Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Tokarev, it's like an improved 1911

Carrying a Tokarev, it's like an improved 1911

As you may have guessed, I carry a Tokarev, specifically a Zastava M57A. My carry load is the PPU 86 grain JHP.

I personally feel the Tok is an exceptional carry gun, like a thinner, better, 1911.

I have a few tokarevs but I carry the M57A because of it's great safety, which is drop safe and allows cocked and locked carry (locks the firing pin and trips the disconnector). The 9 round mag and captive recoil spring doesn't hurt either.

Mine is mostly stock. Besides general tuning, the magazine safety is removed, I have a tuned hammer group, and I am using the slightly shorter firing pin out of a 9mm Zastava.

You're probably wanting me to justify my "improved 1911" views... and I will. FIrst off, know that I am not a 1911 hater. To the contrary, I enjoy working on them and carried one for years. It is my love for the 1911 that made me love the Tok.

First lets clear up some misconceptions:

• The Tok and the 1911 share the exact same John Browning short recoil system.
    • It is not a "simplified 1911" as is commonly said. This misconception is due to the vestigal locking lugs on the bottom of the barrel, left there to cut one machining step and to add strength. (they are removed on the compact models)
    • Though the Tok looks like a 1903 pocket hammerless or the Fn Model 1903, the similarities are purely cosmetic.
    • The half cock (more of a 1/4 cock) safety is solid and dependable, when in good condition. The poor reputation is from 60 year old surplus examples that are well out of spec. Smiths in the com bloc countries have a test fixture for this.
    • 7.62x25 does not overpenetrate... Assuming you aren't using FMJ. As a matter of fact JHPs hit the FBI spec sweet spot of 12" to 16" of penetration, while carrying a potent 560 foot pounds of sweet justice. Of course if you shoot FMJ, especially milsurp, you will experience deep penetration, same as any other FMJ.
    • 7.62x25 is not naturally inaccurate. This myth is furthered by people who are feeding 60 year old ammo through old corroded sewer pipe bores. Decent ammo or handloads running through a decent barrel deliver excellent accuracy enhanced by a very flat trajectory.

So, why did I switch to the Tok as a carry gun over my beloved 1911?

• Much more compact. Even the full sized Tokarev is quite a bit thinner and shorter than the 1911. I pocket carry the longer handled M57A variant in carharts.
    • Accuracy. I've spent a lot of time and money tuning up a 1911 to punch tight groups, but a $200 Tok will outshoot many 1911s, and easily match some very high dollar examples (looking at you Kimber).
    • Price. I sold one nice 1911 and bought 4 Tokarevs and a bunch of spares.
    • Low recoil. Nuff said.
    • Very flat trajectory.
    • Reliability. The bottle necked round and modular feed lips make for dead reliable feeding regardless of nose shape, without throating or polishing.
    • Easy caliber conversions. I can switch between 7.62x25, 38 super, 9x23 winchester, 9mm in seconds. For all but 9mm it is a barrel & spring swap. The 9mm uses a different mag.
    • Removable hammer group! As quick as a field strip I can swap out the unitized hammer, sear, disconnector assembly. I have a few spare hammer groups, target trigger, half cock removed, a carry group. I paid about $25 each for them.
    • Great holster selection. Ok, this is not really a difference, as Toks fit in most 1911 holsters (I haven't tried kydex).
    • Power. Most 7.62 loads beat .45 by 150 foot pounds. A hot 9x23 is almost 50% more powerful than .45 acp.
    • Penetration. If you want penetration, the heavy jacketed and/or steel cored stuff does what it was designed to... Provides a nice hole through 30" of meat, or 12" after defeating IIa armor.

In conclusion:

The 1911 in .45 is a fantastic gun with great potential, and if you pay for a great example, you will get great performance. But the Tokarev does a great job for a lot less money, and performs better in stock configuration.

Boolit Master

If it works for you then by all means carry it, good read but still not sold

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Which explains why the russian military are still using it
    - oh wait - they quit, but then we quit carrying the 1911
    9x19 seems to be ruling the day w/ 40 S&W coming up on
    the outside.

Bottom line carry what makes you happy. I trade off guns
    when I open carry, I just for fun put on my CZ-52 or Nagant 1895.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master

I agree with everything. I too carry the TOK ever since folks seem to feel wearing body armor and shooting movie-goers is the latest "cool thing". I like the M57A for all the reasons the OP mentioned. Great choice!

Boolit Master

I have been eyeing the TOK's myself lately as another caliber to try out. Romanian models available from surplus suppliers but would rather have a Polish. Supposedly they are better finished. Ymmv. Hate that importers have added the safety...still extremly tempted...

nice write up.
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-27-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

I don't carry, not much need for it in Fargo North Dakota.

But I do have a 7.62x25 in a Cz-52 next to my chair.
    Now I'll be honest, I do prefer my SA 1911 at the range. Mostly because it is easier to find brass.
    If I am paying attention, both are capable of about the same accuracy.

As to body amour, shoot em in the eye. Funny most people don't seem to have much their.
    At inside my house ranges, should be no sweat.

Not to mention that IMO a pistol is for helping you get to your shotgun!

Outdoors, well if they are running you better let them run.

Overall I like the cartridge, it is fussy to make brass, and fussy to reload, but it is doable. Once I got enough extra cash ahead I just bought 250 rounds of jacketed round nose for practice.
    Low recoil makes it quick to get a follow up shot, but it does have a wicked bark.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    ...would rather have a Polish. Supposedly they are better finished...
    I also think the polish have a better finish, I like the early style ball milled slide serrations they have too. They are usually a bit more worn, but springs and such can be replaced.

Oddly, the smoothest TT I have is a Norinco that was originally 9mm (model 213), it's action is as smooth as glass.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinakaq View Post
    Romanian models available from surplus suppliers but would rather have a Polish.
    OK... Color me "curious", but I had to look it up... Are Romanian models better than Polish models?

Too close to call, but I'm willing to do further research on the matter...

I don't have any Tokarev firearms and I don't think I ever will, but as they say, "never say never"...
    Last edited by Pressman; 12-15-2020 at 11:17 PM.

Banned
    Good write up by the OP.

It's easy to get caught up in style over function and lose sight over what a tool is really for.

The OP makes several good points including the fact that a TT-33 is relatively thin, chambered for a potent cartridge and it's very reliable. The modular hammer/sear assembly that can be easily removed and cleaned (or even replaced) in the field is seen in other pistols like the SIG P210 and the French M.A.S. 1950 pistol. The all steel construction is both strong and inexpensive to machine due to its simple layout.
    The greatest strength of the TT-33 and its variants may be its low cost. A $100 hammer doesn't drive nails any better than a $20 hammer and if you need a hammer (or a gun), it is far more important that it is available and it works as opposed to how good it looks. It is that function over all else that makes guns like the Glock and the Tokarev attractive self defense tools. The quality of the TT-33 is rooted in its functioning and low price.

Speaking of quality; Stalin was a despicable human but he had a very pragmatic approach. The phrase: "Quantity has a Quality all its own" has often been attributed to Stalin although it is unlikely he authored that phrase. Regardless of the original author of that concept, it has real merit. Soviet weapons were never designed to be pretty or refined; they were designed to be rapidly produced at low cost and to function in any environment. The TT-33 is a classic example of that philosophy. While the TT-33 and its Yugoslavian cousin the M57A wouldn't be my choice there can be no doubt that the Tokarev is an inexpensive, rock solid and reliable tool.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    OK... Color me "curious", but I had to look it up... Are Romanian models better than Polish models?...
    All those ladies seem pretty scrawny.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have played around with the 7.62 x 25 cartridge for about 25 years now, having both a ChiCom Type 54 Tokarev and a CZ-52 to run them through. The caliber can have excellent accuracy with good bullets, and shoots VERY flat--it is a first-rate varmint whacker, and I have taken rats and jacks in the hundreds with it. The Tok is a flat, readily concealable pistol all right--but that isn't a venue I have used it for. It has been a fun toy for field work, and that is enough for me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

I still come across Soviet pistols in my world travels.

1949 TT33 and 1982 Makarov, Iraq 08'

But I still get issued M1911A1s. This picture is from Afghanistan in Dec 14'. Bottom center is the one I had signed out and is in Condition 1 just out of the holster for the photo.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

My first exposure to a Tokarev was 1968 and it was a ragged Russian TT33 brought home from Vietnam. It wasn't much to look at but it had ~virtue~ in it's design.

My only Tokarev is the Polish TT33 which I bought when they were first imported, in "new" condition, and yes with the added safety. Toks are very interesting pistols. My two objections are the grip angle is too close to 90 degrees and the grip length is too short for my hands. The span from pinky to thumb is 9" and the width of my hand across the knuckles is 4". Its just not real comfortable for me like the Colt Gov't which I normally carried. I agree it is one hellacious handgun.

The Russians were introduced to the FN 1903 due to a Moscow police contract for them. The Russians must've liked the ergonomics of the FN, at least Mr.Tokarev did, to use it as a guide when re-designing it into the Tok TT models. The FN is caliber 9x20mm Browning Long. This one below is a Swedish m/1907 army issue. They are blow-back so they don't have the ~whomp~ the 7x62x25 has.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    If it works for you then by all means carry it, good read but still not sold CD
    I have to agree with the above post. I'm not sold either. Too many years with a 1911 to set it on the shelf. Its my carry gun 95% of the time.

Banned
    With respect to the young ladies..... Polish only and please send three bottles of ******.

Boolit Master
    I like the tokarev, friend says I like weird stuff. Only issue with them is lack of ammo. Its rare to find at a gunshow. Last one I went to I bought the only 2 boxes in the place. And if you do find ammo, its gonna be FMJ. I would very much worry about penetration with the 7.62x25, and the fact even being a pistol, very likely to hit someone behind your target. Now if they made some factory HP to use for carry be different. I know Wolf supposedly makes some HP, but I have never seen any. Those 90gr XTP will really do a job at that kind of velocity, but probably not wise to use handloads in a carry gun.

I wish Wolff still sold higher weight springs for tokarevs. The factory one works fine, just be nice if they didn't send the brass into low orbit. I have a 1911 in tokarev, w a 24lbs spring they are way easier to recover, and not afraid to run hotter ammo in it.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

My Tok33 (Romy) is my summer-weight IWB carry pistol. I use Lee's 93gr RN .311 mold and cutdown and reformed Lake City 5.56 cases and the recoil and accuracy is very nice compared to my heavier 1911s. Fun to shoot and accurate is an understatement. Polish Milsurp are flamethrowers out of this pistol so I no longer shoot the milsurps stuff but I'm sure it would be very deadly with a 100gr Hornady hollowpoint as well.

But to say its an improved 1911...nope. Two different trains of thought despite the Browning heritage of the Tok.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I know Wolf supposedly makes some HP, but I have never seen any.

I wish Wolff still sold higher weight springs for tokarevs.
    Wolf JHP is actually Privi Pastisan in a wolf box. It is headstamped PPU. I have a couple hundred rounds, enough for carry forever, but eventually I'm going to have to start loading the XTP for a little more advanced bullet design.

I wish I could remember where I got my heavier springs. I think I still got them from wolf, but not specifically made for the Tok.

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    But I still get issued M1911A1s. This picture is from Afghanistan in Dec 14'. Bottom center is the one I had signed out and is in Condition 1 just out of the holster for the photo.

CD
    Those are some sweet 1911s

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast