Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! My email is being spammed to death:-(

Boolit Master

Sending e-mail to others with your e-mail address exposed is another way to get more than you want. A friend started including me in his circle of friends where everyone could see everyone else's e-mail address. Before long someone had an e-mail virus that stole all of their e-mail recipients and I was bombarded with the same sorts of pharmaceutical, dating and other unwanted e-mails. My e-mail provider went belly up and I quit sending e-mail to the friend from my new address. Problem solved.

If you send an e-mail to a group, put them all in BCC instead of "To" or "CC" so no one can see the other recipients. It's not a 100% solution but it's a good start.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    the wife works for century link. the spammers have found a way around the company's filters. right now I am getting 400-500 every three days.

she says don't open and try to unsubscribe. you will only get more if you are lucky. if not lucky opening it could download a virus.
    Century link is my provider and the spam filter is not working. I deleted about a hundred today, it sucks!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

I opened a gmail account and have been unsubscribing to beat the band.
    Charter Member #148

Moderator Emeritus

I use a throwaway yahoo email for junk use. Rarely check it! Don't care what is in it! My gmail address is only given to people I buy from and friends.

Boolit Grand Master

Something must be working, 43 this morning, much better I guess
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Maybe they're getting the feeling you don't want to hear from them.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Boolit Grand Master

Think I've got it about licked, 19 this morning.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

They attack with force last night while I slept, 75 this morning. I only recognized one spammer from before, whole bunch of "me", Amy, Barbara and other carp, they all got tagged spam and dumped. It's really getting to be a pain.
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Wonder why the spam filter doesn't work? I have unsubscrided to a 100 or so in the last month, but what a pain.
    If you click the "unsubscribe" link you simply confirm that this email arrived at a valid email account. Pretty much guarantees lots more spam to follow. Never ever use unsubscribe link unless you know it is from a legitimate business. Say you no longer want the specials emailed from Freedom Munitions and it has an unsubscribe link that one would probably be ok, you signed up at the store, you know it is a legit business. From spam email? Never ever click any link in those emails!

Look for an option to "only allow email from people in my address book" or "whitelist option" then make darn sure you add anyone you actually want to email with to your address book or the whitelist. That includes sites you do business with or places like this forum. When signing up at a new place such as a an ammo store or forum where they send you an email to confirm your account you will have to check your spam folder to get that one and add the address.

Also a good idea to have a throw away email such as other member described. Gmail or Hotmail account that is only for "business" separate from the email address you give friends and family.

Oh and never put your email address on a web page, spammers use programs to auto scan web pages searching for email addresses. Phone numbers too. See that from time to time in forum posts, or when someone is selling something online. Always makes me cringe.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Opened a gmail account and unsubscribed a bunch using that address, seemed to work but a whole new crew of spammers are back. I called centurylink tech support, they had me email them at abuse.net, just waiting to see if I can get this stopped once and for all. They never admitted to a problem on their end and never answered as to why the spam filter provided with service did not work, it used to. It's a waiting game now.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone that has Centurylink can email abuse@centurylink.net, they will send you instructions on how to install another"new and improved" spam filter they provide. It has saved me a lot of grief, 7 unwanted emails yesterday and 6 in this mornings mail. I can live with that! Thanks to everyone that replied.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Opened a gmail account and unsubscribed a bunch using that address, seemed to work but a whole new crew of spammers are back. I called centurylink tech support, they had me email them at abuse.net, just waiting to see if I can get this stopped once and for all. They never admitted to a problem on their end and never answered as to why the spam filter provided with service did not work, it used to. It's a waiting game now.
    Don't unsubscribe!
    Don't unsubscribe!
    It only makes your spam problem worse, and might lead to nightmare virus infections or even things like identity theft.
    Once again...
    Don't unsubscribe!

Never click on ANY link in an email - especially an email from Spammers.
    That includes "click here to unsubscribe" links!
    Just say DON'T.

Hit the "block" button and dump 'em.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

Guess im lucky. I rarely if ever get spam in my inbox. It all goes to the spam box. I check now and again and delete most without opening
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

The gmail account was opened just to receive spam, so unsubscribing using the gmail account was intentional. It looks like I don't have to worry about it anymore, the new spam filter is working and anything I have previously tagged as spam is being sent directly to spam, works for me.
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12