Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee 456-200 Kaido Ojamaa 220gr Universal bullet

Boolit Master
    Seems i I was a bit hasty and forgot to post the link to my pic:

Boolit Mold
    Fly, yes they work with Pietta's: But you have to open up your loading port (see this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkkCfJASDs/,) if you intend on loading them "on gun" instead of in a "off-gun" cylinder loader, but bizarrely enough if you intend to load a Pietta 1858 (my gun-) the 240's actually work better for you (ie, load easier) in the cylinder. Highly recommend his 220 and 240 bullets.

Boolit Master
    Tried to get a mould ordered but he never followed thru and I hear he's just like this & on & on. Then I hear you can get moulds from Accurate but can anyone tell me how to actually order up one of the 220 gr. Flat nose moulds? Am not getting very far.

Boolit Master
    I tried to order a 240 grn mold from him long ago but months went by with none to sell as Lee was focusing on their own products and won't make a run of his until there is enough demand.

So I went on to Accurate Molds and was able to create my own designs. I'm much more pleased with my own as I widened the meplat, reduced the lube grooves slightly as I don't see the need for gobs of lube in a short barrel, and reduced the overall length so that it didn't take up too much powder capacity, and I thought my Pietta NMA would have a slower twist (it doesn't).

The way I'm reading your question is that you want Kaido's 220 grn bullet and want it from Accurate Molds. That won't happen unless you can give him the dimensions.

He has several bullet designs to choose from meant for cap n ball or you can create your own as I did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    I tried to order a 240 grn mold from him long ago but months went by with none to sell as Lee was focusing on their own products and won't make a run of his until there is enough demand.

So I went on to Accurate Molds and was able to create my own designs. I'm much more pleased with my own as I widened the meplat, reduced the lube grooves slightly as I don't see the need for gobs of lube in a short barrel, and reduced the overall length so that it didn't take up too much powder capacity, and I thought my Pietta NMA would have a slower twist (it doesn't).

The way I'm reading your question is that you want Kaido's 220 grn bullet and want it from Accurate Molds. That won't happen unless you can give him the dimensions.

He has several bullet designs to choose from meant for cap n ball or you can create your own as I did.
    Thanks for the reply rodwha!
    I wouldn't know the first thing about which design to use or how to design one in the first place myself. I have a Ruger OA that would likely be the main candidate. I also have a Rogers & Spencer by Euroarms that shoots round balls great so will probably just stick to those in the R & S.

I was thinking that if your design shoots good, I might try it but how to tell accurate that I'd like your design, providing you're good with that.

Boolit Master
    Do you happen to know the diameter of the chambers on your R&S? The ROA has ~0.453" chambers and calls for a bullet of about 0.456" in diameter. I wouldn't go smaller than 0.455".

Do you happen to know the twist rate of your R&S? If it's the slower twist I'd think that either my 170 or 195 grn bullets ought to do fairly well as they are no longer than a ball.

This is my 170 grn bullet:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-170C-D.png

This is my 195 grn bullet:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_deta...=45-195C-D.png

Near the top is "Catalog." Click on that and start on page 10 for .45 cal bullets. They'll state they are designed for cap and ball guns, but it's possible that ones meant for a gas checks and are slightly smaller than your chamber would work well enough.

Please, post some contact info for Ojamma? I have an email address but, would like to talk to him?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Please, post some contact info for Ojamma? I have an email address but, would like to talk to him?
    Steve
    Here's his company name. Let me see if I can round up the email address or maybe even phone #. I'll edit this post if I can find anything.

OK, here's an email. He had a slow response so keep trying. Took me a couple of emails but I got his addy and bought the lightest of the .45 moulds. It's alot like a Lee cap & ball revolver mould in that the lower 2 lands are smaller but it also has a big flat nose. Haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet or even cast any as my hand is all bandaged up from Carpal Surgery. Soon as I get these stitches out, I'll wash out the mould and cast some up.

kaido93@hotmail.com

VKV Products & Services
    254 Betsy Ross Drive
    Orangeburg, N.Y.10962
    U.S.A.
    Last edited by Newtire; 09-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Yes, I picked up his email from the video and many thanks for your help.
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    Tried to get a mould ordered but he never followed thru and I hear he's just like this & on & on. Then I hear you can get moulds from Accurate but can anyone tell me how to actually order up one of the 220 gr. Flat nose moulds? Am not getting very far.

Kaido is a straight shooter, no bs type of guy and a true sportsman, I have had the pleasure of hunting with him on several occassions. He has plenty of his molds available right now. You can contact him at kaido93@hotmail.com

Boolit Mold
    I received my Lee 456-220-IR mold early this week and immediately fired up the melting pot to try it out. After prepping the mold and heating the pot, I cast about 100 bullets from "pure" lead. They look great and all weighed between 221 and 223 grains with most falling near 222gr. I didn't bother to check diameter as I was "sure" they would fit the chambers of my Pietta 1858 New Army. NOT SO. I had very difficulty time getting them to start vertically when seating them into the cylinder when using the "bench loader" (off the gun). Forget about loading them on the gun as they are too tall to rotate into position under the ram.
    It appears the base of the bullet is too large for the chamber mouth. My .454 RB need a lot of pressure when seating on the gun but, the bench loader helps make that a bit easier. The .456 conicals were very difficult to seat and several were badly deformed in the process. I managed to get 6 loaded but, a couple were fairly well mangled in the cylinder but, were fully seated.
    With the 8.5" X 11" target at 25 yds, I had 5 hits in a wide pattern (?). Although the mold performed great and the bullets looked great, I'm afraid they just won't work in my Pietta 1858. They might work if resized to a smaller diameter (maybe .454 or .453) OR if the cylinder mouth(s) were relieved to a slightly larger diameter to allow the bullet to get a good start.
    Thankfully, Lee molds are very affordable so, I've ordered the .450-200-IR which should work very well. Time will tell.

Watch your front sight,
    Rowdyjoe

Boolit Mold
    Hi all. Long time since I was last here. How do I go about ordering some samples of Kiados conicals

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf172 View Post
    Hi all. Long time since I was last here. How do I go about ordering some samples of Kiados conicals
    Go to etsy.com and search for kaido. I just took delivery of 100 of the 220 grain design, lubed.

Sizing .45 castings to fit Piettas is just too easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12