Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 40-65 and paper patched bullets

Boolit Grand Master

I was out and tested the loads again today at the club 64 grns 2f old ensford and the 420 grn 40 cal baco bullet pached with 2 diffrent papers (repeat of best last sunday) did around 3 1/2" at 200 yds again. Then upped charge to 66 grns with the 2 papers for around 3" groups. It was colder, windier and less light today so that may have had some effect also. Had a nice lube star on muzzle. Blow tubed 2 breaths each shot and loading was smooth and easy. With the tracing paper bullets measured .398 after light wipe with JoJoba oil and the artists paper (.0003 thicker) measured .399 dia after the light wipe of oil. These 2 pacon brand papers didnt seem to absorb the oil like the Seth Cole does. Temp was only around 40 degrees wind was 10 mph or so and gust to 20-25 running from 10:00-2:00. Light was down some and this is a south facing range to boot. Cases looked good after firing no blow back on them. Patches werent recovered do to wind conditions.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Sounds pretty good.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Im having fun, and learning. Todays conditions werent as good as last weeks but groups were same or very close. I very lightly polished the mould after the last session with shimichrome metal polish since bullets were sticking in the one half always requiring a couple taps to remove them. With my small hole gage It looks like I might have opened it up .001 on dia, but under magnification the surface is much smoother. The added dia now may make the seth cole paper work much better. Im hoping as the pacon tracing paper thats working best now I only have 1 pad of and cant find any more.

Staples Office supply store has some usable papers in their drafting section. They have some rolled 8# paper that is very similar to Seth Cole.

Boolit Grand Master

Why is it when you start to find or find a good load one of the components change or dry up. I have 2 rolls of the seth cole 8 lp and one of the 7 lb (.0011 thk) a ream of onion paper from the paper store, some onion paper from Baco, and several from diffrent stores.

Seems that's just the way things go. When I got my 405 winchester, I tried many powders and finally got some RL 12.. about 6 months after they discontinued it... Luckily tho I found another couple of cans and bought those and they are stored in a mostly controlled environment unopened...
    Moral of the story I think is be quick about testing and then buy a lifetime supply of the stuff that works the best.

Boolit Grand Master

I my have a couple lbs of reloader 12 back on the bench yet from my high power days. I know theres a couple 8lbers or R15 and Varget. I know I got that pacon tracing paper at local wallmarts and now they swithed to pacon artists paper. Ill keep watching if it shows up Ill buy all thats on the shelf LOL.

Boolit Master
    If you punch "pacon tracing paper" into google, you will have no problem finding a pile of it.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks Brent, If one of these other papers dont pan out Ill have to do that. Its just seems what ever I have theleast of or is unavailable is what works the best almost always. LOL. I have 2 lbs of Norma MRP Im gaurding as my 300 win mag shines with it and its no longer available. I did the load work up with it not knowing it was "obsolete".

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I have 2 lbs of Norma MRP Im gaurding as my 300 win mag shines with it and its no longer available. I did the load work up with it not knowing it was "obsolete".

Thats odd. I'm pretty sure I just bought a pound of it to test my PP 8mm loads with.

When it comes to paper for patching I'm pretty particular what I use. There is a difference how it releases and shreds.
    I favor cotton parchment deed onion skin with a cockle finish.
    I pick my paper that acts like a ink blotter, I guess not many know what that is any more, But I like the paper when you drop a drop of water on it, it soaks through. Paper like the thin translucent like vellum has a place if you like to use it during wet conditions or carry it in your pockets when hunting and snow could drop into your pocket. and it works ok but it stays on the bullet farther.
    Buying onion skin paper like 7.5# 8# 9# does not mean that the 7# is thinner then the 9#. I have 9# 100% cotton that is .0016" thick and 7.5# that is .0019" thick. The sizing that is added to the paper that makes it shiny and holds the ink from bleeding through is what adds to the weight to the paper, not the thickness.
    If you can find some of the discontinued Southworth paper like the 100% 8-D that is a 7.5# that is .00186" thick or the 29-D that is 75% 9# .0018 thick. 409 DNR 25% that is .00214" thick. All of those are a cockle finish which will stretch a little when you wrap it and the cotton sort of acts like Velcro to hold the wrap folded under tight and it shreds into fine strips. and releases right in front of the muzzle if the wind is calm.
    I see it in accuracy comparing the 100% parchment deed compared to the 100% cotton Vellums that are translucent tracing papers.
    The problem with the onion skin Southworth that was mostly used for typewriters for making carbon copies is very hard to find.
    Last edited by Lead pot; 12-21-2015 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Lead pot, The ream of onion paper I have here is schoellershammer purchased from the papermill store on line. Its .0016 thick. label dosnt give a pounds wieght but there is a 4.9M designation This is a german made paper. It does seem to absorb waters quicker and easier than some I have. If youd like I could send you a few sheets easy enough.

CG I appreciate the offer but I think I have enough to last my time behind the buttplate. I found a dusty basement in a down town office supply store that had some.

Boolit Grand Master

Got a semi Calmn day yesterday with the 40-65 and the PP bullet Im working with. Set Cole 8 lb paper 2 wraps 45* ends .030 gap between. .100 open center in base wrap. Actually seen and recovered some of the patches for the first time. They looked good most pieces were confetti just strips rifling width. A few under wraps were forunf with only afew stringers hanging on. Base wrap was intact no burns and patches generaly looked good. These were wiped lightly with Jo Joba oil. Groups werent quite as good as before but light was down and wind at times also. Patches were pretty much found 3feet from the muzzle on the ground.

Boolit Buddy
    "Funny, all my rifles work the same."

+1

Although I did have to ask BACO to make me a 385 grain .396" diameter PP mould for my Shiloh .40-60 Maynard LRE. That was about as long a bullet I could get to stabilize in my early-B series 1874 with its 18" twist. Shiloh has since dropped the .40-60 Maynard from their chamber options, BUT are now using a 16" twist (IIRC) for all of their .40 caliber offerings. My 1877 Shiloh (25 months now & counting on backorder) may end up coming to me with a .40-50 SS chamber if I feel adventurous when it hits the shop floor and I have to 'get off the pot' as it were. This is assuming I live long enough! Good things are worth waitin' for. Makes finally gettin' it all the sweeter.

Jim

Boolit Master
    This is the one that BACO made for me and which will be going into a 14 twist .40-65. I think it would be just fine in a 16-twist as well, at least to the ram line anyway.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Search.aspx?TERM=JIM395415E

Boolit Buddy
    that bullet in 0.396 works well breech seated in my 40/72.
    it is firm to seat with a push seater.
    the full case takes 85 gn os swiss 1.0 or 1.5 droptubed in, and a 0.060 wad.
    brent, check your mail.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Master
    No mail yet, Bruce.