RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackbox
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Ar 15 muzzle break opinions

Boolit Master

Ar 15 muzzle break opinions

I have an AR 15 that has a Diamond head T break on it, It is a little loud for me so which one would you recommend for a replacement?

Muzzle brakes are loud. Anything that directs combustion gasses back towards you is gonna be. Are you shooting a caliber that actually needs a brake? Would a good flash hider be more appropriate? I use a YHM Phantom on my 5.56. It wasn't overly expensive, and does have some minimal braking characteristics.

Boolit Master

The brake is on a custom AR 15, There is absolutely no bounce but man the noise is wow.

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

You really have to decide what aspect you want the muzzle device to do. Recoil reduction, muzzle rise, flash suppression, etc....
    Standard A2 flash hider still scores high in tests for flash suppression. Linear Comps do well at pushing noise forward. Regular comps help with muzzle rise. Full brakes are best for recoil reduction. I use brakes in 3gun for really fast follow up shots. For guns that may be used for "defense" or in the house, flash hiders and linear comps. Straight range guns, and for sake of nostalgia, I use A2 flash hider. A good mix on a device I like is the Griffin Armament Flash Comp.

I have a YHM on my KT SU16. it has the teeth on the front and it works well and it is noticeable since the gun only weighs 6 lbs loaded.

I have a Smith Enterprises Brake on my Ruger Scout it works well and again the effects are noticeable.

My Ruger Guide Gun came with their brake and that gun in .30-06 is like shooting a .223.

I like the concept of the Linier Brake but haven't gotten to try one. If they actually direct the noise forward then that's what we all need.

All of these are loud and by buds at the shoots complain continuously.

I provide ear plugs.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com