Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: 458 WM load for PP

Boolit Buddy

458 WM load for PP

So I've got this custom 458 that I want to shoot before I decide if I'm going to keep it and buy dies ect... I'm being cheap about this so I've figured out how to size and neck up 338 WM cases I picked up at the range to 458 using dies on hand and a couple of lathe made expanders. In the vein of cheapness I want to use PP bullets, maybe even on deer this year if I get it done soon enough and results are good. I have a bunch of 385 gr RNFP bullets from a Lyman die that was thinking about sizing down to 452, patch, then size to 458. I'd like to run them in the 2000-2200 fps range. Can I use load data for a similar weight jacketed bullet or is it some thing in between jacketed and lead data? I have a pretty good assortment of powders to choose from.

Boolit Master
    gzig5,

Your 458WM should not be a problem to PP. I haven't developed any PP loads for mine yet, as I'm still working on PP four(4) other calibers. 45ACP CB are an option as they typically run 0.451"D to 0.452"D. Try to maintain 100% charge density or use flllers to achieve it.

Don't sell yours. They're fun to shoot and hunt with. I've hunted deer and bear with mine downloaded to 45/70 specs. They work very well.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Buddy
    CJR,
    Thanks for the reminder on the pistol bullets. They would be great for practice or even hunting.
    My problem is that I don't think I can afford to keep this rifle. It is a custom Mauser built by Jack Lott of 458 Lott fame and worth more than I can probably afford. I'd still like to try it though. Are you using jacketed data?

In Remembrance

The core of the PP boolet should be in the .450 - 451" range to take 2 wraps of material without needing to be resized again. I use Johnsons paste wax on the outside of the wrapped boolet to both keep the wrap on and to lube the boolet when loaded for firing. The old rule of thumb about load data is to use jacketed load data for a similar weight bullet/boolet, and start at the lowest charge and work up from there. Magnum primers are usually not needed. Dacron filler is often used to hold the charge down in the case on the primer for a better ignition and more uniform velocities. Finding a buyer for a `collector type` rifle is the trick, use and enjoy it now.Robert

Boolit Master
    gzig5,

I use jacketed data for all my PP loads.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Master
    I use a 458 WM for all of my hunting needs. OK, for anything bigger than varmints anyway. Adjust bullet weight and powder charge for the velocity required to get the job done. Faster powders seem to work better than slower powders with PP the 458. Look up how to load using a dacron filler. The 458 typically has a long and large throat. Patch to fit the throat for best accuracy.

Do a search on paper patching the 458, there have been several very detailed discussions, with exceptional results noted. I wouldn't trade my CZ 550 American Safari for any other rifle in the safe. That wasn't the case when I first started out with it.

Good luck!

Edited to add: I usually run a patched 405 grn RNFP at 1,800 fps with 5744 powder. These boolits are kind of soft at 20:1 lead tin alloy, 10 - 11 bhn. They will also give a complete pass through from any angle on the local Roosevelt Elk Bulls. You can shoot this load all day into about 2" at 100 yards. My various loads run from about 1,300 to 2,600 fps. Boolit weights range from 350 grn to 485 grn. The 458 WM also loads up like a 410 shotgun, if you want to try that. You can also figure out a usable load with any available powder (within reason), so powder shortages and scares aren't really a big deal. The more you fiddle with this cartridge, the more I think you'll like it.
    Last edited by offshore44; 10-12-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    If you can find them, Speer makes a swaged SWC pistol bullet in .451"-452" for the 45 Colt. I've had good results PP'ing it for .458 bores (45/70, 458 American, & 458 Win Mag). Easy peesy.

gzig5,
    As stated above use jacketed data for a similar weight bullet. I paper patch with Morilla Brand tracing paper. I wet patch and let dry over night. I have found that tracing paper is a little tougher and mics about .002" . I have loaded the .458 Win. with everything from round balls and pistol bullets to shot and full house jacketed Hornady soft points. Which consistently grouped at .75'' for three shots (three was all I could hold that load off the bench). The .458 can be a very fun gun.

As far as alloy I would use as soft as possible and patch to .460 to .462 assuming that they will slide into the chamber relatively easily. If you patch to chamber size (or to fit the throat) you will get your best accuracy as the bullet will enter the barrel as straight as possible.
    Good Luck
    Brodie