Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swapping and selling

Took a break from the site/reloading for a while due to work. When i came back i saw some rules changed in S&S. Looked them over and agree with all of them. To me S&S is meant to be a casual who needs it cause i dont anymore type of place not the flea market gun show.com. Everyone also forgets to check the WTB side of the fence. I recently posted there and was helped out alot by another member.

Boolit Master

I liked S&S before the new rules because I buy far more than I sell here. Now that subforum looks dead. I figured if somebody haunted estate or yard sales and made a few bucks for their time that's cool because: 'Merica and free enterprise. Of course the site owners want a piece of that pie for the same reason. I'm not happy but I'm not going to rage quit over it, I just won't be here every day.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Love Life
    People were having repetitive yardsale posts without paying up as they should have. The rules have always been clear.

Casual sales=Have a good time.
    Volume sales and repetitive laundry lists=Pay to play

People took advantage of that. I remember when Stevie Wonder called me to tell me he was seeing it happen to often. It cluttered up the S&S forum with bumps and left over rollover threads.

It was very much annoying to see 5 S&S posts in a row by the same member hawking his volume items or estate sale flips, and not having the red user name.

As it stands you can still sell a decent amount of items per month, but you just have to consolidate your threads. Sell 5 items per thread X 3 threads= 15 items per month.

Boolit Master

my issues with the new rules are #1 members that were here before the new rules went into effect were going to be grandfathered in, well that didn't happen and # 2 after the rules took effect people with "good" join dates but "bad" post counts were selling but people with "bad" join dates and "good" post counts were barred, rules clearly stated 6 months and 100 post count but were not enforced fairly. understand the need for rules and they don't bother me but the twisting of rules to favor one class instead of across the board fair really gets under my skin.

Love Life
    Issues need to be brought to the Mods for resolution. Closed mouths don't get fed.

I would not have the shooting sport I do without the knowledge base and the S&S of this web site. Period. I would be shooting, I might even be casting again, but I would not be having the successes, the knowledge, and the skills, at the price I attained them. My shooting is now considered part of my ongoing physical therapy, and without the tasks associated with this sport (smelting, casting, reloading, etc.), when I am able to perform them, I would be more disabled than I am now. In fact, without the ability to sell what I no longer need, or without the ability to purchase/sell/swap lead alloys brass, etc., I would not be able to afford any of what I am doing, or at least to the extent I am doing it.

So, I ask of the owner, moderator, and users of this web site to consider carefully what may be considered good or bad, and remember while we all have varying reasons for being here, the aim of this web site is to serve the cast boolit-shooting community. In this endeavor Castboolits has made a HUGE difference to me. Thanks. To be doing what I am in this shooting sport again, while not being able to work, is barely short of a miracle in and of itself. If rule changes are needed to maintain this site, then I am all for it as long as we don't lose what we've got.

Boolit Master
    All I can say is the guys selling empty ammo boxes he picked up the range isent filling every other ad lol. I like the new rules. frendly sales for friends who all enjoy the hobby.

Boolit Buddy

I have no problem with the new rules, this is not my forum so therefore I abide by the rules that govern it and never complain. I am just glad it is here and I am a member. I always abide by what my mother taught me, to treat others as I would want to be treated and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. I don't get involved in politics, nor do I make sarcastic comments either in jest or in anger.
    Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Boolit Master
    I didn't even know there were rule changes until I read all the angst filled posts. I thought the rules always meant casual sales only. I have made some fantastic buys on this sight and I have sold several items. I still have lots of items I need to sell but I am just too lazy to dig them out and list them, after all who needs 10 lube sizers? I enjoy exchanging info and ideas with members around the world. I hope this site lasts for a very long time. I am not going anyplace.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    my issues with the new rules are #1 members that were here before the new rules went into effect were going to be grandfathered in, well that didn't happen and # 2 after the rules took effect people with "good" join dates but "bad" post counts were selling but people with "bad" join dates and "good" post counts were barred, rules clearly stated 6 months and 100 post count but were not enforced fairly. understand the need for rules and they don't bother me but the twisting of rules to favor one class instead of across the board fair really gets under my skin.
    Do you really see a need for older members to be grandfathered in?? I can see where trying to enforce two different sets of rules would be a can of worms for the mods.
    As far as different rules for a different class, I don't see how the mods could purposely do that even if they wanted to, my profile shows nothing about class, or even gender for that matter.
    I think it is just a date deal, there has to be a cutoff somewhere.
    I don't tend to join most forums and read this site daily for over a year before I joined to ask and don't remember if I finally joined to ask a question I couldn't find an answer to, or to buy something in the swapping and selling. I have seen several folks join just to sell in the swapping and selling, not exactly what the site is intended for.

Boolit Master

FYI , here is a cut and paste from the rules sticky :
    6 Months Active Membership & 100 Post requirement to sell:
    Must be an active member for a minimum of 6 months with a minimum of 100 post. No requirement to be a buyer. See "Grandfather Clause"

Grandfather Clause:
    Members with a join date before July 2015 must have a minimum of 30 post. All other rules apply.

So if you were here before July 2015 you are grandfathered in with 30 posts and allowed to sell . Only New members from July forward will need the 6 months and 100 Meaningful Posts to sell here. There are no restrictions on purchasing from Swap and sell.
    You can also Join team Boolits and sell in that section .
    If there are special circumstances where a large amount of goods need to be offered for sale to the members (Like you are terminally ill or you need Money for Cancer treatments and you are forced to sell your gear) then you can contact Robert No_1 and ask for an exemption for a 1 time deal . He has the final say so...

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Grand Master

Time will tell if the new rules were a good move. I personally have my doubts. The S&S sections of forums usually bring in a lot of clicks. Which is what sponsors like to see. It also helps grow the membership as the causal user starts to read other parts of the site.

It seems like a blanket policy that punished everyone to some extent. Instead of forcing certain members to pay for Vendor status everyone is now limited. It's not my sight an I will abide by the rules. I don't sell a lot so the limits won't effect me. But there seems to be a marked decrease in activity already. I have bought a lot off of here and have been able to pick up some great deals from the "estate sellers".

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog25 View Post
    I have no problem with the new rules, this is not my forum so therefore I abide by the rules that govern it and never complain. I am just glad it is here and I am a member. I always abide by what my mother taught me, to treat others as I would want to be treated and if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything. I don't get involved in politics, nor do I make sarcastic comments either in jest or in anger.

Could not have said it better

Super Moderator

I agree that there is a decline in S&S. But...It wont affect me either. I have bought & sold more than a couple of items here, but never from the estate sellers. Casual sales only was abused, and obviously resulted in the new rules. I wish they would just get a "VS" under their name and quit complaining. Problem solved. As you say...time will tell. In my opinion, nobody was punished...only asked to man up for a little $$$ to sell off a carp-load of stuff.

I have a real problem with the way the change over happened. I hadn't been around for a while. Interests changed and hobbies changed. I don't cast or reload as much.
    Come back to sell of the projects that will never happen and the spare parts. Now mind you, this is before the new rules. I post up a list with 18 or so items. My ad was pulled, no warning. DELETED. 3 or 4 buyers now are wanting to know why "I pulled the ad". I am to it's too many items. No more than 10. There's 5 ads on the first page with 15+ items one with 20+ but oh well. So I fix the ad, relist with 10 items. BAM. ad pulled same thing. Next I try after the new rules, So I fix it the 3rd time. Post 5 items. BAM ad pulled. Now I'm not an active poster. All ads pulled without a warning. Now I'm banned from swapping and selling. So be it.
    Oh, I'm told if I want to pay for a vendor sponsor to sell my extra sets of dies, molds, my spare presses and sizer then I can do whatever I want. Made sure I turned off my membership subscription after that one.

I don't understand the reasoning. I have a bunch of casting gear I'm not going to use. I outfitted most of my shop from this site. The swapping and selling was why I came back everyday. Sure I came for questions and information when I needed it, but I was here daily for S&S.
    It makes no sense to me why 5 item posts are the new rule, I'm not looking for an explanation. I don't really care.

I read a few of the "I'm outa here" posts today and someone might want to pay attention when the long time guys are quitting instead of complaining.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    I agree that there is a decline in S&S. But...It wont affect me either. I have bought & sold more than a couple of items here, but never from the estate sellers. Casual sales only was abused, and obviously resulted in the new rules. I wish they would just get a "VS" under their name and quit complaining. Problem solved. As you say...time will tell. In my opinion, nobody was punished...only asked to man up for a little $$$ to sell off a carp-load of stuff.
    "Man up a little $$$ to sell off a carp-load of stuff" - I'd be fine with that if I wasn't afraid of being blocked, banned, BS'd some more after spending $100.
    It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    It would seem a workable compromise to address all the "wants" might be possible, if it didn't burden the mods excessively.
    What if... The new rules were the norm for the vast majority of S&S...Obvious vendors (including the estate liquidators and garage sale resalers) have the opportunity to become sight vendors by paying up for the access... Third case (like Doc Stihl describes) might be the rarer circumstance where a member has a fairly large amount of gear to offer, but is obviously a NOT regular vendor type. Perhaps selling off his old accumulation, or gear for a deceased friend's family in a "once a year" type posting.
    Would it seem reasonable to require permission for such instances, so that individual non-vendor members might be able to make a rare posting of larger lots? With moderator approval, I don't see a problem.
    I'm guessing if you rarely post items for sale in S&S but suddenly have the opportunity to offer up a shopful of shooting related items, it would be obvious that you aren't a vendor type.

It would, of course, add even more work to the mods here (that aren't always recognized for the efforts they make attempting to keep this site running well), but it might resolve a few of the issues being raised.
    I think this is a question best asked to the gentlemen who moderate this forum, but I thought it might be a workable alternative.

Now... back to week1 NFL.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Stihl View Post
    Now mind you, this is before the new rules. I post up a list with 18 or so items.

Sir, the post you reference was for 58, yes Fifty-Eight sets of dies, not 18. At that time the rules clearly stated "No long laundry lists" You then broke those 58 items into 3 three threads, which were pulled.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Master
    Thing changed!! The rules. Me; I personal try to follow the law. Well I speed down the road 5-10 MPH over. Am, I upset. NO!!

Well I go to an auction and buy Extra Items to try to resell here at 10-20 % over what I paid, at a savings to people here of about 30-50 % NO !!

I asked about becoming a Vendor, Never heard back. As I can understand the rules and the need. I do like to in what, I call my off season for me, is from now to say spring. To sale here, would list about 10-15 items (maybe 20) and maybe three different posts over a few weeks, have a list of every buyer and PM them the lists, as to combined shipping. Some items are little or of little value like a lube pad, only a few bucks, maybe I got it in a box of MISC. and only paid 10-15 Bucks for the box. Other items small are case holders, bushing, top punches, now I just don't buy them. I would buy a box of them and sale at 30-50 % of retail, if I needed a few to finish my needs okay buy the lot and resale extras. With the new sale limits, I don't know of anyone that would buy a say a MEC bushing for 3.00 and pay 3.00 up to maybe 5 + to ship it. So my extras will stay in a organizer and sale at where ever I can. Not here in the regular S&S as the list would not even make it to the normally used ones before I maxed out the new rules of 5. All ready seen it happen with sizer last week.

BY the way after I sold my first few (couple) lists I be came a Sponsor on team Boolits, which doesn't get the views that S&S does. But I'll maybe try to sell the little items there.

I would say I have bought more here then I have sold personal, Sure did sell a lot of brass and j-bullets for buddies here that were extras.

This site is a great place to explained and learn. As with anything there are some that just are a rotten apple, we all have to deal with the rules as they stand. Only had one mixed up on trade and buy. I was never paid for the sizer, so I explained to the person and they just got mad. I tried to reexplain and asked for receipt for his postage as maybe it was lost and I'll take it as maybe it was lost before I got to see it. I was cash the personal mailed. Mods were told and I would do what was needed to keep the peace. I have watched at meetings of public office and no one would come around unless they complained. I want all of the MODS ( past too ) that I do thank them !! Someone has to be the bad guy right, most persons that are complaining need to just look into the mirror. Anytime thing change people get upset. Most don't like change.

Boolit Grand Master

I seldom venture to S&S but on my few trips there I saw the need for the new rules and agree that they will likely keep the forum safe for the casual sales I would like to see there. I'd like to see an exception (and I think there are provisions for such) for a one-time laundry list for a compelling reason at mods' discretion.
    As for the estate sale and garage sale resellers they fit my definition of vendors and should pay for the opportunity, IMHO. That said, I've bought from a vendor or two and only sold one or two things here. I spend very little time in S&S. I do like to support our commercial sponsors and always try to make a point of thanking them for their sponsorship.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast