WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: adjustable rest vs bags

Boolit Master

adjustable rest vs bags

I have a pile of sighting in and load development to do in the near future and have been thinking about my rest setup, which is currently a fairly cheap shooting bag set with a v-style front bag. I fully understand that getting to be and staying a good shooter requires realistic practice, not strapping the gun into a machine and pulling the trigger with a hydraulic remote. I'm looking to eliminate variables and make my trips to the range as efficient as possible.

I'm not opposed to a recoil reducing rest, like a lead sled or MTM Shoulder-gard, for the heavier kicking loads and muzzleloader and do not plan to rely on it to sight in and practice, just for load development. I know there are those who think they are the primary thing wrong with our country and will immediately turn you into a vegan sissy who writes in Michelle Obama for POTUS, but I'm after efficiency, not loose fillings.

I'd also be curious as to what you guys think of and use for elevating front rests or really good sets of bags/pads. I don't need a $500+ benchrest setup, but I'm not opposed to spending $75 on a set of bags that I'll pass on to my kids. Suggestions?
    Last edited by SeabeeMan; 08-23-2015 at 10:00 PM.

Hey if money is no object...........
    Which it is for me. It's also more stuff [set up at] to tote to the range.

Boolit Master

Not that it's no object, just want to spend it wisely.

Boolit Buddy
    The Caldwell Lead Sled Solo is in that price range (under $80), just add lead, and its a rock.

I agree about realistic practice and it's important to realize that load development and sighting in isn't practice

You want to take as much of the shooter as possible out of the equation... find a great load, then make a bunch that you practice with

Boolit Grand Master

Right now some of the better benchrest grade front rests are 800.00 to 1000.00. A good solid front rest adjustable for hieght with an adjustment wheel and pointed feet with a good front bag works well. I made my own from bar stock and flat stock. There is a thread in special projects of front rests made from scissor jacks also. A decent set up allows for a more erect position from the bench making handling recoil much easier since your more upright. A top of the line state of the art rest is nice but not nessesary normally. Usd is a good option also. If your a member of a shooting club look and see what the others are using ask questions and look around

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    I agree about realistic practice and it's important to realize that load development and sighting in isn't practice

You want to take as much of the shooter as possible out of the equation... find a great load, then make a bunch that you practice with
    My thoughts exactly. I was just looking at the lead sled solo. It's very simple and a great value from everything I've read. I don't want all the bells and whistles of the higher priced ones.

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    The Caldwell Rock front rest is what I use.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Banned
    I try to keep the amount of gear I wag around to a minimum. So with that as my rule, a bag is a simple addition that can fill many different needs (I like things that can serve more than one role).
    However, country gent is right on the money with his comment about an upright position helping to reduce felt recoil from the bench. I also think the modified scissor jack front rest is one of the coolest things since sliced bread. I intend to make one when I have some spare time, which may be three weeks after I die, but it's on the list.
    I also agree that one doesn't need to spend huge sums of cash for something that holds the front of the rifle off the bench. If you're shooting some type of benchrest competition a high dollar front rest might make a difference but I seriously doubt it's that important most of the time.

Banned
    i use a caldwell lead sled plus, bulls bag(got to get a new one, 20+ years old) and a homemade stock thing and pistol bag(for my encore).

not a good picture!!!
    these three i use for load testing.
    but for deer/black bear hunting i use either a bogg tripod or a primos trigger activated bipod(i had a stroke, so i am limited to one hand).

after i test out a load, i begin shooting it with either bipod or tripod. i can shoot cast boolits out to 150 yards and jacket bullets out to 300 yards. usually its 50 yards that the game comes into, but i can go futher.

Boolit Master

+1 for the Caldwell Lead Sled, I weigh it down with two lead bags and its rock steady. I sight in all my scopes and do load development with it. For practice I use a bag, shooting stick and off hand, along with using trees and branches to steady my rifles to better simulate all the manners of shooting I may use while hunting.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rich_kildow View Post
    I have a pile of sighting in and load development to do in the near future and have been thinking about my rest setup, which is currently a fairly cheap shooting bag set with a v-style front bag. I fully understand that getting to be and staying a good shooter requires realistic practice, not strapping the gun into a machine and pulling the trigger with a hydraulic remote. I'm looking to eliminate variables and make my trips to the range as efficient as possible.

I'm not opposed to a recoil reducing rest, like a lead sled or MTM Shoulder-gard, for the heavier kicking loads and muzzleloader and do not plan to rely on it to sight in and practice, just for load development. I know there are those who think they are the primary thing wrong with our country and will immediately turn you into a vegan sissy who writes in Michelle Obama for POTUS, but I'm after efficiency, not loose fillings.

I'd also be curious as to what you guys think of and use for elevating front rests or really good sets of bags/pads. I don't need a $500+ benchrest setup, but I'm not opposed to spending $75 on a set of bags that I'll pass on to my kids. Suggestions?
    If something happens to this one, I'll get another one that is
    IDENTICAL to this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish that I'd done this years ago.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ack-Front-Rest

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    If something happens to this one, I'll get another one that is
    IDENTICAL to this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish that I'd done this years ago.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ack-Front-Rest
    thats a real nice scissor rest!!! that ought to great for my tc encore!!!

Boolit Grand Master

QUOTE=oneokie;3353756]The Caldwell Rock front rest is what I use.[/QUOTE]

+1.....me too!

Larry Gibson

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I use one of the Bald Eagle set ups but it's not the Cadillac version. For big recoil I use a cheater bag behind the gun. The bench and seat you shoot from also make a big difference. A truly solid bench is best and being tall it's difficult for me to find benches where I sit straight up instead of bent way over. Being upright makes recoil easier to deal with. I tend to "hold" the gun and cheek it as opposed to free recoil unless it's a quest for the record book.....smiles. With double rifles being upright is very important as well as having your hand under the for end and not resting on the bags.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought this at Dick's years ago. It was on clearance and I paid something like $30.

It's really steady. But the bags leave a lot to be desired. I haven't got around to making new ones. It's adjustment is limited for height. For $30 I can't complain. It's light enough I can carry it and the range bag at the same time.