RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: It pays to smelt range lead

It pays to smelt range lead

I don't want people to get discouraged when they read posts about how hard it is to smelt range lead/old bullets/berm pickings. That's all I've shot/used since 1990, free range lead. It works for 99% of all my shooting needs and as a side bonus it pays me to use it. Every year I'll smelt around 300# of cleaned (450# unprocessed) bullets and end up with copper jackets. I'll take those copper jackets along with junk range brass to any of the local scrap yards and cash it in for $$$$.

This year the price was down on copper and brass.

[IMG][/IMG]

So I bought some lead with it, a 165# of it for $.35 a #. This is what $58 bought.

[IMG][/IMG]

The bucket has smelted clip on ww's and stick on ww's, there's 61/2# of solder & the long 10# ingots (3 of them) aren't marked. They don't bend, they break. I wanted some pure/soft lead to mix with some of the batches of range lead (100# at a time). Sometimes the the batches of range scrap come out too hard for my needs. What I don't use of the pure/soft lead will end up being sold to the bp shooters at a local club.

It's a little more work to process range lead compared to ww's but it also pays $$$$ for the copper.

Just a different way of looking at if it's worth it or not. I'll spend 1 day (around 6 hours) smelting down 450# of range scrap and turning it into 300# of processed ingots. And end up with a little $$$$ for my troubles along with enough lead for the year.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good photos, ...........you make some VERY good points with your post.
    Thanks,

Ben

Nice write up Forrest r. I've been thinking about getting into mining for a while now. Never thought about the copper. Got a couple of old country ranges I'm going to hit next week. Thanks for the tip.

Boolit Grand Master

I used to use range scrap and to me it was not much more trouble than wheelweights, especially now that you have to sort wheelweights for zinc and steel. Bullseye was a big thing back then and the majority of my melt would be cast 38's and 45's, with some FMJ's mixed in. Talk about a great alloy! I could just pick up a coffee can everytime I shot. I miss those days!

Shhhh,this is what i do at my range too,so far i seem to be the only one.I collect enough range scrap to shoot all season long with only a modest investment in time picking it off the ground.
    ​Je suis Charlie

Boolit Buddy
    Wow. Those are good prices. Around here the best inhale gotten for jackets was $1.10 a pound. Still totally worth it plus it's fun!

Boolit Master
    I inquired at a local range about farming the berms. I was told I would have to get a permit to handle the lead from the EPA. Then I would have to have the correct hazmat clothing and respirators as well as file a report with some bureau in Sacramento. Then prove where the lead was to be used or disposed of. You gotta love kalifornia!!

Typically I'll pick-up lead between sets on the pistol range. It doesn't take long to get a pile of bullets to smelt. With the free ww's becoming harder to find, I just figured I'd put it out there that this is an excellent source for free lead and little $$$$ for doing it.