WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Single stage press question

Single stage press question

Years ago I had a rock chucker. I have a Dillon 650 now for my 45acp. I want to load 308 now single stage and might get rock chucker, unless I get some input from others. I like loading rifle single stage, it lets me size, trim, polish, and prime when I have time and then load at leisure with different combinations till I get it right.

Boolit Grand Master

First of all, you can load "single stage" on a progressive.

If I were in the market for a press dedicated to "testing", I would seriously consider the Lee Classic Turret. It can easily be operated as a single stage and has the great benefit of using as a turret when needed. It is quick and easy to change calibers (in seconds, really), is sturdy and has compound leverage. It seems to me to be the "best of both worlds". As a matter of fact, I have long used the "old" Lee turret press in just such a manner. The Cast Iron Classic Turret is much sturdier and is better adapted to rifle cartridges than the older press that I have.

FWIW
    Dale53

Banned

i load for my m-14 on my dillon 550
    and for my bolt action on a rock chucker

Banned
    Shameles plug for you to buy a new press.

My dedicated single stage presses are both Forster Bonaza's, there is a certain level of precision that the press allows that the rockchucker does not. Not bashing the RC (god no I would never do that I loaded on one for years) but the bonanzas "floating" die system simply turns out more concetric ammo). The fact that your spent primers end up in a sealed jar, and you do not need dedicated cal specific shellholders also have their value, I really hate picking spent primers off the floor, and thats something that the RC seems to want to make you do no matter how you proceed. 2 second die changes in the bonanza will make you smile too.

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    I owned a Rock Chucker and got rid of it when I did a side by side comparison with a Lee Classic Cast single stage. The Lee is superior all around, having a primer disposable system and a the capability to have "hands off" primer seating using the Lee safety prime. It also has an excellent linkage system, similar to the RC, but with a built in stop to prevent over travel. Like the RC, you can also add Hornady LnL bushing conversion kit to making changing dies a quick painless operation. In addition, the Lee is extremely affordable. I was able to sell my RC for about enough money to pay for the Lee Classic Cast.

The only other single stage I can think of I would buy over the Rock Chucker and the Lee Classic Cast is the Forster/Bonanza Coax. The Coax is probably the absolute best single stage out there. But the price is NOT cheap. But if you want the absolute best in long range accuracy, the Coax will give it to you.

Regards,

Dave

i agree that you can load rifle with a progressive, and use a progressive as a single stage.
    (I load for my AK and my AR's with a Dillon 550) but in my opinion, you can't beat a single stage for precision rifle (or pistol for that matter) all my tifle (Hunting ammo) is loaded with my Rock Chucker. I do really like the Lee Classic "O" press too, for the money.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Shameles plug for you to buy a new press.

My dedicated single stage presses are both Forster Bonaza's, there is a certain level of precision that the press allows that the rockchucker does not. Not bashing the RC (god no I would never do that I loaded on one for years) but the bonanzas "floating" die system simply turns out more concetric ammo). The fact that your spent primers end up in a sealed jar, and you do not need dedicated cal specific shellholders also have their value, I really hate picking spent primers off the floor, and thats something that the RC seems to want to make you do no matter how you proceed. 2 second die changes in the bonanza will make you smile too.
    Where would a fellow get a decent price on a Forster? You can order on their web site, but I figure this is top dollar.

The classic Lee will also double as a 50bmg also, right?

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    Yes, the Lee Classic will handle .50 BMG, you just need to use the Lee .50 dies with it.

Dave

decisions decisions

ddeaton,

Midway & Midsouth both show them in stock. Midway is $222 & Midsouth is $232. Graf sells them to dealers at $189, but of course they're out of stock.

Does anyone know if Midway accepts C&R licenses as a dealer..Geo
    N.R.A. Life Member

The Lee Classic cast iron press would be my choice, for all of the reasons other posters have cited. If Lee had brought this press out onto the market 30 years ago, it would have, in my estimation, been a top consideration of loaders who use the Rockchucker--and that is no slam against the RCBS product. The Lee Classic is that good.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    The Lee Classic is made in America, not Chinese cast parts...shame on RCBS Rock Chuscker.

I've heard the LC frame is made from rail road tracks, it would have to be tough to handle that sort of weight.

Have no idea what the Chinese RCBS is made from...maybe old MIg-15.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ddeaton View Post
    Where would a fellow get a decent price on a Forster? You can order on their web site, but I figure this is top dollar.
    I have a Forster Coax. It's an awesome press, BUT...if you are going to be loading big calibers and then switching to, say, 22 to 30 cal, much of the convenience of the shellholder-less design is lost, because the jaws that act as the shellholder have to be swapped out for a different size range. Pain in the neck.

I love the Coax, but it would not be my first choice if I was alternating between 50 BMG and smaller calibers.

For that scenario, Lee (or RCBS or Lyman or Hornady et al) shellholders are much easier, and the Lee Classic is a better choice.

The Lee also wins for more convenient and faster on-press priming.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Another vote for the Lee Classic Cast. Mine's the best reloading money I've ever spent. It even has the beef and leverage for mild bullet swaging.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgewxxx View Post
    ddeaton,

Does anyone know if Midway accepts C&R licenses as a dealer..Geo
    Yes - they sure do. I am using my C&R as a dealer at Midway.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

I prefer loading rifle calibers on a single stage myself.
    I take my time a little more when I load rifles, not for safety's sake but I try to be a little more precise and the single stage affords me that option.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

I went for the Lee cast and a set of 308 Forstner micrometer dies. Does anyone use a bench primer? I was looking at the Forstner model, but then seen all the others.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Lachmiller bench priming tool. However, when I went to the Lee Auto Prime handtool, I boxed up the Lachmiller. The Lee handtool is dern near wonderful (I use it on the line with my Schuetzen Outfit).

Dale53

Boolit Master
    I agree with Dale53 whole heartdely with one exception. I did not box up my Lachmiller priming tool. I still use mine extensively. one of the nice features of it is that it uses standard shell holders rather than special ones. Do ya hear that Richard Lee?
    I use single stage press's only. Much of my loading is test loads. Five or ten rounds at a time. When loading a larger quantity I batch load. I damn well want to kow what is going into each cartridge. I want to individually inspect each case and assertian that is is safe. I have blown up three rifles and three of them were with factory cargtridges. Nuff said! Incidentally, I used to make my living as a safety cunsultant. Neil