RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who makes good hiking shoes?

Boolit Master

Who makes good hiking shoes?

I want to buy a good pair of hiking shoes and I'm tired of the garbage at DSW that falls apart in less then a season. What brands do you recommend? Where can I find them?

Thanks!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Lowa boots at REI.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using Merrells with good results. Rotate a few pairs during the week, and a pair of non-cold-weather hikers.

They fit well for me and have lasted several years per pair.

If you want to bleed once and never buy another pair, look at Zamberlans.

Boolit Man
    For hiking, have a pair of Zamberlans.

Less than a multi day hike, I just keep my work Whites Hunters. Both will last a long time.

Boolit Buddy

Asics.
    INFIDEL

Another vote for Merrells, the wife and I have been wearing and abusing them for years now and they do seem to last well-very comfortable and supportive too.

Boolit Master

Lowa look good but a bit for less Columbia has served me well also the Merrill

Boolit Master
    I've had pretty good luck with Teva and with Keen. I have a wide foot and high instep so always buy a full size bigger than suggested. Plus, I usually swap out the included insole after a couple of months for a better after-market pair.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Merrells !! Now they run 1/2 small for most. For hiking Cost 50.00 and up.

For heavy brushing / hunting Irishsetter Gunflint 1000 gm. waterproof. 120.00- 150.00

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy (punchie) View Post
    Merrells !! Now they run 1/2 small for most. For hiking Cost 50.00 and up.

For heavy brushing / hunting Irishsetter Gunflint 1000 gm. waterproof. 120.00- 150.00
    I like my merrels, they're durable and comfortable. They breathe well and have good ankle support. Save your money on the waterproof variants, they aren't. Slightly water resistant is a better description. My feet would get wet walking across a dew coated grass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Grand Master

Guess I'm the only one that thinks Merrells are junk. I wear hiking boots all day long at work and they take a beating. Tried two different Merrell designs and neither lasted a month. Seams split and they were never water proof.

I've been buying Vasque as of late. Unfortunately North Face stopped making the boot I wore for close to ten years. Vasque boots are actually water proof. And they hold up well.

Honestly I don't expect any of these boots to last more than six months. At that point I've usually worn the soles almost bare. Made it eight months w/ the last pair of Vasque Talus. I have a narrow foot so finding a pair of boots that fit properly is a real issue.

Boolit Buddy
    I just got back from a "hike" at the philmont scout ranch in the mountains of new mexico. We put on 80 miles from 6000 to 12000 feet elevation in 11 days with 55 lb packs on our backs. I wore merrels, and by day 6 my feet looked like hamburger. A few other guys had minor blisters, but I was in tough shape. I went through several packs of mole skin and tape to literally keep my feet in one piece. I was swapping about five different pairs of liner socks, wool, and/or synthetic, including combinations of socks to try to mitigate the issues, but no combination, thick or thin, many or few seemed to help.

I had worn these for several months, including training hikes and had never had a problem.

This was a tough hike, but I was throughly dissapointed in the boots. And no, they are not even close to waterproof as advertised. The picture below shows my feet in a river trying to clean and cool them. I would take the bandages off at night before bed, and reapply each am. This doesn't even show the four blisters I had on my heals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1439813264616.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

Ouch 10sandxs! I never had the chance to make it out to Philmont but always wanted to.

Im not really sure what a hiking shoe is. I've always worn boots. My wife and ex wife enjoyed Merrells but I always wore boots. I've used Danner with good results as well as Red Wing and am eyeing a set of Under Armour boots at Cabelas. I had a pair of Keen boots but didn't get to test them before they were ruined (not the boots fault) I'll likely get a pair when they go on sale this spring.

I've always liked Vasque, used to be part of Red Wing boots. Back in the late 80's I was an assistant manager of a sporting goods store. We could get everything at cost. So I tried alot of different boots. Lowa's are great. But, for me the Vasque fit my foot better, and held up to about six years of abuse, I still have them over 15 years later. I wear them acasionaly for yardwork. They never came apart, they have no tread and the GoreTex does not work.
    Start CASTING or get off the POT!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a pair of Irish setters , uplands I think ,they are strictly hunting boots and my +30 degree morning boots . I've been happy with them chasing Texas hogs and Nevada Elk ,Chucker ,Mulies,quail and rabbits. They are lined which helps a lot with staying dry in water proof boots . My only regret is not spending the other $10 on the US pair.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Danner is pricey but worth it. Buy once cry once; if you shop the website you can get some great deals on blemished items, slightly off color etc.
    Last edited by zarrinvz24; 08-17-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have two pair of Vasque one set was purchased for a Mountain Goat hunt in B.C in 1978. Heavy hikers, they are still usable. They used to make great boots...my second pair get more use, are light hikers and only about 10 yrs old. I don't wear them every day, but when I do they get a workout. I would buy them again.

Marrels last for me but no way are they waterproof.

Love Life
    Are you looking at hiking shoes specifically, or boots as well? What kind of hiking are you doing? Maintained trail? Off trail? Mountains? Wetlands?

Boolit Buddy
    I've been wearing a pair of Merrells for a bit over a year now, holding up ok, I don't wear them for hard backpacking, I do wear them almost daily, for yard work, light hikes, and range wear, have knocked a chunk or two out of the soles, expected seam failures, so far none. I don't buy waterproof shoes, there's no point if 4/5" of water or tall wet grass will soak your socks anyway, best to not impede the moisture's departure. For serious backpacking, or pack hunting I wear a real boot.