Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: loads for sw 500 and tips

Boolit Mold

loads for sw 500 and tips

I just got sw 500 and dies to reload and thought it might be helpful to get some tips for my reloading

Boolit Master

I don't have any tips, as reloading for the 500 is the same as about any other caliber. I try to use Carbide dies and sometimes will lube the case with Imperial Wax - makes the going great!

As far as dies - I prefer Redding, as I can remove the expander plug, I don't think you can do that with some, such as the Hornady.

I remove the plug and polish it down so nothing touches the case except for the very top portion that will put the bell on your case for easier bullet seating. I feel I get maximum case tension doing that. Depending upon the bullet, the case at times might look like a snake swallowing a mouse, but it will function just fine. I use a normal crimp for everything except the over the top loads, which will get a heavy crimp. I've never notice bullet movement in the case due to recoil doing this.

Boolit Buddy
    i load my 500 SW with cast lead bullets at 50-70 velocities....saves wear and tear on my shoulder and makes the rifle a plain hoot to shoot.....JimP.

Boolit Buddy

Google search John Ross's articles on the 500, good stuff and I believe he's a member. I personally have used rifle powder like 4198 and 5744; the recoil is substantially less (also recommended by Ross for recoil intolerant shooters,) and it's almost impossible at over load. I have been loading a 510gr bullet of my design with 4198 but now i'm without a 500S&W.
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Buddy
    for whatever you may get from my experience here goes, have been loading for it from day one. actually had everything i needed before gun was delivered in '03. for midrange thru max type loadings H4227 is hard to beat for accuracy and consistent results. Most any bullet will be accurate. Ross' loadings have some merit although am not enamore with the super slow powders. if you want mild there is but one REAL choice- TrailBoss, fill the case to bottom of bullet and any 3rd grader can control it

Banned

Use a .501" boolit. 296 still the best but do not download below starting loads. My 440 gr PB shoots great from a friends X frame but I don't have his loads. He has the plain-Jane one, like a big 29 and it is punishing. I can't say it is worse then my .500 JRH though, it is still heavier then my BFR.
    I have no idea what light loads do from the S&W and twist. I have no need for the BEAST.

Boolit Master

As far as WW296 or H110 being the best - don't know about that, as that powder is really "snappy" compared to the rest - even VV N110 doesn't give the wrist snap that WW296/H110 does. That powder does provide good velocity but then so does VV N110.

IMR4227 won't give you top velocity but it will give you good accuracy with a whole lot less recoil - 28.0 grains with a 440 grain cast slug has done well for me.

If you want a real soft load, yet fairly accurate you might try 15.0 grains of HS-6 with a 440 grain cast bullet - velocity will be around 928 fps.

I know most use rifle primers - I use large pistol primers, the WLP's to be exact and they perform very well and the velocity difference between the rifle & pistol primers averages about 25fps greater for the rifle primer - on some loads the difference is nil. I don't recommend using the CCI350's as those large pistol primers are really hot and for what ever reason your groups will probably open up - now using the rifle primers, the groups stay the same - go figure??. John Linebaugh recommends the WLP's for his 500's including the Max version which is a bit larger than the S&W but his pressures are much lower as well. He advised that the CCI350's showed as much as 10K psi higher peak chamber pressure than the WLP's in his cartridges. I just haven't had any luck with the 350's, your mileage may vary.

One other thing - AA1680 is a great powder for the 50's - however, do not load under AA's published minimums, as if you do, you'll likely experience a squib load and if you double plug, you may not hear that primer pop and you will be in for nasty experience if you drop the hammer on the next round. I damn near done that but I noticed just a whisper of smoke coming from the cylinder gap and checked - I've had a mishap or two over the years but that one would have been nasty and if I could have purchased a lotto ticket that day, I would have.

Banned

I use Fed 155's in the big ones.