RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Gunsmithing Training Programs

Boolit Buddy

Gunsmithing Training Programs

Not sure if this is the correct forum but it's the only one I see regarding gunsmithing.

For you gunsmith's out there...where did you go to learn the trade? Are there any online programs that you would recommend? I just started looking into Ashworth and Penn Foster. (they seem to be the same curriculum and have similar costs)

What would the gunsmith's out there recommend for someone who enjoys working on his own and his family's firearms now but would really like to make a career out of it?

In Remembrance

The best way is to find an old 'smith that will take you on as an apprentice. I was lucky and found one. Good luck.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

I attended the Colorado School of Trades---but that was about 33 years ago. As far as I know they're still in business. But you need to temporarily move to the area and attend 5 days a week for longer than a year. Their strong point is that it's a hands-on school where you work on guns under the supervision of instructors, with a basics (pseudo), stockmaking, welding, machine shop, and design and function departments. A high percentage of their graduates actually become gunsmiths or find employment with firearms manufacturers. As for correspondence courses, there's no one looking over your shoulder to offer instruction at just the right moment, or anyone to really examine your projects and offer suggestions for improvement. I hesitate to call such courses a waste of time because I'm sure some benefit is to be derived from them, some instruction being better than none at all. Then, there are also the Jr. Colleges, like Lassen in Calif., where they teach different specialized courses each semester. Once again, it's a plus to live in the area; but it will take a long, long time taking 2 or 3 classes a semester to learn everything that you can learn in about 18 months at a place like C.S.T. or, as suggested by aspangler (above) working with an experienced gunsmith on a daily basis. It is also true than now days gunsmiths tend to specialize in an area, such as building 1911-type pistols or AR-15 rifles; so if something like that is your goal rather than a generalized gunsmithing education, then taking specialized courses may be your best bet. But, I think a correspondence course would be my last choice. Best wishes with whatever you decide to do.

First thing before I give my two bits on the subject, I'll take calls from anybody and will gladly talk to anyone about guns and gunsmithing, you are welcome to call or email me. I also take on apprentices, it's an unpaid position that you get out as much or as little as you want, I'll give you as much time as you give me and I won't hold anything back, there are no trade secrets in my shop. BTW this goes for anybody, if I can help you give me a call and I'll do what I can, gun making is a dying trade and if I don't freely give of my knowledge like it was given to me, then it will be lost for future generations.

Okay on to my two bits worth;
    Gunsmith means many different things in this country, it can mean anything from a basic gun mechanic, someone who mostly sells factory rifles but does cleaning, trigger jobs and scope mounts etc. to the full blown Master GunMaker who literally builds every piece from scratch in his own shop. The Master class also encompasses a lot of trades in and of itself such as being an engineer, designer, blacksmith, whitesmith, stock maker, metallurgist, engraver, chemist, tool maker, machinist, and that's just to list a few. To my way of thinking to be a true Master you have to be at least proficient and maybe even a Journeyman at most of those other trades.

On to my own story, I apprenticed under a Master Gunsmiths(Steve Zihn) for two years and since that time I've talked to Steve on at least a weekly basis and until just a few years ago when he started running out of answers to my questions, it was an ongoing learning experience. These days it's rare that he can answer my questions anymore because I am pretty much in my own territory with the niche I specialize in(Pre-1898 Big Bores, especially the 2 Bores). So a two year apprenticeship working a fulltime day job and then spending every evening working with Steve. I then worked fulltime in the oil fields of Wyoming and part time as a custom gunmaker(mostly sporting rifles on Mauser actions, I had an FFL back then) for 4 years. Let me tell you up front it required a fulltime job to pay the bills because those first years were pretty thin on paying gun work.

I inherited my Family Farm in Kansas 10 years ago, so we moved from Wyoming and at that time I decided to build a new shop and go into Gun Making fulltime, this wasn't an easy or cheap thing to do, I have well over $200,000 in my shop(building and tooling) this is something that anybody going into gunsmithing has to consider is the investment in building and tooling. If you lease a building in a good location or if you buy or build it's all a cost that has to be considered. Thankfully I was able to pay for it all out of pocket and I don't have to make any payments to the bankers. Even at that I still wouldn't have been able to make it as a fulltime gunmaker if it hadn't been for my wife and Steve and a few lucky breaks. My wife agreed to go back to work so that our monthly bills would get paid while I was trying to establish my market(it helps to have a steady income while you burn through money on the other end trying to build a business). Steve also helped establish customers for me, he was getting old enough then that he didn't want to build anymore big bore rifles and agreed to start passing those customers my way, that helps a bunch to have someone as respected as he is telling people that you can handle what they want built. Then of course I had the good fortune of several of my rifles being published in respected magazines and reviewed by well known gun writers. The first 2 Bore muzzleloader was featured in Muzzleblast Magazine and the first 2 Bore Cartridge rifle was Reviewed by Craig Boddington and he gave me 3 pages of his Gun Notes in Guns and Ammo(May 2011). These are the kinds of promotion that are worth more than gold when it comes to advertising because I could never afford to buy 3 pages in Guns and Ammo. So it takes a good 8-10 years to really get established in the industry and you better have a marketable niche that doesn't have a ton of competition in it, you also need an exceptional business model because the feast and famine will ruin you otherwise.

Onto the daily life of a Custom Gunmaker;
    I get up at around 5:30-6am everyday, I spend an hour or more sorting through emails and keeping up on my Website, Blog and Forum(I don't have these websites for fun they are an integral part of my Business Model). It's also why I do documented builds and share them on so many forums like this one, it's both a way to pass on knowledge and a part of my Business Model...it's good advertising(how many other Professional shops document their builds as well as I do?). By the way having a public email address means dealing with all the spam and garbage as well as the customers and suppliers that you want to talk to(average of 100 emails a day). So you can add IT and Web Development to the list of things you need to know to run a gun business. Once I get through all the web stuff then I usually deal with the tedious paper work stuff, ordering parts and materials, dealing with suppliers, don't forget banking and the gov't ****(thankfully I don't have an FFL anymore, I only work on pre-1898 stuff). When it comes to gov't depending on where you live and what kind of gunsmithing you do it can mean Federal(IRS, BATFE, ITAR, State departement, Dept. of Commerce, Social Security and more abc soup), State(Licensing, State Firearms, Treasury, Work Comp, Unemployemnt, et. al.), County(Tax, Commision, Licensing, Zoning, Business Licensing, et. al) and then City(Tax, Zoning, Licensing, et. al.)...trust me when I say that even running a lemonade stand these days lets more gov't into your life than you really want, just imagine how much more when it's guns.

So I get all the paper trail out of the way for the day and I finally get out to my shop at 7:30 - 8:30 depending and I am greeted by our 3 dogs, none of whom actually protect the shop they are just there for the companionship and directing the livestock on the farm around once in a while, mostly they just eat food, play and sleep, and try to steal my attention away from my work. So with the chores done, I can get to work, maybe as early as 8am but usually closer to 9. I then work until noon when I take lunch. Ohh yeah don't forget I'm also the secretary and have to answer the phone when it rings and I'm also the sales department and tech department at my business so I usually put my customers on speaker phone and try to keep working, that doesn't work though if it's the lathe, mill or any other loud machinery I am currently working on, so then I am talking to a potential/actual customer at the trade off of getting actual paying work done.

At around noonish I try to remember to stop and eat, but it's not like a real break, I usually check my email and websites while I eat so I am still working, some days though I get caught up in what I am doing and don't stop at all. After lunch around 1ish I go back to work and try to work through until 8pm when I stop for dinner. That's 10 hours at my bench actually working on guns. Then I eat dinner and check emails and websites again. Then I usually go back out close up the shop and put the dogs up for the night. Then I go in the house and go down in the basement to my drafting table and small work area and either work on drawing up the next gun or working on engraving drawings or doing more paper work. I usually get to bed around 12:30 or so. I do this routine 5-6 days a week(usually 6).

Some more realities of running a business(any business);
    Insurance, IT'S EXPENSIVE and you need lots of it...Liability and Medical for the customer who might slip on your property and decide to sue you. Then you need some Insurance for your own protection like in case of a Fire or Tornado that decides to destroy your building, equipment and inventory. And don't forget about the Liability Insurance as a Gunmaker because it will never be the customers fault the gun blew up, he or his family if he dies will immediately go after you so several million dollars of Liability just for that it's going to cost you a bit. Ohh and just as an after thought you might want to look at maybe taking care of yourself, if you've never priced personal medical insurance and disability insurance that will be a nice eye opener for you. Trust me it may not seem like you need it and it is expensive but 5 years ago when I got blood clots in my leg and was down for several months the Medical and Disability kept me from going bankrupt, well that and very understanding customers who were willing to wait while I got better. BTW in some states you will be required to pay into Unemployment and Work Comp for yourself but just try filing a claim on yourself and see how far that gets you, I have never heard or talked to anyone who actually got approved as the owner of the business. There is no paid vacation time, every minute you are away from the bench you aren't making money. There is no sick time and no comp days.

Another expense you really need to keep in mind is the Lawyer you are going to need, and you need one that is actually fluent in gun law not just business law. And you will want to pay them what they are worth and then hope you never have to use them for anything more than filing some LLC's, Trusts and Wills and designing your Customer Contracts for you because they really get expensive if they are actually defending you against plaintiffs from what I here(never had that experience... yet). Treat your Lawyer like a condom, it's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

You also need to be very good with budgeting your finances because paydays don't come at regular intervals, you have to stretch the checks between finishing the next project.

By now you are asking why would anybody want to work that many hours with that many potential headaches...well I love what I do and it's not a hobby turned business it's a true passion for firearms, if you love what you do you will never do a real days work in your life regardless of how hard it is. I spent a lot of years working in industrial construction and in the oil fields as a Journeyman Pipefitter and Certified Combination Welder, yes I made a lot of money but I was also gone from home a lot(the last year I worked in Industrial construction I was home 27 days in 12 months), so I will gladly work harder for less money to keep my business going that allows me to be 60 feet from my back door and allows me to see my wife everyday. I missed so much of my kids growing up and now they are grown and gone so I can't get that back...I wish I would have been doing anything at home when they were growing up instead of chasing a job.

As I said I will freely help anybody who wants to learn gunsmithing, but I won't sugar coat the realities of what it means to be self employed or be a Custom Gunmaker. Give me a call or email me and I will answer anything I can.

I know that was long winded but I hope it helps you. You are welcome to call me if you want to talk about guns, gunsmithing, etc... I'll even call you back and put it on my phone since I have free long distance if need be.

Colin

P.S. I tell everyone who asks about being a gunsmith the same thing Steve told me, Do you know how to be a millionaire gunsmith? Start with two million and work at it year after year after year...

Don't take any of this as a discouragement, I wish you the best of success.
    Last edited by StolzerandSons; 08-22-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

I think a moustache and bandana is essential. Good luck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img030.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	134.6 KB 
ID:	147184

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StolzerandSons View Post
    First thing before I give my two bits on the subject, I'll take calls from anybody and will gladly talk to anyone about guns and gunsmithing, if your nephew wants to talk to me he is welcome to call or email me. I also take on apprentices, it's an unpaid position that you get out as much or as little as you want, I'll give you as much time as you give me and I won't hold anything back, there are no trade secrets in my shop. BTW this goes for anybody, if I can help you give me a call and I'll do what I can, gun making is a dying trade and if I don't freely give of my knowledge like it was given to me, then it will be lost for future generations.

Okay on to my two bits worth;
    Gunsmith means many different things in this country, it can mean anything from a basic gun mechanic, someone who mostly sells factory rifles but does cleaning, trigger jobs and scope mounts etc. to the full blown Master GunMaker who literally builds every piece from scratch in his own shop. The Master class also encompasses a lot of trades in and of itself such as being an engineer, designer, blacksmith, whitesmith, stock maker, metallurgist, engraver, chemist, tool maker, machinist, and that's just to list a few. To my way of thinking to be a true Master you have to be at least proficient and maybe even a Journeyman at most of those other trades.

On to my own story, I apprenticed under a Master Gunsmiths(Steve Zihn) for two years and since that time I've talked to Steve on at least a weekly basis and until just a few years ago when he started running out of answers to my questions, it was an ongoing learning experience. These days it's rare that he can answer my questions anymore because I am pretty much in my own territory with the niche I specialize in(Pre-1898 Big Bores, especially the 2 Bores). So a two year apprenticeship working a fulltime day job and then spending every evening working with Steve. I then worked fulltime in the oil fields of Wyoming and part time as a custom gunmaker(mostly sporting rifles on Mauser actions, I had an FFL back then) for 4 years. Let me tell you up front it required a fulltime job to pay the bills because those first years were pretty thin on paying gun work.

I inherited my Family Farm in Kansas 10 years ago, so we moved from Wyoming and at that time I decided to build a new shop and go into Gun Making fulltime, this wasn't an easy or cheap thing to do, I have well over $200,000 in my shop(building and tooling) this is something that anybody going into gunsmithing has to consider is the investment in building and tooling. If you lease a building in a good location or if you buy or build it's all a cost that has to be considered. Thankfully I was able to pay for it all out of pocket and I don't have to make any payments to the bankers. Even at that I still wouldn't have been able to make it as a fulltime gunmaker if it hadn't been for my wife and Steve and a few lucky breaks. My wife agreed to go back to work so that our monthly bills would get paid while I was trying to establish my market(it helps to have a steady income while you burn through money on the other end trying to build a business). Steve also helped establish customers for me, he was getting old enough then that he didn't want to build anymore big bore rifles and agreed to start passing those customers my way, that helps a bunch to have someone as respected as he is telling people that you can handle what they want built. Then of course I had the good fortune of several of my rifles being published in respected magazines and reviewed by well known gun writers. The first 2 Bore muzzleloader was featured in Muzzleblast Magazine and the first 2 Bore Cartridge rifle was Reviewed by Craig Boddington and he gave me 3 pages of his Gun Notes in Guns and Ammo(May 2011). These are the kinds of promotion that are worth more than gold when it comes to advertising because I could never afford to buy 3 pages in Guns and Ammo. So it takes a good 8-10 years to really get established in the industry and you better have a marketable niche that doesn't have a ton of competition in it, you also need an exceptional business model because the feast and famine will ruin you otherwise.

Onto the daily life of a Custom Gunmaker;
    I get up at around 5:30-6am everyday, I spend an hour or more sorting through emails and keeping up on my Website, Blog and Forum(I don't have these websites for fun they are an integral part of my Business Model). It's also why I do documented builds and share them on so many forums like this one, it's both a way to pass on knowledge and a part of my Business Model...it's good advertising(how many other Professional shops document their builds as well as I do?). By the way having a public email address means dealing with all the spam and garbage as well as the customers and suppliers that you want to talk to(average of 100 emails a day). So you can add IT and Web Development to the list of things you need to know to run a gun business. Once I get through all the web stuff then I usually deal with the tedious paper work stuff, ordering parts and materials, dealing with suppliers, don't forget banking and the gov't ****(thankfully I don't have an FFL anymore, I only work on pre-1898 stuff). When it comes to gov't depending on where you live and what kind of gunsmithing you do it can mean Federal(IRS, BATFE, ITAR, State departement, Dept. of Commerce, Social Security and more abc soup), State(Licensing, State Firearms, Treasury, Work Comp, Unemployemnt, et. al.), County(Tax, Commision, Licensing, Zoning, Business Licensing, et. al) and then City(Tax, Zoning, Licensing, et. al.)...trust me when I say that even running a lemonade stand these days lets more gov't into your life than you really want, just imagine how much more when it's guns.

So I get all the paper trail out of the way for the day and I finally get out to my shop at 7:30 - 8:30 depending and I am greeted by our 3 dogs, none of whom actually protect the shop they are just there for the companionship and directing the livestock on the farm around once in a while, mostly they just eat food, play and sleep, and try to steal my attention away from my work. So with the chores done, I can get to work, maybe as early as 8am but usually closer to 9. I then work until noon when I take lunch. Ohh yeah don't forget I'm also the secretary and have to answer the phone when it rings and I'm also the sales department and tech department at my business so I usually put my customers on speaker phone and try to keep working, that doesn't work though if it's the lathe, mill or any other loud machinery I am currently working on, so then I am talking to a potential/actual customer at the trade off of getting actual paying work done.

At around noonish I try to remember to stop and eat, but it's not like a real break, I usually check my email and websites while I eat so I am still working, some days though I get caught up in what I am doing and don't stop at all. After lunch around 1ish I go back to work and try to work through until 8pm when I stop for dinner. That's 10 hours at my bench actually working on guns. Then I eat dinner and check emails and websites again. Then I usually go back out close up the shop and put the dogs up for the night. Then I go in the house and go down in the basement to my drafting table and small work area and either work on drawing up the next gun or working on engraving drawings or doing more paper work. I usually get to bed around 12:30 or so. I do this routine 5-6 days a week(usually 6).

Some more realities of running a business(any business);
    Insurance, IT'S EXPENSIVE and you need lots of it...Liability and Medical for the customer who might slip on your property and decide to sue you. Then you need some Insurance for your own protection like in case of a Fire or Tornado that decides to destroy your building, equipment and inventory. And don't forget about the Liability Insurance as a Gunmaker because it will never be the customers fault the gun blew up, he or his family if he dies will immediately go after you so several million dollars of Liability just for that it's going to cost you a bit. Ohh and just as an after thought you might want to look at maybe taking care of yourself, if you've never priced personal medical insurance and disability insurance that will be a nice eye opener for you. Trust me it may not seem like you need it and it is expensive but 5 years ago when I got blood clots in my leg and was down for several months the Medical and Disability kept me from going bankrupt, well that and very understanding customers who were willing to wait while I got better. BTW in some states you will be required to pay into Unemployment and Work Comp for yourself but just try filing a claim on yourself and see how far that gets you, I have never heard or talked to anyone who actually got approved as the owner of the business. There is no paid vacation time, every minute you are away from the bench you aren't making money. There is no sick time and no comp days.

Another expense you really need to keep in mind is the Lawyer you are going to need, and you need one that is actually fluent in gun law not just business law. And you will want to pay them what they are worth and then hope you never have to use them for anything more than filing some LLC's, Trusts and Wills and designing your Customer Contracts for you because they really get expensive if they are actually defending you against plaintiffs from what I here(never had that experience... yet). Treat your Lawyer like a condom, it's better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have one.

You also need to be very good with budgeting your finances because paydays don't come at regular intervals, you have to stretch the checks between finishing the next project.

By now you are asking why would anybody want to work that many hours with that many potential headaches...well I love what I do and it's not a hobby turned business it's a true passion for firearms, if you love what you do you will never do a real days work in your life regardless of how hard it is. I spent a lot of years working in industrial construction and in the oil fields as a Journeyman Pipefitter and Certified Combination Welder, yes I made a lot of money but I was also gone from home a lot(the last year I worked in Industrial construction I was home 27 days in 12 months), so I will gladly work harder for less money to keep my business going that allows me to be 60 feet from my back door and allows me to see my wife everyday. I missed so much of my kids growing up and now they are grown and gone so I can't get that back...I wish I would have been doing anything at home when they were growing up instead of chasing a job.

As I said I will freely help anybody who wants to learn gunsmithing, but I won't sugar coat the realities of what it means to be self employed or be a Custom Gunmaker. Give me a call or email me and I will answer anything I can.

I know that was long winded but I hope it helps you. You are welcome to call me if he wants to talk about guns, gunsmithing, etc... I'll even call you back and put it on my phone since I have free long distance if need be.

Colin

P.S. I tell everyone who asks about being a gunsmith the same thing Steve told me, Do you know how to be a millionaire gunsmith? Start with two million and work at it year after year after year...

Don't take any of this as a discouragement, I wish you the best of success.
    Boy, if I were a little closer, i'd be all over your offer like no tomorrow! I'm a contractor for Bombardier/Learjet in Wichita so unfortunately i'm kinda tied down to the area for now.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus

Great write up Colin with a sensible approach and a very generous offer. Thanks for taking the time.

Ron

Boolit Master
    Colorado sounds pretty good, and always has done, but I hear of shorter and easier courses which probably just teach you how to do specific jobs. What is a lot more difficult to learn is a feel for tools and what they can do, that enables you to tackle, or decline to tackle, jobs you have never encountered, or maybe even nobody has. You can enjoy yourself and accomplish useful projects of your own with little or no training, and a few books. You can do friends a lot of favours. Those things are about my limit. But you can't build a real reputation, which gets you a good living, by frequently turning down work which isn't on your repertoire.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm not a pro - just a country boy home gunsmith, but I've avidly pursued it with my own and friends' guns since I was about 13 or so. I CAN, however, tell you this. Most of the best 'smiths I've ever known were all graduates of PO Ackley's gunsmithing school. Ackley taught them the principles of gunsmithing, and let them decide how to apply them. That, I think, was a very big plus. For instance, one very good friend of mine who now lives in SC told me that PO always said it didn't matter HOW you go about removing material from a stock blank or piece of steel, as long as the part FIT and looked right, and was built to last. It's principles like this that unleash the real artist's mind, and lets him create his own methods of doing things. Once one understands the principles of levers, cams, etc., guns are really pretty easy and basic machines - MUCH simpler than engines. Fine fitting is the key with them, and learning how to achieve that is the object of all that schooling. It's my understanding that some of the schools now teach particular techniques, rather than the general principles, and that, I think, is less than an optimum approach. I don't know any recent graduates of Ackley's schools, so can't comment on that, but someone here will likely be able to speak to that.

I've heard some stories about ol' PO that weren't exactly complimentary, but the rascal sure did turn out some awesome 'smiths, which is what you're paying for.

Also, I've found in life that if you really WANT something, it's FAR better to commit to it early on, and adapt to whatever it takes to GET the knowledge and education you need to do it. Half measures just never seem to satisfy, and 20 years down the line is a very bad time to realize that. It's a lot like the old adage about being an artist - and gunsmiths really ARE "artists" in every sense of the term - "If you WANT to be an artist, it'll be the most trouble and trial filled life you can choose. If, on the other hand, you HAVE to be an artist, it's the only pursuit you'll ever find in life that'll bring you real satisfaction." There's an awful lot of wisdom in that. I'm a living example of it! I should have gone to gunsmithing school early on, but .... just tried to find an "easier" way out. I had an awful lot of fun, but I'd have been MUCH better off doing what I really WANTED to do. Just the view from the swamps, FWIW?

I took a number of summer classes at Trinidad Jr College in CO started by P O Ackley. I had worked as a machinist and had basic machine operations but then was able to focus on areas of interest. a number of summer classes over several years gave me the hands on experience in a somewhat painless and interesting environment. I believe that the NRA has additional schools that also provide this training in PA and AZ as well that should be investigated.

I forgot to mention that mustaches and bandannas are optional and not required.
    Last edited by JMax; 08-26-2015 at 08:12 AM.