Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermometer?

Boolit Buddy

Thermometer?

I am new to the forum and to bullet casting. I have started collecting WWs and other lead scraps from a recycling yard. I have large pieces of lead pipe, and pipe seals, as well as lead screening that looks like spaghetti.

I am reading through the forum for ideas on pots, ladels, skimmers, ingot molds, etc. I have a turkey fryer for my heat source. What I want to know is do I need a thermometer just for cleaning the lead and making ingots? I guess I will eventually need one for casting boolits but I want to get a good supply of lead/ingots before I start with the casting. Thanks for your advice.

Jay

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Yes, you do, because you don't want to melt the zinc wheel weights and ruin your lead. Zinc melts at a higher temperature and having a thermometer helps keep you in the correct temperature range to melt lead, but not melt zinc.

You can pick up a good thermometer from the www.antimonyman.com or just google the antimony man if I've misstyped.

Regards,

Dave

In Remebrance

The dissenting opinion- No you don't NEED a thermometer. The zinc WW I've seen are much harder and different looking than lead alloy ww. Find yourself some nice long lead ww and sort of scrape it with your pocket knife. You can feel how it "feels". A zinc WW done the same way feels like you're scraping steel and gritty at that. Just my 2 cents. If $$ are tight you can get by without one fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed Bret, in my expiriences the temp won't rise much as long as WW are melting. Over moderate heat, you should have lots of time to dip out the zinc.
    My answer is no to need, but yes to should have eventually.
    Wouldn't be without mine.

Boolit Grand Master

For the pipe, joints and screen there is no zinc issue. For WW, just melt them while paying attention. When the lead just turns liquid, give the pot a quick stir and pull the clips and zinc weights off the surface with a fryer strainer, slotted spoon or similar tool. Then flux liberally, clean off the surface and pour ingots.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for responses. Another question, how long does it take for the ingots to set up before I can knock them out and pour more? I will probably buy a cupcake pan since a lot of people seem to like them, cost I suppose.

Boolit Grand Master

How fast does a bicycle go? Depends who's riding it. Ingot size, melt temperature and ambient temperature all play into how fast an ingot will cool. It's a different answer every time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jforwel View Post
    Thanks for responses. Another question, how long does it take for the ingots to set up before I can knock them out and pour more? I will probably buy a cupcake pan since a lot of people seem to like them, cost I suppose.
    I like the muffin pan idea because it's cheap but a four cav ingot mold doesn't cost much and mine works like a charm. Let the mold cool while you're adding more lead to your melt. By the time you're ready for the next pour the ingots should fall out with a light knock.

I got 3 muffin pans that have 12 in each. I fill all 3, then add more to the pot, while the pot is melting I can empty the 3 pans then pick the lead splash spots off them. repeat until your out of lead.

Boolit Buddy
    That sounds pretty logical, thanks to all.

Jay

Boolit Buddy
    Melting Zinc in with lead is a real cruddy deal but vaporizing the lead is a health hazard. Whatever you do make sure your melt doesnt get hot enough to vaporize. I dont know of any way to do that except with a thermometer.

Marc

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marc2 View Post
    Melting Zinc in with lead is a real cruddy deal but vaporizing the lead is a health hazard. Whatever you do make sure your melt doesnt get hot enough to vaporize. I dont know of any way to do that except with a thermometer.

Marc
    How about pouring it right after it melts? A crazy plan that just might work...

i never use a thermometer for making ingots. I've done it enough that I can pretty much tell how hot it is. Now cast boolits is a different story. My Magma pot get a thermometer just until it's up to temp. that pot stays right on the money, and my Lee pot has a PID controller on it, so it now has one built right in.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Buddy
    Sundog,

Dont want to high jack the thread but what is this PID controller you speak of in reference to your Lee Pot?

Marc

Boolit Master

Thermometers are a good idea, I have an RCBS and I wouldn't cast without it. I have read on this forum of many that have had problems with the Lyman unit, so it might be best to avoid that one. Bill Furguson offers what looks to be a very nice one for about the same money as the RCBS unit, check him out at "The Antimony Man" websight.

Le Loup Solitaire

Ingot molds

Probably the cheapest ingot mold currently available is the Lee which is going for less than 10 bucks at Midsouth. It casts 2 one pound ingots and 2 one-half pounders on the same pour. When you have cast several times the heat buildup starts to take over and you have to wait longer before you turn the mold over and dump them. If there is still liquid "puddle" showing you have to wait before dumping. Putting the full mold on a damp or folded wet rag helps somewhat, but keep anything wet well behind you. If you decide to use a muffin pan, try and find one that is made out of aluminum or cast iron. Lead will not stick to either and it is no problem to dump solidified casts...other than the full pan weighs a bit much. Muffin pans that are made of anything else might have a problem with the casted ingots sticking, which is a royal PITA to deal with. LLS

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks le loup, I was wondering about the type of pan as I have read about sticky ingots on other threads. I was originally wondering if I should use teflon or crisco with flour like my mama used to do. Just kidding

I don't know yet if I am going to buy the Lyman 4500 sizer kit or not. It comes with the 10lb pot and ingot mould plus other stuff. I will still need to buy a #3 laddle for my ingots and might as well get the thermometer at the same time.

Boolit Master

i know this may sound stupid but if your new to casting water and molten lead DO NOT MIX so dont try to cool the ingot mold with water just thought i would throw that out rick

Marc2
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=pid
    here is a thread about PID controllers a PID controller is a proportional–integral–derivative. it's basically a good accurate thermostat. I work for an electronics company, so after buying the controller for under $50 on Ebay I was able to get the other few things I need like a relay and capacitor.
    really makes a big difference on the fluctuationg temps of the Lee pots.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Boolit Buddy
    Shotman I have read about water and molten lead several times, but thanks for the warning, one can never have too much advice on safety.