RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering about AR "bedding" quirks

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well the rub.......

I haven't lost all my humor .

I tore into the for end after making a load check this morning . Seems like the heat shield liner ,made in Israel , was rubbing on the gas tube on both ends. Quite heavily at the breach end . There is a mark on the bottom as well but nothing to match it up to . So I guess I'll have to shoot it again just to see if the .022 aluminum plus curve is enough to keep it clear, all part of the learning process right .....

KISS how stupid to find something that simple ,presuming that is it....

I haven't seen anything to make me think the bullet is failing . Even if I'm walking the raged edge.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Gas tube problems are like lever gun problems. A heat shield chattering on the tube shouldn't be a problem.
    Whatever!

Until you find out it is. Depends on how much pressure it is putting on the tube. Could be causing interference at the bolt or just odd harmonics in the barrel.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Dropped $160 ..... where's the gasping coronary smiley. ... on 3 boxes of 6.8 ,1k primers and 1 box ea 277 Serria 130 gr bullets , 308 Hy-shock 150 and 12 ga steel shot . So I will see if the factory super premium awesomeness makes a difference. ..........

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Agree bullet_head but like my 30/30, I get vertical stringing. He says it's horizontal. Maybe some target pics, Harter?
    Whatever!

Well I found the new bits in the mailbox today. A pleasant surprise since they weren't expected before Tuesday . During the take down a couple of things were found . Apparently there is considerable space between the FH stop shoulder answer the muzzle crown . The crown and muzzle looked like it was finished with a shot peen or a 60 grit blaster . The particulate lead that is usually cast of at the muzzle (or antimony wash or whatever it is that isn't bbl leading and is cast off) had nearly filled the gap. (I've found this in a HP clone in the slide and an sks muzzle device. These however didn't muck with the crown) . I dug the lead chunks out of the threads of the FH and will see about closing the space up or getting or making a thread protector that won't have a gap to fill with whatever. Anyway the fitting of the new fore end will require some more work to "line up all the holes" . I didn't expect to have it arrive as fully assembled as it did and it will require me to make a new bbl block to achieve the correct alignment of holes and torque settings. I'd have sworn I ordered the set with the action block but I guess not . I must have fooled with the new gas tube for half an hour to get it to a nil bump alignment with the action and bolt .

I was able to get out long enough to send a few known accurate loads down range . The accuracy is back where it started , a little better even, but I can't be sure if it is the parts or just being more familiar with the rifle than on day 1. Some of both I expect. The same factory load that shot 2-3 MOA out of the box shot about 1.7 . I'd call that a gain and take it for all of the above.

I ran more numbers and can get the ftlb@range numbers at a paltry 2190 with both the 279-124 and the 27-130 . (Secretly I know that's moving on for an expansion soft bullet) .

if it is the parts or just being more familiar with the rifle
    Probably both plus proper assy. Bet you are all smiles now that it's working right. And you learned a lot. Now to get a working brass catcher. Buddy has a new Caldwell version on a 458 socom that works great. I modded my old one with gorilla glue so it works OK now. I'm trying to get my BO to run at the 1k '# range also with MOA but PB.
    Whatever!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12