Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linebaugh's .45 colt loads

Boolit Bub

Linebaugh's .45 colt loads

y all,

Has anyone tried the loads listed in Linebaugh's article "Dissolving the Myth"

http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

Specifically, those listed in the chart for a 260 gr cast bullet? Even more specifically those for unique and 4227?Lyman lists the max load for ruger only loads at 10.2, Mr. Linebaugh takes it up to 12!?!

Not going to lie I am thinking about touching off a few...

I've never been able to push Unique that hard with 260 grain boolits but called him about the Lyman 325 double crimp grove boolit (340 grains in my alloy) and had good luck with his recommendations.

I would imagine Linebaugh's box stock Rugers are properly throated, have nice cones and are digesting top Ruger only loads in stride. So you could be over the line with his top loads if you are not cafeful.
    Last edited by pmer; 08-14-2015 at 09:16 AM.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Vendor Sponsor

Not NO but hail NO to the 12gr of Unique in the .45 Colt. At 10gr and above Unique can be spiky and unpredictable. This much is a known fact. It's one thing to have that much Unique in a bottleneck rifle cartridge in a gun that routinely operates around the pressures that Ruger cylinders start to grenade, 60,000psi, with a boolit weighing half as much. Need I explain any further?

Not saying Linebaugh is wrong in going there, but this is one horse I won't saddle.

Some of his other loads, very doable. Some sensible limits should be observed regardless of what powder you use. The heavier the boolit, generally the slower the powder you need to achieve magnum pressures and velocities and stay on the SAFE side. Unique is too fast for magnum loads with heavy for caliber boolits. <-- THIS should be etched in STONE somewhere near the front of all the reloading manuals.

Boolits with dual crimp grooves generally allow a longer COA in the Ruger cylinders, this is usually a saving grace with magnum loads. It allows the use of more powder, with less overall pressure, for magnum velocities. Most of us here that shoot the heavies, 300+gr in .44 and .45 generally like to burn W296 or H110 for the all out top end loads. These powders should not be used for less than top end loads as they become dangerous loaded below suggested (and published) minimums. For this job, there is 2400, AA#9, LilGun and a couple others that are favored to get into the 75% ~ 90% power band of the .45 Colt.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 08-14-2015 at 03:16 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    I've shot his recommended loads of 13 gr HS-6, H110'at 24 gr both with the RCBS 270 SAA bullet in my New Vaquero. Good loads too.

Sorry for the drift but speaking of hard hitting Rugers has anyone seen these 5 shot 454 Bisley's?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=500513398

So very tempting..
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Bub
    How do you all feel about his 4227 load?

I tried some of his loads last year. I didn't have any 4227 at the time, so I can't answer your question about it. I was loading a Lee 255 gr flat nose while trying to work up a load with H110. Once I started to get close to his max load, I think I was about 2 grains below I started to get a little over 100fps deviation in my velocity. That bothered me so I stopped playing with it and tried some other powders. In the end I settled on 10.2 grains of Unique with that Lee 255 grain bullet, out of everything I tried it shot the best.

I also tried 5744, blue dot, and believe it or not Titegroup. Out of those the only one I liked was the Titegroup load, I use it in my Marlin and Rossi. I didn't care much for the other two powders.

When I get around to it I'm got to get a 270 grain or heavier mold and try again with the H110 and 4227.

Boolit Master
    His "load" is 24 gr H110. With the WLP primer and the RCBS 270 SAA bullet. Just because he has listed other powders doesn't mean that is his "using" load,

Boolit Master
    I worked up to 23.5 grains of H110 under a 255-ish grain SWC in new brass. The load is certainly powerful enough to kill anything that walks, but in a 4-5/8" plow-handle Ruger, it was more than I cared to shoot. Certainly not a plinking load, but it would be useful for hunting large animals or dispatching wounded dinosaurs.

BTW, I noticed a slight amount of carbon streaking coming out of the primer pockets on my brass with that load, so I have discontinued its use. That was using WLPs; another primer may have yielded different results.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Nicholst55, I agree. Looking back my H110 data I stopped at 23.0 grains because I was getting an ES. of 137.5 fps. The outside temp at that time was around 27 degrees so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Either way my average velocity was only 1157 fps out of my short barreled Bisley with a high velocity of only 1226 fps.
    With my Unique load I averaged 1008 fps with an Es of 26 fps. So I left it there.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Vann View Post
    Nicholst55, I agree. Looking back my H110 data I stopped at 23.0 grains because I was getting an ES. of 137.5 fps. The outside temp at that time was around 27 degrees so I'm sure that had something to do with it. Either way my average velocity was only 1157 fps out of my short barreled Bisley with a high velocity of only 1226 fps.
    With my Unique load I averaged 1008 fps with an Es of 26 fps. So I left it there.
    Do you mind sharing what you unique loads is? I have had pretty good to great grouping with 10 even. 9.2 and 9.5 being slightly scattered.

Boolit Bub
    "His "load" is 24 gr H110. With the WLP primer and the RCBS 270 SAA bullet. Just because he has listed other powders doesn't mean that is his "using" load."

This I understand... I just cant seem to get my hands on any H110 or w296 with having to pay Hazmat... and with my limited income I only buy a pound at a time.

On hand currently I have IMR 4227, Unique, 700x, and Titegroup.

I don't like to work up loads with 700x or the titegroup, as 700x is my go to powder for .45 colt plinking, and I reserve titegroup for 9mm.

- Sean O.

Banned
    I read that article then promptly loaded a bunch of rounds with the Lee 452-255 FN and 19.5 gr of 2400.

I shot it in my 7 1/2" Vaquero. It is the original model from 1993 with the larger frame.

No extraction issues and definitely a thumper.

I have since backed down to 18 gr of 2400. I keep a box of these handy for emergency use.

Yellowseven, my Unique load was 10.2 grains under a Lyman 452664 with a WLP primer and CBC case. My best group measured 0.602" center to center of the furthest holes from 5 shots, 25 yards off of a bench. I doubt I could do it again, but that group sold me on using that load for hunting. I also use a Lee 452-255RF with this load, and get identical results.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used his HS-6 loading and 296/H110 loadings quite a bit out of my Marlin 1894 CB in 45 Colt and Ruger RedHawks with good results.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used a couple of his loads with both 250 and 300 grn. XTPs. out of my 5 1/2" Blackhawk. Although the big boom and the clang of the bullet on the steel plate at 50 yds. was fun..., my hand took a beating. I'm looking forward to deer season though.

Boolit Master
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/59

Marshall Stanton of BTB's didn't seem to mind 12.2 grains of Unique behind a 280 grainer. Got good accuracy, too. To each their own. I personally didn't find useful accuracy going that high.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorfan View Post
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/59

Marshall Stanton of BTB's didn't seem to mind 12.2 grains of Unique behind a 280 grainer. Got good accuracy, too. To each their own. I personally didn't find useful accuracy going that high.
    Not much payoff for as much risk as 12.2gr Unique puts on the Ruger. 1041fps is ehh almost rather dismal in comparison to results gained from using LilGun, H110, and 2400, which his load of 13.8gr 2400 is afaik under the recommended starting weight of 15.0gr for this boolit. Unless he is seated pretty far down in the case.

People -do- go 10gr and beyond in this caliber in the full size Ruger, you sure as hades won't catch me doing it or advising anyone else to do it. Have you ever touched one off with a heavy boolit and 10gr Unique? It's scary! It is very noticeably sharp in your hands. You know you are close to the edge, you can feel it!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Bub
    I have shot plenty of 260 grainers on top of 10 grains of unique, love the performance, the first rou ds of my shoot today were this round at 25 yards off hand: I loaded a few rounds at 10.4, 10.6. 10.8, and 11. Enjoyed the shoot and certainly wont be going any higher.

Another load I enjoy is 20 grains of 4227 under the same 260 grain bullet. I shot a couple cylinders full at 24, and 24.5. Holy moly was I surprised at the recoil! Those were real thumpers, much more than even tbe 11 grains of unique.
    Last edited by Yellowseven; 08-17-2015 at 10:50 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I liked the article IIRC but I just can't take his loads too seriously. I have a warmish hunting load with a heavy boolit that is a few steps below his loads and it's all I want to handle in a little Ruger BH. I've had this gun quite awhile, would rather not blow it up. If I feel the need to abuse myself there's a Contender around here somewhere that will dish out all I want and more, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast