Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lee offers two types of mold handles?

Boolit Master

Lee offers two types of mold handles?

I own no Lee mold handles except one that accompanied my single set of mold blocks for the 220-grain .456-inch round nose bullet for Ruger Old Army revolvers. From reading threads on the forum, I find that Lee offers two different types of mold handles. Does the "Professional" handle just have longer mold block grasping tongs than their one- and two-cavity standard handle, or are the tongs or entire handle design themselves different?

If grasping tongs are different, what are the differences?

How or why are these differences important, especially were one- and two-cavity RCBS, Lyman, Redding, LBT, etc. mold blocks used exclusively rather than multiple cavity gang molds?

Other than being less expensive than higher priced "name brand" handles, how efficiently do the Professional handle function compared with more expensive ones?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Buddy
    Most Lee 1 and 2 cavity moulds come with handles already on them. It's the 6 cavity moulds that use the handles you are asking about. I use both types of Lee moulds. I also use Lyman and RCBS moulds.

Boolit Buddy
    As far as I know the long Lee handle won't work with moulds other than Lee. There are handles that will work with both Lyman and RCBS.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps this link will help you answer your questions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hange-Use-list

Boolit Master
    Lee makes 2 kinds of everything, one that works and one that doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Lee makes 2 kinds of everything, one that works and one that doesn't.
    I think that is true of most things we buy.

The Lee mold handles that are for the Lee 6 cavity molds will also fit NOE molds, M-P molds, Accurate Molds and RCBS molds. They will also work with Saeco molds if you drill out the mounting holes on the handles. I've never had a Lyman mold, so don't know about them.

Boolit Master
    I traded for a Lyman mold that fits my one set of my RCBS handles just fine. That was a shock!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Perma-Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mt chambers View Post
    lee makes 2 kinds of everything, one that works and one that doesn't.
    bingo!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    The Lee mold handles that are for the Lee 6 cavity molds will also fit NOE molds, M-P molds, Accurate Molds and RCBS molds. They will also work with Saeco molds if you drill out the mounting holes on the handles. I've never had a Lyman mold, so don't know about them.
    I tried a set of Lee Large/6cav handles on my Lyman .577 Minie mold, it had to be modified a little bit but they can be made to work fine. I can't say with other Lyman molds though.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

The grasping tongs are thicker on the 6 cavity lee handles as compared to the 1 and 2 cavity integral handles. As pointed out, the 6 cavity lee handles fit many different molds and can be made to fit more with modification. Since they are less than $15, it isn't so bad grinding on them or drilling another set of holes. For example, 5 minutes on a grinder and I had a perfect set of handles for a 4 cavity H&G mold, which is hard to beat.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

In Remembrance

Seems like a lot of the boolet mold makers make their molds to fit their styled handles. The fact that a few will fit on each other tells me that they actually talked to each other!Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    The grasping tongs are thicker on the 6 cavity lee handles as compared to the 1 and 2 cavity integral handles. As pointed out, the 6 cavity lee handles fit many different molds and can be made to fit more with modification. Since they are less than $15, it isn't so bad grinding on them or drilling another set of holes. For example, 5 minutes on a grinder and I had a perfect set of handles for a 4 cavity H&G mold, which is hard to beat.
    Thank you.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

I converted ( Modified ) a Lee 6 cavity handle to fit a Lyman 2 cavity mold. It took over an hour with a 6 inch belt sander and a carbide tipped drill.

Those babies are HARD!
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

I have bought 6 sets of Lee 6-cavity mould block handles and each one has been mounted, with no modifications what so ever, to 6 different Lyman blocks....all 6 blocks are double cavity, 38, 41 and 45 caliber, handgun boolit moulds. All are older moulds from 70's and 80's . One mould was I don't know how old, it was marked "Ideal" . I haven't tried any single cavity pistol or any rifle moulds. Possibly the newer moulds need modification but the older ones don't.

But , double cavity Lyman Handgun blocks will attach to Lee 6-cavity handles with no modifications...at least they did for me.
    Go over to the Moulds, Maintenance and Design thread, look at the third sticky down. There is an Lee six-cavity handle fits mould chart that's very useful. I read and printed it before I ordered any Lee handles for my Lyman blocks...no sense buying them if they wouldn't fit....they did and I like them better than Lyman handles.
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 08-17-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Lee 6 banger handles will fit any brand of mold on the market. Where there is a will, there is a way. I would NEVER pay $40 for RCBS handles.........EVER!

A few passes with the vertical mill and the handles fit perfectly.

banger

Boolit Master

All of my 6 cavity handles fit all my NOE, MiHec and even an old Ideal mold I have. I've used them with RCBS and Lyman as well with no real issues.