Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon RL-300?

Boolit Buddy

Dillon RL-300?

I just picked up a new, never used Dillon RL-300 with most of it in original packaging but a manual was not included. Most of the setup is intuitive but I'm still confused about how some of it is put together. Does anyone know where a manual can be found? The unpretentious machine didn't catch my eye originally but it's beginning to grow on me.

Boolit Master
    Seagiant will be along shortly I am certain. He owns and runs several RL-300's, it is his favorite press.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    I just picked up a new, never used Dillon RL-300 with most of it in original packaging but a manual was not included. Most of the setup is intuitive but I'm still confused about how some of it is put together. Does anyone know where a manual can be found? The unpretentious machine didn't catch my eye originally but it's beginning to grow on me.
    Any pics???
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Bub
    Considering Dillon's "No BS" warranty, I'd bet they'll send you a manual gratis.

Seagiant will probably try to buy it from you.

According to a posting on Dillon's forum, the shell plates and locator buttons from the rl550b will work on the rl300, but there are no tool heads available. If Seagiant can't help you with set up and running the rl300, Dillon might still have a manual to send you.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    I don't have a manual, but it's easy to figure out.

It does rotate opposite of the 450 and 550!

I have three, one in 45 ACP,one in 9MM and one on the workbench being rebuilt!

I'm left handed and it is an "H" type press so is southpaw friendly!

Being the primer feed and powder are worked manually you can work it progressively or just load one round at a time.

It is a very fun,relaxing loader to me and with good dies puts out EXCELLENT ammo!

Mike Dillon only made about 800 and said he lost $100 on each one.

It is a SOLID press and after this he went to the all cast frame for the RL-450!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks everyone for the info. Getting in touch with Dillon sounds like a good idea. I will most likely do that tomorrow. I'll post some pics soon after becoming a little more familiar with the press. I really don't know much about it but what I found unique so far besides the overall heft is the cast brass linkage and the bronze or brass bushing around the center shaft. The only other press that I recall seeing it on is the German made Prazi Press.

Boolit Master

Honestly, seagiant is probably your best resource for the RL300. He is trying to corner the RL300 market.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to treat your primer slides as gold. They are the part that can be damaged by careless use and are very difficult to find.

The Dillon RL300 "manual" is a really difficult to read photocopy of hand written instructions. With the possible exception of setting up the primer punch, the operation of this press is very intuitive.

Enjoy your new find!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Honestly, seagiant is probably your best resource for the RL300. He is trying to corner the RL300 market.

The best piece of advice I can offer is to treat your primer slides as gold. They are the part that can be damaged by careless use and are very difficult to find.

The Dillon RL300 "manual" is a really difficult to read photocopy of hand written instructions. With the possible exception of setting up the primer punch, the operation of this press is very intuitive.

Enjoy your new find!
    Thanks. It should be fun to work with it. As for cornering the market, seagiant has a long way to go with 800 of them made. LOL

Boolit Buddy
    Here are a couple of pics of the 300. I haven't figured out how to adjust the primer slide to drop a primer onto the primer stem yet. I'm hoping the info. requested from Dillon this morning will help. Got a chuckle out of the spent primer cup. It looks like the caps that cover trailer wheel bearings or the escutcheons used on fire sprinkler systems.

Attachment 147481Attachment 147483Attachment 147485

I have 2 friends that have 300's and they have changeable tool heads. They found a guy with a cnc machine and had heads made so they can change them out. like a 550.
    Last edited by Pee Wee; 08-29-2015 at 05:44 AM.

Hey BEESER
    As an original owner of a RL 300, I have an original owners manual(for lack of a better term). My press was sold to me with a phone call from Mike Dillon. I ****ed up, trusted him and purchased a package deal. Over thirty five years of continuous usage has not made a structural blemish in the machine. Ammunition produced on this press has secured many major Florida state titles in several different competitive shooting disciplines. My best estimate through primer purchases is around a million and a quarter rounds produced on this press to date. My financial status has never been a concern when equipment for my hobby was needed. The RL 300 is my choice for use. It has been my distinct pleasure to gift two friends with a Dillon RL 300 for each. One with the serial number plate and one without. As mentioned, tool heads are the hurdle. Without fanfare, they are painfully expensive to reverse engineer. Even then, they are expensive to produce. If you need guidance, I am here.

Hey Seagiant
    One of the presses I gifted to a friend, looks better now than when it was new. Mine, not so much.Attachment 147698 You will appreciate the photo and understand exactly what went into the spread. The short powder hopper came to be, when changing calibers found a weak link in the attachment. That is for 9mm and Bullseye. Plenty of reservoir. After thirty five years, I guess it's time to stop calling it my "new press". I don't love Dillon but I love my RL 300.

Roy

Boolit Master
    Hi Roy,
    Nice story,like I said before the 300 is robust and was actually a "mistake" by Mike Dillon.

As it was made to well and did not have enough profit margin in it!

That's why he went to the totally cast frame with the 450!!! (and beyond)

I just picked up another orphan today for a fair price.

Not complete,(don't find to many that are now a days) has a Dillon auto PM instead of the original manual.

The good news is some parts do work from the 450/550 loaders.

I now have four so instead of keeping toolheads I just set a 300 up and leave it for one caliber!

Another project,but I love reworking these!

Here's a pic from the seller!

4 down and 796 to go!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Roy is one of my Friends that I was Talking about, He has cranked out a bizillon rounds on that press. I have watched him use it and he is a pro on it when he has had he daily dose of medication.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    I have watched him use it and he is a pro on it when he has had he daily dose of medication.
    Hi,
    Yep! That always helps!

You guys are in Debary? I used to live in Deland and run through Debary now and then in the old days!

Here's some pics of the one I'm rebuilding now.

Someone had drilled a hole in it to attach something, I know not what.

As you can see got it back to square one but have to make a primer housing.

Was lucky that Alvarez Kelly had a like new shell plate platform!

Parts are scarce!

Boolit Master
    Seagiant, nice work as always! 796 to go!!!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Yep, I live in DeBary, Roy is up in Pomona Park, he just moved up there a few months ago from Samsula. We shoot Lawn steel together at Volusia County Gun Club. He's taught me a lot about bullettearing. If you are ever coming this way give a shout out and come shoot with us.
    Just PM me and I'll send #.
    Pee Wee

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee View Post
    Yep, I live in DeBary, Roy is up in Pomona Park, he just moved up there a few months ago from Samsula. We shoot Lawn steel together at Volusia County Gun Club. He's taught me a lot about bullettearing. If you are ever coming this way give a shout out and come shoot with us.
    Just PM me and I'll send #.
    Pee Wee

Hi,
    Thanks Pee Wee!!!

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    It's sort of funny to me that there are close to 800 RL-300's out there somewhere but only a few people here on this forum that have one?

Can't help but wonder where they are all at, and why you don't see them for sale that much?

Could it be that people are holding on to them???

I don't know?

The first one I saw in person was at a gun show, and I wanted it, but refused to pay the price the owner wanted for it!

Boolit Buddy
    Seagiant - My first 650 sat in an open sided barn for about 10 years in Texas. I'd imagine that there is a good percentage of 300's in barns/attics/etc. that have been forgotten. Probably quite a few have been taken to the scrap yard too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast