RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Drying" Alox

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    I'm thinking that for the next batch of tumble lube, I'm going to put them in up in a skillet on a hot plate to around 200F, toss them in the swirling container with a dollop of the alox+JPW paste that I use, and then dump them on the glass surface that I use for drying.
    I always preheat the boolits before tumble lubing them, I use a heat gun.
    I have never used LLA straight, I have only used 45-45-10 (2 coats, before and after sizing) ...until recently, when I started using applying 45-45-10 before sizing, then BLL after sizing.

With my method, the boolits are dry to the touch when the boolits cool to room temp (10 minutes or so), But, I still let them sit for at least an hour, so they are thoroughly dry and ready for the handling that's involved for reloading.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Just my opinion but, 45-45-10 is a much better tumble lube than strait LLA, it dries in just a few minutes. Use a very light coat, a little bit goes a looooooong way. Gp
    I just use alox+JPW. With the 45-45-10, you are heating the JPW to remove much of the solvents and then adding solvents back to it. I figure just leave the original solvents in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodogsandman View Post
    I'd like to throw my two cents in and say that Ben's Liquid Lube is a lot faster than PC. Size the bullets normally and swish them around in a plastic tub with a few drops of BLL, dump them onto a frame with 1/4" hardware cloth and done. Go back a few hours later and they're dry. I get much better accuracy with rifle rounds too using BLL than with PC. For rifle rounds, I do 3 coats of BLL. I've shot BLL up to 2500 FPS with under 2", 10 shot, 100 yard groups. Who does that with PC?

Note that if your bullets come out sticky with BLL, you used way too much.

Fastest method
    No mess
    Non sticky
    No smoke
    Very accurate
    I got 2" groups at 100 yards with a sporterized MAS model 36 that is no longer than a 10-22 carbine with PC boolits. I'm sure I could do much better with a good rifle with a good bore, decent sights and a trigger that is under 6 pounds.

Motor

Boolit Master
    I use the 45/45/10 method of heating the JPW and mixing everything up. I also drop a small chunk of Mothers carnuba wax into the mix. This stuff dries fast and not tacky at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor View Post
    I got 2" groups at 100 yards with a sporterized MAS model 36 that is no longer than a 10-22 carbine with PC boolits. I'm sure I could do much better with a good rifle with a good bore, decent sights and a trigger that is under 6 pounds.

Motor
    I'm sure you would! I'm also sure that you'd do better using BLL.

Boolit Master

It entertains me that in the coating and alternatives section of the forum you get guys talking about lube and nobody that I've seen wants to talk down on them.

And yet almost all the threads I've seen talking PC, epoxy, or Hi-Tek, outside this section have people all but gang up and badger the person asking.

But it's getting to be a bit much to have people invade the coatings section and do nothing more than harass people.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    But it's getting to be a bit much to have people invade the coatings section and do nothing more than harass people.
    I suspect it is not so much an issue of them "invading" the section, but rather they just see something in the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" link and end up commenting without regard to what section they are in.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12