WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drone's and Your Hobby

Boolit Buddy
    I need to look at this- I wanted to build a rc glider- looks like a Cal Condor... maybe shoot at it?? (joking)

AND now I do want to go finish the RC Storch I started just so I can get meshed into this BS.. it has tiny camera in belly... now it;s drone??.
    what will the RC folks think when their 'rights' get messed with another are there groups to help say a brach of the NRA-RC-drone Assoc??

Can we arm the drone go after pig or coyotes??

we have laws enforce them- don;t make more folks criminal over night with a broad brush-
    enforce and punish those we have now- not let them walk

Boolit Buddy
    I've been flying r/c since the late 70's AMA 192171. An r/c aircraft is flown line of sight only, in other words if you can't see it you cant control it with a 500 foot ceiling. It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft. And yes a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.

Boolit Master

Need CB or Ham license? BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by legend 550 View Post
    It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft.
    Wait, is that in FAA rules or are you trying to apply logic to bureaucrats?
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

[QUOTE=Alan B;3409017]I need to look at this- I wanted to build a rc glider- looks like a Cal Condor... maybe shoot at it?? (joking)

AND now I do want to go finish the RC Storch I started just so I can get meshed into this BS.. it has tiny camera in belly... now it;s drone??.
    what will the RC folks think when their 'rights' get messed with another are there groups to help say a brach of the NRA-RC-drone Assoc??

Can we arm the drone go after pig or coyotes??

we have laws enforce them- don;t make more folks criminal over night with a broad brush-
    enforce and punish those we have now- not let them walk[/QUOTe

Be sure to use lead free, California compliant ammo to shoot down the condor drone...big fine for shooting a drone with lead that birds can eat and get lead poisioning.

I grew up flying model aircraft (mostly two meter sailplanes) reading that nonsense makes me angry. The real question I have is how much money does it cost to send an agent out from a 3 lettered agency to investigate a "drone" that turned out to be a goose.

Boolit Master
    I've been flying r/c since the late 70's AMA 192171. An r/c aircraft is flown line of sight only, in other words if you can't see it you cant control it with a 500 foot ceiling. It becomes a drone when the camera is used to navigate and the aircraft can be flown beyond the line of sight, in other words you fly a drone by looking at a monitor not the aircraft. And yes a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone else.
    With that definition then you can't tell a drone from a model aircraft unless you can see the pilot and tell how he is controlling it. How do you tell what you need to register.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master

I'm also a long time AMA member and fly just about anything with fixed wings except "3D" which is more like hanging the plane on its prop the entire flight. On October 21 I read that the regulations defined "drones" as aircraft being capable of autonomous flight or being flown without direct observation of the pilot via a camera in the aircraft that sends video back to the pilot, known as "FPV"- First Person View. If they stick with that definition fixed wing aircraft will not be affected unless flown FPV.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Need CB or Ham license? BWAhahahahahahahahahahaha
    Clearly you have no idea how enthusiastically both modelers and ham operators protect the ham band. When the Citizen's Band was established people wouldn't talk to you if you didn't have call letters. When I started flying RC a CB license was required for 72 MHz operation and clubs enforced it. The CB craze of the late '70s threw that all out the door and the Gov dropped CB licensing. Ham R/C operations are still well protected.

Quote Originally Posted by leeggen View Post
    That is kind of my thought, are they going to force the rc airplanes and copters into a registration??? When do you call a toy plane a drone. This will be a real legal battle coming up over all this.
    CD
    Leeggen, have you ever been up close to model aircraft? I have 4 that will exceed 100 mph in level flight and 2 of those are Hobie Hawk gliders. I have a few more that exceed 15 pounds ready to fly and those are not considered especially large aircraft. Even my 6.2 ounce foamie is capable of causing severe lacerations if the prop is contacted. They're hardly toys!

I've stood in a hangar at Edwards with a real drone. I refuse to adopt the term for little multirotor craft.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Exactly right. Controls using a camera screen are the defining criteria. The hobbyist drone that is flown line of site is not covered. Considering the forest service fire fighting air craft that could not do their missions because of the drones being flown by disaster tourist taking video and pictures there is clearly an issue to be addressed.

If you shot down a drone over your backyard taking pictures of your kid though the bathroom window there is literally no way to know who owns it. This is no different than registering an auto or boat to establish registered ownership. Is it possibly that many won't be registered and that the whole thing will be a miserable failure to deal with the actual problems irresponsible drone owners are causing. Either way it ranks as one of the least important issues facing the country yet some want to treat it as a major crisis of government intrusion.

How about being concerned about the two new screwy statements being used by anti-gun people. Your more likely to be shot by a child than a terrorist. More kids than police die from firearm related deaths. First is accurate because bombs such as used in Boston the victims are not be shot. The second is true but at less than 30 a tiny percentage of childhood deaths. Poison deaths are much higher.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I refuse to adopt the term for little multirotor craft.

David
    This^^^
    IMHO, the news media again making something innocent, into something evil and scary.
    Fixed wing models or otherwise, flown in line of sight should not be an issue. Models that are flown remotely ie; video, telemetry, computer, smart device etc. Probably should be flown by a licensed operator. There is a symphony of gear and gadgets for transmitting and receiving the video and radio signals required to "pilot" some of these aircraft.
    They are flown out of sight, many times by several miles and at altitudes which the operators know they should not be flying, for common sense and safety reasons.
    I am a licensed HAM, I studied, and took the test. I am obligated to follow certain guidelines, and have responsibilities in the safe operation of my equipment, not only for myself but others as well. Why should this type of model aircraft equipment operation be any different?
    Here is why:
    1)Because the operators don't want to do anything extra to enjoy their hobby.
    2)They don't want someone intruding into their business telling them what to do.
    3)They don't want to deal with the responsibilities of dealing with a crash or property damage or personal injury if something malfunctions or they push the envelope and go a little out of range. It's probably cheaper to walk away from a crashed plane than it is to man up and pay an insurance claim in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, I think these models and the advancements in their technology is are great. I have had a few planes but they seriously cut into my shooting money lol.
    Is it realistic to have another alphabet agency try to enforce such things? No
    But say you are out in your driveway waxing your old muscle car and one of these birds falls from the sky and unfortunately smashes into the roof of your car, wouldn't you like to know where to send the bill? Worse yet, your grandkids are over for the weekend playing outside, and one of them gets hurt.......

az-jim
    "You believe these people exist to provide you with position, I believe your position exists to provide these people with FREEDOM"

FREEEEEEEEDOMM-William Wallace

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Lead them like a duck or a goose
    Do we have to use lead-free shot?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.