Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Original 45 Colt

I have an Uberti Schofield in .45 Colt that I've tried loading some lead bullets in but didn't care for (too hard an alloy and a design that I had to seat over the front driving band to crimp). I've got an old Lee .456-220-1R made for the Ruger Old Army that I figured I'd try casting up and then sizing to .454". Not sure how things will work out with just plain ol' WWs but I figured I'd giver 'er a shot and see.

Boolit Grand Master

I sold my Blackhawk in 45 COLY, but use alot of the Lee 200 grain SWC designed for the 45ACP. Just crimped over the front band. They were a good plinking bullet out to about 50 yards. I used 2 cavity but it is available in 6 cavity.
    For the guys that shoot both cartridges would give them another option.

bump so I can find tomorrow and print

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    I've got one of the old Lyman Ideal tong loaders/bullet moulds, for the .45 Colt.

I'll cast a few and post a picture. Found the tool on a beam in an old barn thirty years ago out near White Sulphur Springs, MT.

FN in MT
    FN,

I for one would love to see some pics of it. Please.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
    I've got one of the old Lyman Ideal tong loaders/bullet moulds, for the .45 Colt.

I'll cast a few and post a picture. Found the tool on a beam in an old barn thirty years ago out near White Sulphur Springs, MT.

FN in MT
    FN

It would be just great if you could also let us know what your alloy is and then put a micrometer to the bullets and post the critical dimensions. (Over all length, base band length, groove width and depth, band diameter, nose diameter and tip diameter, etc)

Tom Myers

Boolit Master
    Hope FN can get a chance to post a pic and measurements soon.

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

45 colt

the original 45 colt revolver hasn't any room for larger rim,but the 1917 S&W and colt NS did so they made the rim bigger.
    WILDCATT

Boolit Master
    opentop did you get to try the mold you ordered from Midway yet? With the interest in this thread it seems there might be enough interest in a nice mold from Old West or another custom maker. I would be in for a 3 or 4 cavity.

Limpingj I cast with it and it's a great looking boolit. I have been thinking of a group buy for a 6 cav. lee mold. I have to run right now, but I'll post a pic tonight.

Tom Myers, can we use your drawing for a group buy?
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

here is the pic of the lyman 454190 using ACWW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 454190-2.jpg  
    Appalachian American

When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said, “Only the Government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by opentop View Post
    Limpingj I cast with it and it's a great looking boolit. I have been thinking of a group buy for a 6 cav. lee mold. I have to run right now, but I'll post a pic tonight.

OpenTop,

By all means. You are more than welcome to use the drawing.

Tom Myers

Boolit Master

I also have an Ideal 45 Colt tong tool. I will cast up some bullets today and post them. I personally like to use the Big Lube(tm) 45 bullets in the 200 grain size and use Schofield brass for my wife's guns. I am a 44-40 man myself. I also have an454190 mould but don't know if it is Ideal or Lyman, I'll have to look.

Quote Originally Posted by opentop View Post

I am in for this Opentop

Glad to see you in deaton.

I posted a thread in support of interest at http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=44367
    Appalachian American

Boolit Master
    I would be happy (hint hint new sponser) for a Lyman 4 banger, I have a new Lyman 2 banger and they must have a good cherry currently, a fine boolit it casts

Boolit Master

Ideal tong tool vs new Lyman 454190 pics

The tong tool is on the left. Except for the rounded lube grooves there is no discernable difference.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.

bump again

The original military 45 Colt load was built around a 230 grain bullet, and 30 grains of black powder. A few years back, NEI offered a mold for this bullet. I don't know if it still in their line up, but they must still have the cherry hanging out there.

It was a hollow base design as was most factory ammo until recently. The hollow base allowed the base to expand the fit those large cylinder throats and give a good gas seal.

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen: I have some older handguns such as 38 S&W 44.40, 45lc .455 Webley ect. All of which originally had hollow base bullets. Seeing as how Lee Precision produces a hollow base mould for rifle why couldn't they make one in their production line for hollow base bullets in these calibers? With the popularity of cowboy shooting I think that this mould would sell.
    I sent them a E-mail a few years ago suggesting this but never really got an answer. Do you think there is enough interest in this forum to approach them?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast