Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Machines

Old Machines

There has been a lot of discussion about the older loading machines lately, so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my Load a Matic press, made by the Tri Standard Manufacturing Co. back in the early 1950's. Mine is fully operational, and is set up for loading .38 Special.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Great looking Machine. Looks very involved for The set up. Once it's set it stay That way
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, very nice machine indeed. Glad you resisted the temptation to have it powered. Have you dug into the history of how the machine was developed?

I haven't delved into the developmental history of the machine. Mine was built in 1955, and was the 10th machine made, according to Randy Gillespie.

Our department had one of the early machines, and when I was on the pistol team in the late 1970's, they let us clean it up and load our match ammunition on it. I was rangemaster at the time, and I loaded all the department's .38 Spl. practice ammunition on an AmmoLoad machine (about 60,000 rounds per year).

To me, the AmmoLoad looked like a modern version of the LoadaMatic machine. Between the members on the team, we probably loaded around 100,000 rounds on the LoadaMatic machine, which we had set up in my garage at home. I wish I knew what ultimately happened to that machine, as well as the AmmoLoad?

When I had my machine refurbished by Randy Gillespie, the son of the last owner of the LoadaMatic company, he tried to get me to let him motorize it, but I deferred. There are no safeguards on the machine to tell if the primers aren't feeding, powder check, etc. The AmmoLoad had all those, and being familiar with both machines, I preferred to keep mine manual.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

There was never an owner's manual for these machines, according to Randy Gillespie. He said whenever his father sold a machine, he required the new owner to spend a minimum of 3 days with him, learning the machine and loading lots and lots of ammunition on it.

I wish there had been a manual, since several of the settings are critical to the whole operation. If one gets out of whack, everything is screwed up........

When I bought this machine, it was missing the primer slide, and the previous owner had no idea where it was. That was why I sent it to Randy for refurbishing, and $710.00 later, it runs pretty smooth, with the exception of the primer feed. I'm still working on that problem, but hope to get it worked out pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Fred,
    There was an interesting article in the 9th Edition of Handloader's Digest written by Ken Waters where he briefly discusses the Joe Dircks (Tri Standard) loader and the influence that a gentleman by the last name of Buchanan had in its design. I believe this is the same Buchanan that was involved in the development of the Star loader.

Boolit Master
    Fantastic machine!! Lets see a quick video of it in operation!!! Please!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

I was doing good to post a few pictures, let alone a video. Besides, it takes one hand to operate the machine, and I don't think I could hold the camera steady while pulling on the handle...........

Fred

beeser,

I would very much like to read Ken Waters' article in Handloader's Digest. When I get some spare time, I'll see if I can locate it.

It would be interesting if Buchanan was involved in the design of both machines, since the concept is so different between the two.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    beeser,

I would very much like to read Ken Waters' article in Handloader's Digest. When I get some spare time, I'll see if I can locate it.

It would be interesting if Buchanan was involved in the design of both machines, since the concept is so different between the two.

Fred
    My memory has played a few tricks on me. The author of the article is Ken Walters not Waters and there is one more article that I can't immediately recall that mentions the Buchanan tie with Dircks. I'll write back if it comes back to me.

Boolit Master
    That's just a good challenge Fred! It's a gorgeous machine and your pictures are very excellent!
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Boolit Grand Master

Kinda flimsy looking to me. I'd bet if you hit it with a locomotive at 80 mph, it
    might get damaged, a little.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

It's all I can do to lift it. I built the frame for it to sit on, and then had a friend help me lift it into place. Not being young anymore doesn't help, either..........

Fred

Very impressive indeed. You have obviously put a lot of effort into the restoration and mounting. Thanks for sharing with us. I think the machine is cool and your background story is equally good.
    regards,

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Nice! I want it!

That would cost a pretty penny to make today, even with CNC Technology!

The primer feed is always the boog-a-boo!

And what I had to work on the hardest when I was rebuilding and playing with the RCBS Green Machines!

The timing is SUPER critical and amazing in how just a tweek can change things for good or bad!

That is probably the closest manual loader to a Camdex I have ever seen!!!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Mike Kerr,

I did some cleaning on the machine, but the full restoration was done by Randy Gillespie. All it took from me was getting it there, and the transfer of $710.00 from my wallet to his....... My friend dropped it off and picked it back up again on a trip through Kingman, AZ, so I saved a bunch on shipping. Since it weighs so much, I would imagine the shipping alone would have been a couple hundred dollars for the round trip.

seagiant,

Beeser was kind enough to send me a link to an old article about these machines, and the inventor, Joseph Dircks. In the early 1950's, he was selling his motorized Loadamatic for $1,500.00, which was a princely sum of cash in those days. There's no mention of what the manual versions were selling for, though, but I would imagine somewhere in the $1,200 to $1,300 range. Since mine was the 10th one Mr. Dircks manufactured, and he was fitting each machine together by hand, I'm sure there were improvements made on the later machines. The one my old department had ran as smooth as can be, but I have no idea when it was actually made, but if my memory serves me right, it was exactly like the machine I have now.

I'll keep tweaking the primer feed until I either get it working properly, or I just pre-prime the cases and run them through that way, with the decapping punch removed. Mine is currently dropping 3.2 grains of Bullseye, but I want 3.4 grains, so I've got to open up the hole in the powder slide a little bit to get what I want.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    For me, in my mind, if you can't get it to load as intended (by the maker) with the primer feed working it is JUNK!

Of course this is IMO!

That may seem harsh, but if not, you can do as well (or better) with a good single stage press and a loading block!

All that to say, it would be a crime for such a nice machine to not run correctly!

Go on U tube and look at all the vids on the RCBS Green Machine and they are just running the machine wide open but look at the resizind/depriming die.

They are running pre primed brass and not using the primer bar.

Just sayin, that nixes the "progressive" in a progressive reloader!

Good luck with it! Sweet machine!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Buddy
    Fred,
    What exactly is wrong with the primer feed?

beeser,

I've tried Federal, S&B and MagTech primers through it, and they all have the same problem. It will feed several just fine, and then it will either shave a small sliver off of one and jam it up, or it will get one cocked crooked in the slide and the slide can't come forward. Sometimes I can gently wiggle the primer slide back and forth and get the primer to straighten itself out enough to free the slide. It may, or may not, deform the primer during this process. It is the proper slide for small primers, too.

The problem appears to be in the transition from the primer tube to the primer slide. I've thoroughly cleaned the primer tube, and the primer follower moves freely in the tube. The follower is there to provide pressure on the column and to let you know how many primers are left in the tube. I've taken the whole primer assembly off the machine and given it a good cleaning, but there's still some little thing that I haven't seen yet that is causing the problem.

The primer seating punch also had a small divot out of one side of the punch, which made a mark on the primers. I've had a new one made, but have yet to install it. I don't like my primers to have marks on them after seating..

I've found that a can of compressed air, like they use on computer keyboards, is handy for blowing debris out of the priming area, which helps to some degree. I've been having about 5% of the primers get jammed and ruined, and I'm trying to eliminate that problem, and it's the same with the three brands I've tried. I'll keep working on it as I have time, but projects around the house have kept me away from the machine. I've taken out over 20 trees on my property, and only a couple more days and that project will be out of the way... Then I have to finish remodeling one of the bathrooms... It never ends!

seagiant,

This isn't my only machine by any means. I do most of my loading on my Hornady LnL AP, along with a Rockchucker and two Hollywood Seniors. (and a MEC 9000gn, with electric motor) This one is for nostalgia and between my wife and I we go through anywhere between 8,000 and 10,000 .38 Spl. ammunition per year in matches. The Loadamatic will speed up that process for the .38's, once I get it running properly.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    You might want to see if you have a chamfer around the edge of the hole in the primer slide.

This is the hole in the slide that carries the primer from the tube to the seater or punch.

Just thinking what might make things smoother.

You probably have already figured this out, but some don't, and a chamfer will help the primer find the hole in the slide better!

If you do decide to chamfer it,then get some 600 grit or crocus cloth and polish it! Just thinking?
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-18-2015 at 01:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast