Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lubricant for presses?

Boolit Grand Master

Spray on motorcycle chain lube, the kind that sprays on thin, foams and penetrates into all the crevices, then thickens so it won't be flung off. I like it because it gets into small places then thickens. Have used Castrol and Lucas.
    Someone makes a wax based chain lube and that might be just the ticket. Thick lubes do attract grit and grunge. Anybody try the wax base chain lube ?
    The spec sheet says it doesn't attract dirt and doesn't fling off...might be something to try.

Gary

Boolit Master
    When I change the motor oil in my vehicles, after pouring the oil into the crankcase, I drain the last drops from the oil containers into a mason jar.

So I have a synthetic oil, dino oil and deisel oil mix that I use to lube everything. Guns, presses and anything else that needs it. I currently have about a quart. That should last a while.

I use grease where needed, usually also a high temp automotive bearing grease.

Boolit Bub
    "Zoom spout" ( the clear oil with the long spout inside the bottle) easy to lube hard to get at places. Home Depot

I see one lube that is absent from this thread. The old red neck stand by WD-40. Anyone tryed it?
    Last edited by kentuckyshooter; 10-16-2015 at 07:41 PM. Reason: My dislexia was showing.
    I cast therefor I shoot. Or is it the outher way around?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyshooter View Post
    I see one lube that is absent from this thread. The old red neck stand by WD-40. Anyone tryed it?
    It's not a lubricant. It's a water dispersing oil. Hence the WD in the name. It leaves a varnish over time and I would not use it on anything you care about.

I use Lucas Red and Tacky on a Dillon press at the lube points. I use a lithium grease on the rams of all my presses. Dillon says to use motor oil, I forget which grade.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckyshooter View Post
    WD 40 is an extremely good product in applications for which it is appropriate. Besides displacing water, it is also an excellent cleaner. It works well to clean the ram of a reloading press. If the press feels stiff, spray the ram with WD 40, operate it a few times, and it will immediately become free and easy. However, it should then be lubricated. Wipe it down and apply oil or light grease.

Super Moderator

I disassembled my press after work yesterday and took it over to a buddies house who has a parts washer. After a couple hours and some further cleaning it came out looking like brand new. I will be putting it back together this morning, and now I am considering talking my friend into letting me do the same with my lube-sizer....I think I will boil it first though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    WD 40 is an extremely good product in applications for which it is appropriate. Besides displacing water, it is also an excellent cleaner. It works well to clean the ram of a reloading press. If the press feels stiff, spray the ram with WD 40, operate it a few times, and it will immediately become free and easy. However, it should then be lubricated. Wipe it down and apply oil or light grease.
    Silicone displaces water and you don't have to get every bit off before it rusts something. A little oil on the ram will free it up just wipe off the excess.

There is no excuse big enough for WD-40.

Sorry, just had a DW-40 on cast iron flashback. I've been using an ancient can of Hoppe's Lubricating Oil on my Chucker.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-17-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

STOS http://reloaders.com/stos/ STOS stands for "Slicker than Owl S**t. " Used it since the early 70's.

http://reloaders.com/stos-2oz-jar/

Super Moderator

WD40 does have some uses. I use it on fishing reels to clean. I always wipe it off though. I don't use it on my reloading stuff.

WD 40 does not cause rust. It is an excellent product that does what it is supposed to do.

Boolit Master
    Not crazy about WD-40. Don't like the yellowish sticky film left over as it dries. Where many use WD-40, I use one of the LPS products. As far as the ram on the reloading press goes. I use the same Lubriplate that I use on the Garand.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Dexron VI ATF. I keep it on the cleaning bench in an old rem-oil bottle. I use it everywhere that I used to use Rem-oil, which is just something like 99% straight mineral oil.

Boolit Buddy
    LPS-2 great stuff, if it moves I use it.
    BD

Banned
    There's so little speed involved that this is way too easy to overthink.

But, just to throw in my two cents, straight 30 weight oil for the ram, wheel bearing grease for all the pins. Done.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by robroy View Post
    But presses got no loob grooves
    Waksupi is your go to guy.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    There's so little speed involved that this is way too easy to overthink.

But, just to throw in my two cents, straight 30 weight oil for the ram, wheel bearing grease for all the pins. Done.

Exactly. We're not talking a high speed blanking press here. I think any kind of lubricant would work in a reloading press application.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    RCBS recommended Lubriplate specifically by name when I inquired. They say that is what they say they use for every press in thir shops and labs.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I use Lubriplate SFL-0 for anything where I need something less runny than ATF. Great stuff, and about $12 gets you a 20-year supply.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/379...ease-14-oz-can

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm wondering what some of you guys are using to lube your presses...grease on the ram or?
    Eezox - cleans - lubes and is a rust prevenative
    Regards
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast