Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Paper patching the 30/30

Paper patching the 30/30

I would like to try paper patched boolits in my Marlin 30/30. Is there a commercial boolit that would work as the base? I could probably cast my own, but I want to try it before I buy a mold.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Greetings, Scattershot!

I don't often see commercially cast rifle boolits in .30 cal. Some commercial casters will have some for .45-70 and the like, and I'm sure other calibers are out there, but it's been some years since I saw any .30's on the table and they were conventionally lubed anyway. There are a number of designs which lend themselves to use in the .30-30, both bare lubed and PP'd. Three come to mind right off; 311466, 311291 and 311041. One of my favorites is 311466, a 150gr Loverin design with lube grooves and driving bands all the way up. Lubed and gas checked or paper patched, they are easy to do well. Ask around. I'm sure there are folks who would be willing to send you some to try. Have you patched boolits before, or is this a new thing for you?

Commercial cast bullets are probably way too hard for the purpose. I am sure someone on the forum would help you out with some suitable castings. I use a 31141 bullet sized to .303 and patched with sketch paper to .312+-. gas check seems to make no difference so I generally omit it. Reloader 15 propellant drives the 170 grain slug very nicely.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Thanks! I,have patched for my 45/70s, and have boolits fom Montana Bullet Works for the purpose, but I was wondering if there was something similar out there in .30 caliber. Looks like sizing common boolits may be the way to go.

Boolit Master
    Commercial Flat Point .301 cast available for patching? Wouldn't know. I guess you would have to ask those commercial casters one by one the same question.

.301 is large, I had a custom sizer made for .280. That gives me a full two turns on 16lb paper.
    Using 20:1 lead, and my standard Ranch Dog mould.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Thanks, Fred. I suppose with a little tinkering I could use a 7mm boolit, then? It's nominally .284.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to use what molds I had when I started using paper jackets.

Here, the Lee 309-170-F cast in pure-as-I-can-get soft Lead. As a long bore-ride nose boolit, it seems an unlikely candidate, but..

1. Size to 308 (with the gas-check crimped-on at this stage)

2. Patch with plain tracing paper damped with 7-up, double-wrap. Dry. Razor-blade the tail off around the gas-check groove.

3. Lube patch with Matthew's Lube

4. Size again, thru 308 push-thru sizer

5. Final rub with graphite powder soaked chammy leather.

6. Small amount of factory crimp to take in the case flare (the lube and graphite stops tearing).

Here's how they look chambered and ejected (microgroove barrel). They do shoot very well to the limit of the 30-30, I have done 1.5 inches at 100 with my 1974 '336, which is okay for me as my eyes are poor now.

35 grains BLC-2

Expansion everything you'd expect from soft lead. Leading zero. Cleanest bore ever. Every time. Nice mess of well-shredded paper 6 feet from the muzzle.

Boolit Master
    Snider Boomer,

Great job! The rifling engrave marks on the PP will give good alignment BEFORE the PPCB starts moving and give good accuracy. Likewise the slight crimp, to remove case neck flare, will prevent the neck from randomly pushing the PPCB laterally and will keep the PPCB concentric with the rifle bore. That also improves accuracy.

How sweet it is when everything comes together !

Best regards,

CJR

Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Thanks, Fred. I suppose with a little tinkering I could use a 7mm boolit, then? It's nominally .284.
    No, Lead Fred made a 30 caliber push through sizer from a 280 Remington sizing die and a chop saw, IIRC. Cool idea Fred! He's documented the process with a photos and a thread, that of course I can't find at the moment.

Chime in if I mis-stated anything,
    Last edited by UBER7MM; 08-21-2015 at 06:25 PM.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.