Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: You guys with Star sizers, riddle me this......

Boolit Mold
    We also need to discuss WW and living in the heart of Les Schwab country...................grin

Boolit Master

Matt,

This is a sketch I made up for a Star sizing die that I was thinking about having made. I wanted the hole pattern to be able to lube three different long range 40 Caliber bullets that I shoot. I used my bullet sketching software to sketch the basic outline and then edited the drawing to closely match a Star sizing die

Maybe it will help.

Tom Myers

Quote Originally Posted by triggerguard1 View Post
    If someone wants to send me a a basic drawing............napkin, whatever, I can convert it to cadd in about 5 minutes......

I've got a CNC lathe that mostly sits, so I could cut the guys here a helluva lot better deal than $20 or $40.

I'd be willing to trade my knowledge on CNC work and gunsmithing with some of you guys who are experts in the casting.

If 45nut still lives in Prineville, he knows who I am and we've talked, though it's a pretty long time ago.

Matt Williams

Boolit Master
    Just a report on how well the dies made by lathsmith have worked so far.

Took his advice and put a little speed green under the "clip" before I seated the die in my press. sized about 400 .452 boolits then pulled it and sized about 200 .430 boolits. I had asked for a single row of holes and thats what I got. Easist Star die I ever set up! So far no signs of any rubbing on the base area where the flange would usually be.

Like the results so well I asked for two more dies set up the same way!

Boolit Mold
    If that drawing is any indication as to what Star is selling for $40.00, I'm truely amazed....

I'll crunch some numbers after I talk to 45nut and run some samples. Let you guys see what you think and maybe someone on here can work out some trading with me..........

I want to learn about bullet casting and get into to it for my own personal use on 9mm, 44, 45, and perhaps some rifle rounds as well.

I figured If I can help out some of you guys, maybe I can get setup with some casting equipment of my own and get some good info along the way.

Machining I know and do everyday..........Casting I don't.

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerguard1 View Post
    We also need to discuss WW and living in the heart of Les Schwab country...................grin
    Oh that is a sore spot with me, from what I have been hearing even employees are being watched closely now and it will only get worse. Last time I asked it was 25 bucks for a 2 gallon bucket!

I am running on maypops right now and you can bet when I sell off something to afford tires the purchase will include some ww's or they can kma.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

triggerguard
    all you gotta do is ask for help with the casting.
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

[QUOTE=Buckshot;354786.
    A newlywed couple are hosting their very first Thanksgiving dinner. The husband notices that his new bride cut off about an inch off each end of the ham before putting it into the pan, and then into the oven. He asks why, and she shruges and said that's what her mom always did.

Her mom arrives and as the new husband is taking her coat, he mentions the ham cutting thing and asks about it. The brides' mother says she really doesn't know, but HER mom always did. Grandma shows up and heads off into the kitchen with the new husband following. He finally has a chance and asks her why she would cut the ends off the ham before putting it into the pan.

She seems perplexed at first but then smiles and says, "Years ago all I had was this one pan to use. It was always too small for the ham so I had to cut some off each end to get it into the pan".

.............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

You know....my mother has told the same story because it was true....

Quote Originally Posted by monadnock#5 View Post
    Howse about parting the die at the juncture of the top .750 dia. and the lube relief. Thread the flanged upper portion internally. The lower portion would have to be extended and threaded to screw into the flanged upper.

:
    Well I ain't got no degree either but I work in a tube mill and boy I would have lots of pratice stock
    I don't have a star sizer and I must admit I haven't read all these posts so call me lazy or stupid if it fits, but could you not retain the die by a plate on the bottom of the sizer with a pass thru hole in it for the boolit. I may be speaking out of turn because I don't know anything about a star but they are fassssst and look like they would make lube sizing fun.
    je
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    Another old trick comes to mind Buckshot, that is making them 2 for 1.

make two dies joined together at the flange, leave enough for cutoff between the two dies, machine them complete, then as the almost final step cut the two dies apart...

Starting from raw stock... finish turn one side.....do a batch of them...then put on the collet and machine the other end,

and still grabbing them in the same size collet cut the grease undercut on one end, flip, do the other end.......

rough blast the hole thru the ID

Start to part the two dies apart at the flange, deburr each side of the cut, then finish parting them in half.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234