MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Tokarev, it's like an improved 1911

I can’t seem to find RCBS dies for the Tokorev 7.62x25
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

I have my Fathers Tokarev a 1943 that he Got it during the War and had it nickeled. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2304E636-0D34-4235-B08B-B720D0095810.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	273307
    Last edited by Deakota57; 12-16-2020 at 12:07 AM.
    It takes more than just reading, to prepare a young soldier for battle.
    Your experience means the world to the young.

Boolit Master
    Have been shooting the 7.62x25 for 20 years in a couple of CZ52s. Bought one of the Zavasta TOKs a few years ago and it is a very nicely made gun.

Agree with most of what the OP posted but one reason I would rarely if ever carry it rather than my daily 1911 is the sights...they simply SUCK and would be expensive to improve.. That and the grip angle doesn't lend itself to very good point shooting for me.

My daily carry gun is a Commander in .38 Super with the 90 grain Underwood Xtreme Defender at 1560 fps...1640 from a 5"...not much different than the TOK ammo...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have a CZ52, but would not choose that cartridge for self defense. Calling
    it "potent" seems slightly ridiculous. Not that I want to get shot with one, but
    I don't want to get shot with a .22 Short, either. A fast moving tiny bullet
    isn't all that effective, esp FMJ. Soldiers using .30 Carbines regularly
    complained that they didn't stop well, the .30 carbine is a very similar bullet
    and going even faster.

Nobody ever complained that the 1911 with FMJ didn't stop well. Add in a
    230 Gold Dot and you have the best of both worlds. Very likely to open to
    80 caliber, but even if it doesn't open at all --- still .45 cal and 230 grains,
    like military ball.
    Heavy wool winter coat and/or ****ty body armor will stop a .45 ACP even 230 gr fmj. I don't think I would prefer 7.62 x 25 but a hot 9 x 23 or even only at .38 super velocities would be better. It is also better at shooting thru car doors. Uses a slimmer magazine and frame. One of my CZ-52's is a 9 x 23. I would more likely carry my Star BKS, slimmer shorter lighter still 8 shots, it is like a small 1911 in 9 x 19 but no grip safety. One of the short Tok's might be nice in 9 x 23.

Tim

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    just last night I loaded 90gr Hornady hollowpoints over 6.6gr of 800 for a 1300fps load for my CCW Tok...

Here is some load development I did for 7.62 x 25 in CZ - 52's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CZ 52.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	273317

Ok in my guns you need to use loading manuals for your work not copy mine. I bet you could do better. You can see I only tried one powder.

Tim

Boolit Buddy

Had a Tok TT33 many years ago. Carried it. I now carry a 1911. Upside o the Tok is as mentioned size and weight. In my opinion advantages stop there. Ammo is less available, (I had to find .30 Mauser, before the wall came down, and Tok ammo was avail.) No Saftie ment condition 3. Power wise, I'll take the .45 any day, I don't care what numbers on a piece of paper say. The Tok is fun , but not for me to carry.

The Tok is a very good design. It's main fault IMHO is quality of manufacture, which can vary from very good to horrible, depending what country made them.

The Czech and Polish versions are reputedly the best from what I have read.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree with everything you have to say other than the low recoil. With that kind of velocity there is significant muzzle flip. It's certainly not a replacement for a 1911, but it's a cool historic gun and cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    I don't carry, not much need for it in Fargo North Dakota.

Not to mention that IMO a pistol is for helping you get to your shotgun!
    If you hit your intended target, you don't need a shotgun. The above mindset encourages spray and hope actions which are self defeating.

I, too, have more than one 7.62x25 pistols and hold them in high regard but will keep my 1911 (Colt or Kimber) close to hand and on my hip.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Good for you, GhostHawk. I, on the other hand, live across the river from you and am too old to tolerate a junkie mugging. A 1911 is included in my normal attire. My former County Sheriff insisted my wife and I get MN CCWs since before we moved we had ND class 1 CCWs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    If you hit your intended target, you don't need a shotgun. The above mindset encourages spray and hope actions which are self defeating.

I, too, have more than one 7.62x25 pistols and hold them in high regard but will keep my 1911 (Colt or Kimber) close to hand and on my hip.
    Not hardly. I worked for many years in military and law enforcement. Been to more than a few shootings. My thinking was my service pistol was intended to buy me time and get back to my car where I would have an AR or a 870. Handguns are not the first choice when a gun fight is imminent.

Boolit Buddy

Not the first choice, but sometimes, the ONLY choice.

Boolit Grand Master
    No amount of wool coat that anyone could possibly reasonably wear can prevent 45 ACP FMJ from thoroughly perforating you in a more than sufficiently fatal fashion.

Just setting that record straight. Same for hollowpoints in the caliber.

Boolit Master

Knew an ex Selous Scout living in South Africa who carried a Tok constantly. He liked its accuracy, reliability and ability to punch through soft armor.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Good for you, GhostHawk. I, on the other hand, live across the river from you and am too old to tolerate a junkie mugging. A 1911 is included in my normal attire. My former County Sheriff insisted my wife and I get MN CCWs since before we moved we had ND class 1 CCWs.
    My wife and I don't go out at night, heck for most of the last year we have been right here at home.

But if things keep sliding downhill as they appear to be doing I might end up carrying yet.

I will admit parts of Moorhead are scarier than most of Fargo.
    And both of my vehicles have a 10 shot .22lr semi auto with 2 full mags and 100 rounds in a zippered bag in the door pocket.
    No one even notices they are there. I can have it out, loaded and ready in 5-6 seconds.

Norske you should stop by for coffee someday! NE corner of 13th Ave S and 10th St.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

The Korean War era "Wool Coat" myth is just about as busted as myths come. Most likely it was spread by people trying to push M1 carbines into more rifle-like roles that it wasn't designed for. As far as I'm aware, the M1's an upgrade to an issued handgun, and I doubt that every army truck driver was as skilled as Elmer Keith back in the day.

Then again, even the most cheap-tastic expired kevlar soft body armor's going to make a handgun round slightly less fatal.

I wouldn't worry about it until Kevlar lined winter coats become the norm.

Boolit Master
    I am a big 1911 guy....
    But I do like my tokarevs too.
    I wish we could do something about the sights

I like the Tokarev cartridge. Having a 1911 in 7.62x25 would be neat. In my opinion, the TT33 is a typical Russian gun- ugly, wierd feeling, tough and reliable. Sort of like the Nagant revolver, Mosin Nagant, SKS, AK47 rifles, etc. I have owned CZ52s and a Chinese Tokarev with 9mm and 7.62 barrels- but they went down the road when the surplus ammo dried up.
    I'm still a 1911 guy.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

When the CZ Custom Shop does a Tok (ok, a Zastava M57 specifically):

My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    No amount of wool coat that anyone could possibly reasonably wear can prevent 45 ACP FMJ from thoroughly perforating you in a more than sufficiently fatal fashion.

Just setting that record straight. Same for hollowpoints in the caliber.
    Agreed, When I said "Heavy wool winter coat and/or low grade body armor will stop a .45 ACP even 230 gr fmj." I did not mean a heavy wool coat by itself but body armor with or without the coat. Better body armor will stop even 7.62 x 25 but it is less available. I don't know if you have noticed some protestors are wearing body armor.

This winter who will know what protesters are wearing under their winter coats.

Tim
    Last edited by dtknowles; 12-17-2020 at 04:51 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast