RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linebaugh's .45 colt loads

Boolit Master
    Oh come on, everyone knows Rugers are built like tanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	146921

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    "Oh come on, everyone knows Rugers are built like tanks."

Are you inferring that a Linebaugh load blew up that handgun? Do you know the load used?
    What is it you are trying to say?

I still think your better off with a 454 if you have to lean this hard on a 45 Colt. Unless you have a heavy duty custom 5 shot 45 Colt. IIRC the 454 wasn't around when Linebaugh was doing this load development? IMO Mid level Ruger only loadings are plenty good for me especially after dragging a few deer. I kinda think Mr. Linebaugh used his heavy loads as a aid or step to help sell his custom 45 Colts; which are really nice.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    Does anyone have any factual proof that any of Linebaughs loads have blown up any Ruger large frame revolver?
    Not the he said she said stuff. None of the "I feel" stuff either.
    Actual factual proof.
    Too much speculation on here on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowseven View Post
    How do you all feel about his 4227 load?
    I have shot capacity loads of 4227 under the 454424 bullet in my circa 1974 3 screw 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk.
    As I recall, velocity was right around 1400 f.p.s. and the cases practically fell from the chamber.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master

The loads that Linebaugh lists are right around 30,000psi, well below what is required to part out a large frame Blackhawk...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Not much payoff for as much risk as 12.2gr Unique puts on the Ruger. 1041fps is ehh almost rather dismal in comparison to results gained from using LilGun, H110, and 2400, which his load of 13.8gr 2400 is afaik under the recommended starting weight of 15.0gr for this boolit. Unless he is seated pretty far down in the case.

People -do- go 10gr and beyond in this caliber in the full size Ruger, you sure as hades won't catch me doing it or advising anyone else to do it. Have you ever touched one off with a heavy boolit and 10gr Unique? It's scary! It is very noticeably sharp in your hands. You know you are close to the edge, you can feel it!
    My load notes show that I once tried 10 grains behind a 342 grain heavy weight. I do remember recoil being rather sharp. Accuracy sucked!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    Oh come on, everyone knows Rugers are built like tanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruger.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	146921

Kevin
    I posted this because no matter how strong someone makes an object, someone else will figure a way to destroy it. This is a photo I found on the internet a few years ago. The revolver was chambered for the 44 Magnum cartridge. While it has nothing to do with Linebaugh, it does show what can be done if you err.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    "posted this because no matter how strong someone makes an object, someone else will figure a way to destroy it. This is a photo I found on the internet a few years ago. The revolver was chambered for the 44 Magnum cartridge. While it has nothing to do with Linebaugh, it does show what can be done if you err."

Right you are. But select placement of said photo inferred that these loads may cause/did cause the said grenading of said handgun in said photo.
    My question still stands, does anyone know of any factual proof that any of Linebaughs loads have blown any quality handgun of proper size? No he said she said, no hand me down verbage by some internet whiz ect.

According to Linebaugh, White Laboratory tested the 45 Colt Rugers and the didn't come apart until they reached 60,000 cup. Then you factor in that the major powder companies data goes to 30,000 psi. So yeah, I feel pretty comfortable using Linebaugh's loads in my Ruger.

Boolit Master

I posted this because no matter how strong someone makes an object, someone else will figure a way to destroy it. This is a photo I found on the internet a few years ago. The revolver was chambered for the 44 Magnum cartridge. While it has nothing to do with Linebaugh, it does show what can be done if you err.

Kevin
    So someone overloaded a 44 magnum and destroyed their handgun so we shouldn't load 30,000psi loads in a similar gun that can handle 40,000psi in the cartridge that was obviously overloaded??? I'm confused now.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like his H110 loads, BUT you will want a better set of grips to shoot them! (At least that's the route I went). I, too found Unique at around 10gr. to be a solid performer.
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Grand Master
    I have used some of Mr.Linebaugh's loads and he has done a very good job
    with the 45 colt.My only problem with them is I could never get a gun worthy of them.
    Most of my Rugers never gave me the accuracy I need.I believe its the spec's and tolerances
    they seemed to have had.
    His loads will not only wake the gun and cartridge up but the shooter as well.
    good luck have fun.
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Kevin
    There was a .44 Magnum destroyed by a novice reloader a few years ago.
    Don't know if that was the one or not.

The load he thought he was using was 9.0 / Titegroup.
    Dissected cartridges contained 19.0 / Titegroup !!!!

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Getting back to the OP's question, you see that his Unique loads stop at the 260 grain cast and go no further for bullet weight. The start load looks like a good one for most hunting instances and will be the one I start with.

The H4227/H110/Win296 loads should be great for the heavy bullet combos, as mentioned here. Or if you need more than the Unique loads will get you.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Does anyone have any factual proof that any of Linebaughs loads have blown up any Ruger large frame revolver?
    Not the he said she said stuff. None of the "I feel" stuff either.
    Actual factual proof.
    Too much speculation on here on this.
    My "feelings" may have kept me from blowing up perfectly good guns. I don't need my Ruger to do all it can do, it can do more than I want and it will shoot thru anything I need to shoot thru. I won't ask any more of it.
    Ask John Linebaugh how many guns he's blown up. I'm a fan of his work but work like his is hard on guns. Elmer Keith blew up his share and then some but the knowledge gained was well worth it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Why ask Linebaugh how many he has blown? Do you know the answer?
    Not for one second do I believe he would publish any load that he would know as dangerous to a shooter or his guns.
    If one prefers not to load to his load lever, for what ever reason, does not mean for one moment that his loads are dangerous.
    On Keith, where have you seen in his writings that he has blown up his share and then some. In his writings I have the evidence of TWO. One was when a weak case head blew due to probably cases used too many times and that blew the loading gate off the fun and one that he said was an el cheapo that the cylinder and top strap went.
    If you have more information, as evidenced from his writings and not some he said she said or I feel this way or that info, please post it.
    I have heard of that info for so many years there must be someone with proof from his actual writings to actually back up the info.
    Show where more than two actually blew not including a 45 Colt that had the barrel split at the forcing cone. Actual blow ups that is.

For me 1000 to 1200 fps is plenty in the 45 Colt. A 250 to 300+ gr. bullet will shoot through anything on this continent. With components getting scarce and me getting older I'm not so quick to try the hottest cartridge or load out there any more.

Load what you want. Just keep it within sensible limits. so you don't blow up a gun or hurt yourself. High mid range loads don't make as much noise as the wrist snappers and fire belchers. With my hearing fading that is also a concern. Not so much at the range where I wear ear protection, but in the field hunting you can court deafness very quickly. Brodie

I have used Linebaughs loads, and continue to do so. My favorite is the 325 grain boolit over 13 grains of HS-6 with a mv approx 1100fps. No leading and very good accuracy. I prefer this load to the max load of 23 grains of H-110

Below are the results of the same boolit driven with HS-6 at 1100fps (left column) and with 23 grains of H-110 on the right column.

Sorry fellas but hot rodding a .45 Colt is about like putting ethyl in a Ford diesel tractor.
    But like Roger Miller said, you can do it if it'll make you happy and you've a mind to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast