Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Alcan powders in .30 Carbine?

Boolit Master

Alcan powders in .30 Carbine?

I recently found a stash of sealed cans of AL-5 and AL-7 at a local shop that must have been selling the equipment of a passed caster... picked up over 40 molds very cheap! But I digress, I want to load some cast boolits in .30 Carbine and would like to know if anyone has any starting loads using these powders? I suspect AL-7 is somewhat in the burn range of Unique and I could start low using that range and work up but I'd surely use anyones experience as well! I also suspect powder-coated boolits might just be near perfect for a cheap plinking load in this caliber!

Boolit Master
    Al-8 is the only Alcan data I can find for rifle. If this is for a pistol, I would look to see if 32-20 data would work.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed.
    - Mark Twain

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.
    - Mark Twain

Banned

32-20 data will work very well in the revolver.
    I use 32-20 brass trimmed down and fire formed in my 30 carbine revolver anyway [it's like the 327 federal before the 327 federal]

anyway.
    AL-8 was the slower version of the alcan series.
    5 was on the faster side and made some very good low flash 38 special type target-self defense loads.[and target type 12 ga loads]
    7 was closer to the unique speed.
    8 was more on the order of 2400/blue-dot and had some magnum type shot-shell applications.

I really think their biggest down fall was their boutique type attitude towards their powder sales.

Boolit Grand Master

Al 8 was a Speer recommended powder for use in the 30 Carbine back in the late '60s/early '70s. I used quite a bit of it under the 311410 and then the 311356 back then. It also worked extremely well with Speer 100 gr Plinkers and their 110 gr RN Carbine bullet. As mentioned Al 7 is close to Unique and AL 5 was even faster. Hard to say if any data is available to be found. As mentioned the start loads for any 32-20s using either would be the place to start.

If the loads are to be used in an M1 Carbine then be very careful the bullets exit the barrel even if the action functions which it can do. With small charges of faster burning powder the bullet is pushed beyond the gas hole. The pressure is relieved as the gas system begins to function with the bullet sticking in the barrel in front of the gas hole. The system can function enough to chamber another round. Been there, done that......too many times years ago. I no longer use the faster burning powders for any 30 Carbine loads to be used in and M1 Carbine.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

I never used AL 7 or AL8, but burned up a bunch of AL5 and it was slower than Unique by a good margin. I think I was using 15 grs in 6.5 Swede with 170 gr cast to get 1500 fps and close to 8 grs in 38 spl for 900 fps.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I was lucky enough to get an unopened three pound can of AL-8. It worked very well in my Carbine. I used 10.3 grains with a 115-120 boolit.

Boolit Master

I forget what cast book, but seems to me AL 7was the fastes powder that they could get to operate the slide on a carbine.

For shootin purposes any of the AL's are bound to perform adequately.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

Thanks guys! Sounds like the AL-5 and 7 are better relegated to revolver and 9 mm or .45 loads! Need some of that ammo as well!

Banned

the Lyman third edition [cast bullet manual] has some data for all three powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Al 8 was a Speer recommended powder for use in the 30 Carbine back in the late '60s/early '70s. I used quite a bit of it under the 311410 and then the 311356 back then. It also worked extremely well with Speer 100 gr Plinkers and their 110 gr RN Carbine bullet. As mentioned Al 7 is close to Unique and AL 5 was even faster. Hard to say if any data is available to be found. As mentioned the start loads for any 32-20s using either would be the place to start.

If the loads are to be used in an M1 Carbine then be very careful the bullets exit the barrel even if the action functions which it can do. With small charges of faster burning powder the bullet is pushed beyond the gas hole. The pressure is relieved as the gas system begins to function with the bullet sticking in the barrel in front of the gas hole. The system can function enough to chamber another round. Been there, done that......too many times years ago. I no longer use the faster burning powders for any 30 Carbine loads to be used in and M1 Carbine.

Larry Gibson
    trooperdan; If you can find a Sierra bullet manual (1971) there are many loads for all three powders.

30 carbine 20 " bbl
    110 308 round nose
    AL-8 start 10.7 grs-1700fps, max 11.6 grs-1800fps

45 acp
    185 gr jacketed
    Unique- 5.7 start-8.5 max-1100 fps
    AL-5 -7.6 start-10.0 max-1000fps
    They don't list 7 or 8 for 45 as it is to slow

38 spl
    158 jacketed
    Unique-5.0 start-6.4 max 950fps
    AL-5 -6.9 start-8.0 max-1000fps

On a complete burn rate chart I have...
    Unique #53
    Herco #64
    WSF #67
    AL-5 #69
    AL-7#71
    HS6#73
    AL-8 #78
    2400#101

As you can see AL-5 is slower than Unique by a good margin,AL-7 more so, and this is what I found in loading it. AL-8 is faster than 2400 by some stretch also. If you can't find data for the cartridges you want to load send a pm, I have several manuals with Alcan data. Don't want to see you trying to pound a stuck bullet of of the barrel of your favorite handgun thinking Unique start data was a good point.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, what swheeler said. Speer #9 doesn't show any loads with AL-anything for rifle. It shows AL7,8 for 30 Carbine Blackhawk.
    in 357, AL 5 seems about HS6 speed. In .38 Spl, it shows a wee bit slower than Herco, with 158 swc.
    my two cents...

Boolit Bub
    As a young man I switched powder bottles on a Mec 600 jr. It had the red dot bar in it for trap loads and you guessed it Alcan 5. Before I stopped shooting them it split the forearm on a nice old over/under.

Boolit Master

Very helpful info guys! Thanks a bunch for this!