Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Paper Patch Throat?

Boolit Master

Paper Patch Throat?

A friend of mine has been pushing PP for years and I'm thinking I might try it.

I have a Lone Star roller in 45-70. I don't think it's necessary to throat it for PP loads but it sounds like a good idea. Plus, it sounds like it might help with some bore-riders of mine; easing the transition into the lands and allowing me to seat them a bit further out.

Has anyone reamed their throat for PP, and what results have you had going back to conventional lubed boolits or jacketed, afterwards? My pal claims there is no downside, which may be true but always makes me a little skeptical.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perm-Banned
    i have two 45/70s, a cpa with a gain twist smith barrel and a buffalo clasic. i only shoot paperpatch in them. i throated them to .459 with a reamer i bought years ago. wouldnt want to shoot them any other way. both barrels are about .4585. my wrapped bullets start .451 and dry wrap to about .4585. they slip easily into the back of the bore and shoot very very accurate. i only use reloader 7 or blackhorn 209 powder. i never have to wipe out the barrel or the throat to load with ease or maintain accracy. i dont know if it is necessary but it sure works for me. i have shot years ago cast bullets in the throated guns but now it is only dry wrapped paperpatch. you have a very fine gun, i believe your friend to be right, their is no down side. it is a old idea that still works.

Boolit Master
    Thanks! It sounds like a job I can do on my own but if anyone can recommend a good 'smith in southeastern Pa, I don't mind farming it out.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perm-Banned
    JSnover, please check you pm/s.