Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a load for .45 Colt please

Boolit Buddy

Suggest a load for .45 Colt please

I have a NM Redhawk convertible .45 Colt / .45 ACP revolver. 5.5" barrel. The throats on both cylinders have been fixed (thank you again, DougGuy).

In the .45 Colt, I've been running 17gr of 2400 under a 262gr Lyman 454424 SWC, but I've developed a nasty flinch with it, so it seem a bit too hot for me. The flinch seems to be unique with this gun, as I don't flinch on even my hot .357s out of my LCR (and they are on the border of "OMG what was in that thing! hurtin hot").

It's a wee bit stouter than I care for, so I'm looking for a bit milder load.

I've read Linebaugh's article on the .45 Colt (http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm), but many of his loads seem to be rather stout. He mentions his 5'1" 100# wife using basically this same bullet at 900 fps to kill antelope and mule deer, but doesn't mention at that point in the article the specific load she used. However, at the end of the article he lists his personal favorite loads that he's settled on, and the first one, 8gr of WW231 under a 260gr cast bullet is probably the one she used.

I've never used WW231, but if that load kicks less than the 17gr of 2400, I'd be happy to consider it. I've seen some references to people using Unique as well.

What are some of your favorite loads for 750-900 fps with a 255-260gr cast boolit for a .45 Colt?

My first question is always, why do you need a load this stout? If you are not getting ready to kill something quite large, there is no purpose to do so.

For generations the factory load in the 45 Colt as 6.2 grains of Bulleye, maybe 6.5 in some loads. There are plenty stout for anything up to and including large deer. I load 6.2 in my old 1921 Colt New Service and 6.5 in my newer single action Rugers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    My first question is always, why do you need a load this stout? If you are not getting ready to kill something quite large, there is no purpose to do so.

For generations the factory load in the 45 Colt as 6.2 grains of Bulleye, maybe 6.5 in some loads. There are plenty stout for anything up to and including large deer. I load 6.2 in my old 1921 Colt New Service and 6.5 in my newer single action Rugers.
    +1 on what CharGar said.

With current production Alliant Bullseye 6.5 grains with a Saeco #955 is a good approximation of the factory load, 880 fps from a 4-5/8" barrel with 0.005" cylinder gap.

This charge should not be exceeded in older guns such as the Colt New Service, and Char-Gars 6.2 is more prudent in older smokeless Colts if you want them to last.

For lighter recoil for cowboy action shooting you can drop down to 5 grains of Bullseye and obtain about 700 fps with a 255-260-grain bullet. I do not recommend reducing further in .45 Colt brass.

If lighter recoil is important to you, a charge of 4.5 grains of Bullseye with the 230-grain Saeco #954 bullet gives 730 fps in .45 Schofield brass.

In .45 Colt brass you can safely go as far as 7.2 grains of Bullseye with a 255-260-grain bullet in your Ruger, which gives 1000 fps from a 4-5/8" barrel, but there is no really good reason to do so.

Something about 1000 rounds for a pound of powder has a nice "ring" to it!
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-15-2015 at 05:04 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    I use 7 gr of Bullseye under a Lee 452-255-RF in my 7/1/2" Vaquero and the same load in my 24" Rossi.

I have never chronoe'd them but from the way they ring and swing the steel I have to believe they will take out anything I may run across. The recoil issue is neglible with these loads, my Vaquero is one of the older large frames.

I also load 6 gr of Bullseye for a fun plinker.

Vendor Sponsor

8.0gr Unique is a nice mellow load. 8.5gr Herco is nice too.

If you want to load that same boolit in ACP brass, or use some of that Cowboy brass, you can use .45 ACP load data with it. I put up some 453423 in .45 ACP seated 1.200" over 6.0gr Unique, haven't shot it yet but I think it quite tame.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you all for your quick responses.

Char-Gar - I don't need one that stout. That is where I started, based on the research I did, and it's stouter than I realized it would be. I don't remember now how I found it, whether I was just looking for 2400 loads for the .45 Colt, or .45 Colt loads in general. I suspect I may have been focusing on just the one powder, since I had a bunch of it.

I have a couple of pounds of Unique, and maybe half a pound of Bullseye. I'll need to keep my eye out for more Bullseye, but in the meantime I should be able to load up enough using each to see what my gun likes.

And yes, getting more loads to the pound of powder is a very nice thing.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    DougGuy gave you good info on the 8 grains of Unique, that also approximates standard pressure factory stuff. Six grains in Schofield brass is like 5 of Bullseye. Would not go below 6 Unique in .45 Colt brass, but 5 is fine for a light load in Schofield brass or Cowboy Special.

Six grains of Unique in the 0.89" length Cowboy Special brass is a full charge load, approximating .45 ACP, hotter than factory Auto Rimmed.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-15-2015 at 08:34 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    8.0gr Unique is a nice mellow load.
    That has been my got to fun load since 1971

Boolit Buddy
    7 grns. of Bullseye behind a 200grn SWC or a. 255 grn RF is one of my favorites.

Boolit Master

Another fine loads is 6-6.2 grains of Red Dot with a 250 ish grain boolit.
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Banned

I use 8,5 grs of unique in my convertible with a 250.
    and 6 under a 230 in the acp cases.
    they shoot fairly close to each other.

Another vote for the 6.5grs BE and the 454424. Just so happens to be most accurate in my NM 4 5/8".

Boolit Master
    Hi...

I have used 8 gr of Unique with a 255gr LSWC bullet for a few decades with excellent results in a couple of full-size Vaqueros, a BlackHawk and a S&W 25.

I have also shot it in my SBH in .45Colt and while accurate, I think I can move to a more powerful load in that revolver. I intend to do more testing as time goes on as other projects get finished...so much to do, so little time.

Boolit Master
    I've ran 5.0 grn of H-Clays under a Miha H&G 68 for about 700-750fps. Plenty accurate and my 9 year old (at the time) nephew shot them out of my Bisley, no problem.
    The only problem (for me) is they'll hit WAY below your normal sight setting for 454424's at 900fps or more.

Boolit Grand Master

231 is a nice low mid range powder and you should find that load very manageable. I love using TrailBoss under a NOE 454255 as a nice plinker load in my Marlin CB. There is no need to go full throttle everywhere you go. I shoot many times more mellow loadings than all out full throttle loads......But when I do I use 296.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    That has been my got to fun load since 1971
    I have loaded 9.0 gr Unique under a RCBS 45-255-SWC in a S&W 25-5 6" for years with outstanding results. That is about max for that gun but should be mild to medium in your Redhawk.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-16-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    USMC 6638

Moderator Emeritus

The Dan Walker load of 6.5 Red Dot does great work in the blackhawk.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Char-gar's load of 6.2 grains of Bullseye is as time tested as you'll find, as is the use of 8.0 to 8.5 grains of Unique. Both have been endorsed by shooters going back before I was born-pre-1953. I have had good results with 6.5 grain of WW-231 and 6.0 grains of Red Dot. One of my shooting buddies swears by HS-6, and he shoots a lot more 45 Colt than I do.

If you have your heart set on 2400, try 15.0-15.5 grains of 2400.

You'll find a list of loads as long as your arm ranging from mild to wild, so I am sure you can find something to please.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master

Shot one of my Colt clones today after a Wolff spring swap. Loaded up a few rounds for the occasion, it was my go-to fun load for the 45 Colt; 2.5 cc (about 37grs) of KIK FFFg under a 255gr boolit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Why not buy the books and follow the published load data???????????

I have 5 books and there loads galore for all things 45 ca!!!!

Spend a little......shoot a lot.

bangerjim