Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: HORNADY 150 GRAIN FMJBT 30 CALIBER For 300 BLK

HORNADY 150 GRAIN FMJBT 30 CALIBER For 300 BLK

Does anyone foresee any issues using HORNADY 150 GRAIN FMJBT 30 CALIBER for 300 BLK supers in a 1:8 16" gas pistol setup? If so, please chime in.

Thanks =D
    - detroitcharlie

~ Freedom isn't free, it's fought for. ~

Boolit Master

I've shot many of those using 4227
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    I've shot many of those using 4227
    That's exactly what I was planning on using... IMR
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Master
    Im using whatever 30 cal round that feed (any round that is low cost ) for plinker ammo

147g surplus / 150g fmj /150g sp Hornady / win/ rem / fed ( it all feeds well )

as well as cast

paper targets don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Im using whatever 30 cal round that feed (any round that is low cost ) for plinker ammo

147g surplus / 150g fmj /150g sp Hornady / win/ rem / fed ( it all feeds well )

as well as cast

paper targets don't care
    That's what I like to hear =D
    - detroitcharlie

Any of you shoot that LEE 230 grn cast at subs without GC, just tumble lubed?
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Bub
    ive used those exact bullets with 1680 and 680. 19.0 gr of either, supersonic, good accuracy at 100yds 1750 fps. i had 5 lbs of win 680 left over from my original ak reloads from the 90s. it is slightly faster than aa 1680, ive used both powders in this load to compare. the 1680 powder needs @.5 or more to equal the 680.

Banned

the 1-8 twist semi-auto rifles seem to have some issues shooting the LEE well.
    I can shoot them forever and a day in my 1-7 twist bolt guns at velocity's well down in the slooow/quiet range.
    but the need for gas volume, low velocity, and the slow twist rate makes things a bit touchy as far as finding the right balance.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the 1-8 twist semi-auto rifles seem to have some issues shooting the LEE well.
    I can shoot them forever and a day in my 1-7 twist bolt guns at velocity's well down in the slooow/quiet range.
    but the need for gas volume, low velocity, and the slow twist rate makes things a bit touchy as far as finding the right balance.
    I was gonna venture a try with my 1:8 16" gas pistol barrel but don't wanna GC it for sub loads. I'd be happy if I got decent groupings at 100yards, I've just heard they tumble pretty bad- any experience with that?
    - detroitcharlie

Yes to your original question, and very accurate using both H110 and WC 820 (milsurp of 110).

Boolit Grand Master

I've used 296 and LilGun behind a 150gr FMJBT pull downs and they worked just fine. The 300 BLK is sensitive to OAL and bullet shape, but getting the OAL set right tends to fix it. Venture over to the 300BLK forum and you'll get plenty of info.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I've used 296 and LilGun behind a 150gr FMJBT pull downs and they worked just fine. The 300 BLK is sensitive to OAL and bullet shape, but getting the OAL set right tends to fix it. Venture over to the 300BLK forum and you'll get plenty of info.
    Good advice here. I think the "formula" is to seat the bullet to a depth that puts the ogive diameter of 0.250" at the magazine rib location. The idea is that you're recreating the proper alignment and roughly replicate the ogive diameter presented to the rib by 223 Remington ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by wordsmith View Post
    Good advice here. I think the "formula" is to seat the bullet to a depth that puts the ogive diameter of 0.250" at the magazine rib location. The idea is that you're recreating the proper alignment and roughly replicate the ogive diameter presented to the rib by 223 Remington ammo.
    Yep I've got it setup that way using my PMAG 30, but only load 10 at a time
    - detroitcharlie

Boolit Buddy

I hunt (deer) with 150gr sp factory loads. You won't have a problem.

I've shot thousands through my blk sbr as well as my 16" carbine. I've used lilgun, 4227, and h110 with success. It makes a good plinker round that hits the steel plates pretty hard.