 furnaces ranging from 1 cubic foot to the largest with over 4000 cubic feet that required a fixture with over a hundred thermocouples to survey. Some furnaces needed to soak for over an hour before the temps came close enough together to record. I spent 5 years there before I had seniority to get out of that shop.

Boolit Master
    A convection oven with a rotating turntable and at least 4 sensors for the temperature regulation would be perfect.
    But, We are Coating Bullets, not sending a man to the moon.
    Put some effort into the monitoring and don't rely on Gadgets.
    I am not a fan of " Set It , And Forget it "

Boolit Master

I use a small Black and Decker toaster oven with a 6" x 10" tray. It is plugged into a PID unit set a 400°F.
    I drilled several holes and put a K thermocouple in the oven- the temperature is within 2°F - 3°F of 400°F no matter where the thermocouple is placed in the oven.
    Small does work well.
    I plugged the holes with 3/8" sheet metal screws and get consistent results.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...