Thread: Ultimate Lyman 45/450/4500 accessory

Boolit Master

Ultimate Lyman 45/450/4500 accessory

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	147571

I recently ordered parts for my 45 from Lyman. Part of the order was their Chapman style wrench for the pressure screw. I made it through maybe 30 bullets before the lyman wrench broke.
    I ordered the 1/4" gearwrench's off Amazon for around $7-8/ea shipped. Few more $ than Lyman's and I'm sure they'll hold up way longer.

Moderator Emeritus

I bet that gearwrench will work great.
    I use a 1/4-Inch "Dual-Drive" stubby ratchet
    http://www.amazon.com/Maxcraft-60199...D86ZX9NHNPD4SX
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I thought about a 1/4" ratchet but like how the gearwrench sits down on the pressure screw lower

Gearwrench's last forever. I have a set that I use everyday at work. I would have never paid that much for a set of wrenches but these were free. I love them, I don't even use a socket set anymore. After 3 years of everyday use I still haven't broken one.

Boolit Buddy
    I like my ratchet and socket. It gives me a little more height, but I have a Lube A Matic.

My Lyman 45 still has, what I believe to be, the original wrench, and it is still going strong. If it was to ever break, I would probanly get one with a longer handle than the original, but maybe the additional leverage may cause extra wear on the parts. She's an old girl, so I like to treat her right.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master
    Man... what are you doing breaking that original wrench from the Lyman? I've never seen one of them break (I've always seen ones that were identical to the Chapman or even directly from Chapman.) I've been around guys that seem to regularly break the horns off anvils, but the sizer wrench has never been a problem.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Froggie you must know my son. He could break the anvil with a rubber mallet. Now he's an FAA certified airframe and powerplant technician. Kinda scary.

Jerry Liles

In Remembrance

A broken wrench after only 30 boolets kinda sounds to me like a hard unheated lube is being forced to lube by reefing on the lube wrench, just my .02 cents worth.Robert

Boolit Master

Dang it! I never thought about a chapman wrench breaking. The two I have on a old 450 (bought over 30 years ago) and a 45 are still going strong but probably the next time I use it..........

Boolit Grand Master

Anything made by man can contain a defect and break. The Chapman style wrench is perfectly adequate for the task. Your gear wrench will serve well also. I like an old style Craftsman socket wrench as I feel the handles are more comfortable. Plenty of ways to skin that cat...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Lyman actually purveys the wrench on their Lyman 45/450 parts page: http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html
    I have recently ordered some parts from them, vis this site, and what I ordered came -- fairly quickly, too.
    If you wish the "real McKoy" -- here's a source.
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago I broke a Lyman wrench probably not knowing how the thing worked a friend gave me a Snap-on ratchet ring spanner best little tool ever been
    using it for 40 years, I have 3 Lyman 450's and it is used on all of them, I do have the Lyman wrench but the Snap-on gets the most use it's the most comfitable

The new Chapman wrench I got last week says Made in C****, the older ones were made in the U**. Just sayin.

Boolit Master
    Yes, I had purchased a new one from Lyman made in China. I wasn't cranking on it extra hard by any means, I had the heater running

Boolit Master

Ultimate Lyman 45/450/4500 accessory

Had an original Lyman-Ideal wrench (made by Chapman) from Grandpas 45 (built in the 50s I believe) still in use today. Broken two newer model Chapman ones in the last 5 years.

Another good replacement is the Husky 1/4" ratcheting box end wrench available at any Homedepot for about $4-$5 and carries the Husky lifetime warranty. Have one in my shop as a backup if the newer Chapman breaks again.

Boolit Master
    +1 for a 1/4" ratchet and socket. I can't even remember what happened to the original wrench for my 450.

Have the original Chapman that came with the 450 about 40 years ago. Still on the Lyman and still works.

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie I have a used 450 with what I assume is the original Chapman wrench. The inner piece is so worn that it barely engages! Not broken, worn out.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    Froggie you must know my son. He could break the anvil with a rubber mallet. Now he's an FAA certified airframe and powerplant technician. Kinda scary.

Jerry Liles
    That's reassuring. If he doesn't break it on the ground you know it will never break in the air!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast