Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: thoughts on lube

Boolit Bub

thoughts on lube

Curious what others experiences have been with different lube, or even no lube?

Here's my limited experience: first time trying PP was a few years ago in a 45 colt rifle. Used tracing paper wrapped wet, once dry gave a tumble or two in Alox, loaded and went shooting. Some shot OK, not great though, and most didn't shoot well at all. Seemed a lot of work when cast boolits with no magic injected shot great.

Fast forward to recently... Been using green bar printer paper applied wet then once dry I put on some paste wax with my fingers, size then let dry before loading. Like any j-word or cast most shot OK and some shoot great, but there haven't been any "horrible" loads other than maybe one or two(same powder ironically).

Reread some lube info using the search here as well as Google. Seems there's one thing in common for the successful loads, and that's nothing. Read some guys who don't lube at all, and a whole lot of variation of different lubes that work for different folks.

Came across more than one using Alox so I got to thinking. I hate how gummy and sticky Alox is and a while ago made up a batch of 45-45-10 alox paste wax and mineral spirits. This isn't gummy and for tumble lubing, I like it. Last week I tumbled some unsized PP boolits and let dry overnight. Sized them, ruined 2 by pulling the paper half off, and was able to load the rest. Two of same loads comparing just paste wax and the 45-45-10. Using 357 max and my 185gr book it, first load is 25gr h4198 - 5 shot group with paste wax and 3 shot with 45-45-10. Second group I decided to discount as I found my forearm was falling off the gun. If it did count its comparing a 1.5" 5-shot group to a 12" 3-shot group, but I'm blaming the forearm on that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ess1439809697777.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	146894

Perm-Banned
    no lube