MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Des Moines, Iowa?

Anyone familiar with Des Moines, Iowa?

It appears that I may be going there next month for some training. Not quite a days drive from home and I have never been there...quad cities is as far into Iowa as I have been. Looking for extra stuff to do....Gunshops, Mom n Pop stores, tool resale stores, general places to see and/or eat? Yes, I can always google it, but it is not the same as a local persons opinion. FYI...I'm not a big drinker and strip clubs are out as I have a mighty fine Mrs. waarp8nt at home.
    Boolits Feedback <> Gunbroker Feedback

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Bluegrass...the speed metal of country music!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    State museum is nice, Living History Farms, if they are still open after Labor Day.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Iowa......a good place to be from! Born & raised there. But shoveling sunshine in AZ is sure a lot easier!

Enjoy your visit. Google is your friend.

banger

It's been 45 years since I graduated from Drake and Des Moines has grown since then. The State Capital was always a good visit. Like Banger I left the Midwest 40 years ago.
    Enjoy
    PJ
    NRA Benefactor Member

It's the home of "The Thunderbolt Kid", Bill Bryson! Just read that book.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    The best pork tenderloin sandwiches in town:

Smitty’s Tenderloin Shop
    1401 Army Post Road
    HOURS: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday through Saturday; closed Sunday

Boolit Master
    Late in September, there will be a gunshow at the state fair grounds in DSM. Nothing great, but something to do. There is another up in Cedar Rapids as well, but that's bit of a drive from DSM.

You could bring a squirrel rifle and do some hunting on public grounds. The season opens at the beginning of the month.

Early Saturday mornings at the farmers market downtown is enjoyable. Good food to be had, some nice dogs about.

There are worse places than DSM to be stuck for a while, but not many.

Boolit Buddy
    There is Brownells, about an hour east. Looks like the retail store is not far from opening up.
    In the mean time they do have local pickup in Grinnell. The wife is up here on a job, looks like I will have to stock up on primers and powder.
    America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Buddy
    Brownell's showroom was not open last time I was by and they are not saying when it will be. As far as gun shops, nothing really special to write home about. The state historical museum is good if you are into that sort of thing, lot of civil was stuff. Living history farms is unique but may not be to a Midwesterner. I live about 60 miles southeast of Des Moines, if you are looking to do a bit of shooting, BS or cast boolits.
    Tony

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I could swing by Brownell's showroom on the way up without too much trouble. Thinking I will add a trip to the State Museum and Smitty's Tenderloin Shop while in Des Moines.

Tony a BS session may be in order.

Gentlemen...again thanks for the replies and feel free to suggest more!

Just remember son, many times free advise is worth what you pay for it. ~ My Dad

Boolit Master

Only ever met one person from Des Moines and he left there prior to 1910. Said it was a wonderful place but not enough work.
    'course it may have changed in the last 115 years......
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Iowa......a good place to be from! Born & raised there. But shoveling sunshine in AZ is sure a lot easier!

banger
    Hey Jim, I was born and raised about 30 miles north of Des Moines. ISU is my alma mater!

Boolit Grand Master

I was there in 1988 and 1989 for the PPC nationals. Went to the Iowa Steakhouse with the Dallas team, those guys know where to eat away from home! Probably one of the best steaks I've ever had, if I pass that way again I'll see if they're still around.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

FYI update to members who may be going to this area. I was somewhat excited to about going to Brownells...however, I just got off the phone with a representative...she stated the Brownells showroom just off of I-80 that was supposed to open the Spring 2015 is currently not open. The date for the showroom has been pushed back to the Spring of 2016, currently they are allowing for individual orders to be picked up in person at the I-80 facility.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

banger
    Amen brother! I grew up on a dairy about an hour west of Des Moines and snow wasn't the only thing I was knee deep in with a shovel. Hey I wonder if Fred Garvin is still working the quad cities...

Boolit Master
    Oh gee, where to start....

If you are going through the Quad Cities (Davenport, Moline, etc.) the John Browning museum at Rock Island Arsenal is a must see.. On the way there, Simpson, Ltd in Galesburg IL would be fun.

On the Iowa side, the Antique Archeology shop in LeClaire is interesting if you watch American Pickers. We ate at a dynamite restaurant there that overlooked the Mississippi River. The Buffalo Bill museum is right there too. There are a few gunships near I-80. A Google search will help there. As you near Des Moines, there is a Bass Pro that you will pass. Lots of new guns, but no used.

Most of the old time gun stores have dried up in the Des Moines area. JLM on the west side is the notable exception. There is a Scheels store in West Des Moines, Sportsmans Warehouse and Fleet Farm in Ankeny. I think most reloading supplies and ammo are sold at these three stores.

For chow, Iowa Beef Steakhouse has already been mentioned. If you like BBQ, there are several Jethro's restaurants around town. My favorite is Smokey Ds. Woodys Smoke Shack is popular too.

Jethro's was good. We (classmate and I) hit Sportsmans Warehouse, Fleet Farm and Bass Pro. I liked Sportsmans...prices were very agreeable.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up on the John Browning Museum. My family and I done a tour of the National Parks out West and stopped by the John Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. Depending on when class ends tomorrow I may have to the Rock Island version on the way home.

Thanks for your help!

Boolit Buddy
    I just got back from Shell Rock, what a good group of people.

Banned

Don't forget the Confederate cemetery when you go to the Rock Island Arsenal. Make sure you do not have any weapons in the car. It is an Army base and can be searched. While in Moline, go over to the John Deer Museum. Neat if you are into farming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waarp8nt View Post
    Jethro's was good. We (classmate and I) hit Sportsmans Warehouse, Fleet Farm and Bass Pro. I liked Sportsmans...prices were very agreeable.

Ken, Thanks for the heads up on the John Browning Museum. My family and I done a tour of the National Parks out West and stopped by the John Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. Depending on when class ends tomorrow I may have to the Rock Island version on the way home.

Thanks for your help!
    Sportsmans gets a lot of my business. There are various discount coupons about that really help. I bought some IMR 8208 XBR a while back. About $25 a pound OTD after coupon.

I trust you you had a good trip overall.