Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Coated rifle boolit target/accuracy result log

Boolit Master

Coated rifle boolit target/accuracy result log

Post your results shooting coated rifle bullets and get positive feedback on your efforts, as well as tips on how to improve your results. This is for rifle targets only, but if you are shooting 357 mag or similar rifle you are welcome to join. Everyone is welcome to post their groups or even patterns whether it be 50 yards “I know some of you only shoot that far” or beyond 200 yards. Group size is non-linear so if you are shooting at 50 yards do not expect a calculable spread at 100 yards or beyond.

For the sake of new people to the game trying to match results, 100 yard groups and data are appreciated as a starting point, as well as 5 shot groups. With that being said to make things repeatable please provide pertinent information such as powder coating used, application method, bake time, or any other information regarding the coating, as well as load data, and velocity if known.

This is not a “you must attain 2” accuracy to be valid” thread. Those of you who and have achieved this threshold are welcome to keep it going here. If you can only attain 4” at 100 yards I have no problem with you posting your results, and if you can get 1” groups or close to it great! Without the flow of information the cast boolit community suffers, and with new techniques for wrapping our lead being presented at a level unprecedented in the hobby we need to keep on top of what works, and what is a waste of time. This will NOT be a coating bash thread, and you are not welcome to post anti coating rhetoric. Discussion about groups, and techniques to improve them are welcome. We know coatings work for both pistol, AND rifle. MOA 2200fps coated boolit groups are attainable, and possibly beyond that threshold. Now let’s see those results!

Boolit Master
    To start this thread off I am pulling my results from another thread, and putting them here. This is the only rifle I have done any work on as far as accuracy. Last month I received the Mihec .502 boolit mold I have been waiting for to use in the 50 Beowulf, but I am still developing a new load for it.

1. 20 shots fired over the chronograph to establish a baseline. Immediately started to fire some groups while still warm.
    2. These were coated with ebay blue PC, ASBBTC, and baked at 400F for 20 minutes
    3. Bullet was a Mihec 311410 H/P with medium pin weighing 130 grains. Culled to the nearest grain. 50/50Pb,ww, sized .310.
    4. 17.7 grains H110 velocity average was 2161.5FPS, spread 73. First 10 over the chronograph were still single digit SD then jumped into the 20’s.Min 2119FPS, max 2192FPS, shots a second .20.
    5. This was a new 300 blackout AR15 build with a pistol gas carbine barrel from CMMG. Less than 200 rounds through it so far.
    6. I have not compared traditionally lubed bullets or jacketed with this one yet. Still fresh, and needs to be broken in.
    7. GC were annealed aluminum that I made with a FreechexIII.
    8. I will show the first group and the last, first was 5 shots, and last group was 11 shots.
    9. It took about 5 groups plus the warm up shots over the chronograph before it really started to deteriorate. The first 3 or four groups were all about 2 inches total. After 20 shots I should have cleaned it, but I was just having too much fun with my son by my side with 2 blackouts going at the same time. By 60 rounds the groups were consistently 4 inches. All groups were shot at 100 yards. (Added a 200 yard target) This is jacketed velocity territory for the 300 blackout.

If anyone has an idea to help me get rid of the vertical dispersion I am all ears.
    Last edited by xacex; 09-02-2015 at 01:49 PM.

1) try some H.T.d for comparison, alloy may be starting to fail. I had to add some hardness for the 308 carbine to get to 2400 accurately.
    2) H110 is a little temperamental - 18 gr. isn't a very full case, might try some with dacron - I know - a PITA.
    3) Not familiar with that PC but check your coating for thin coats. Try wiping the noses with some Canola oil to see if ES is constant - would indicate some PC coating in the bore. I have not noticed a decrease in accuracy due to it. I don't Chrony much or pay much attention to ES unless it is really bad - I use an RCBS powder dropper so I know it's not real accurate start to finish.
    4) fun factor can affect accuracy in the BO, just too much darn fun. I assume a free-floated HG on the AR - heat still affects it.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Thanks popper! I will give some of those a try. Can you explain the use of canola oil and its relation to ES, and powder coating in the bore? Are you using it as a thin lube after loading right before shooting?
    Last edited by xacex; 09-02-2015 at 05:43 PM.

Yes. I used it in 30/30 before I found PC. Cheap stuff as lube, coats the bore, main ingredient in peanut butter. I think Bstone had problems with red HF when he first started, wasn't cooked long enough - he had problems cleaning it out. PC probably leaves residue in the bore, I haven't found it hurts accuracy or cold barrel first shot - tested @ 30F by me.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    I was hoping for more responses that meet the OP criteria but was disappointed.

I am not shooting rifles and most of my target shooting is limited to 20 yards (close by indoor range).

However, I have achieved my best ever boolit load and it happens to be ASBB HF red PC coated. Details at:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...27#post3459027

My recent run with my 6.8 gave me sub 2" 50yd groups. Pushing it out to 100, a big over 3" for 5, opened to al iat 6" for 10. Noe pb 126gr, smokes I'd green baked for 15min, loaded over lt32 to give right at 2000fps. My next batch has been water dropped out of the oven, see if that changes anything.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TgtGfx23.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	155040
    145gr PB in 300BO. Ul is uncoated nose - very rough noses, LR is uncoated base. 1&2% Cu added to isocore - ~1700 fps. ESPC coated Smoke's black, then cooked @ 415F for one hr, dropped in ice water. Shot after a week.
    Attachment 155043Attachment 155042170 gr GC, left is ~50 from 16" 1:10 - 39gr H335 2400fps, right is 100, with 42gr. H4895 24" 1:10 308W - 2650 fps. ESPC HF red cooked one hr @ 400F, cold water dropped. Alloy is 4% Sb, 0.5% Cu. Same batch of boolits ~6mo. old. Both are ARs so seated off the lands.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Give the thread some time. It's winter in many areas and hunting season in many areas. I have seen a 2" 100 yard, 5 shot group from my MAS GSA M1949, which honestly was very surprising but I didn't have time to even chronograph it yet.

Perusing powder coated accuracy is very much an interest of mine. I wish I still had my .308 Win silhouette rifle to use for this purpose. Hopefully this coming summer I'll be able to work on this.

Motor

Attachment 155143
    300BO today. From 12 clockwise 120 Rem factory 2200 fps (sorry, not 155 Amax), 145gr PB 2% Cu, 145 PB 1% Cu - both should be close to 1800 fps, 150 Hornady reloads (book says 1900). Tried the 40WT Lancer mags - I really like these - NO feeding problems, all are fired from the mags. My shooting still sucks - today was reasonable. 30/30 with 150gr PB was terrible - get the white smoke - too fast or something.
    Edit: giving up on the 30/30 with cast. Got lots of corelok & FTX I can load it with + BO & 308 work fine - lighter and will do what I want.
    Last edited by popper; 12-08-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

1.5 MOA @ 100 yards. 7.62 x 39 in a Ruger Hawkeye Compact, 16 inch barrel, PC vs Recluse Loob I will call it a tie!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ts-in-2-rifles
    Last edited by Hickok; 12-12-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Getting better Popper! Hickock, looks like you matched traditional lube on your loads. I need to update the op. Looks like my targets got lost on the web somewhere.

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...psyirqgioi.jpg
    http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/...pszk0dgkzf.jpg
    50 & 100 PCd, after I broke in the S.G. with some clays. This is a modified PB so I'll toss out some fliers due to me or the base PC coating - Didn't cull any bad coated bases ( I don't coat the base of these anymore). Lots more holes in the 50 target I didn't mark but as major group size is ~ the same, I'll claim most error is ME. Haven't chronied lately (30# of stuff + rifles carried to the range is enough) but prev., they are 17 - 1800 fps.
    edit: really need to chrony these, Hodgdon says closer to 2K fps.
    Last edited by popper; 12-18-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    Whatever!