RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pistol powders throw consistanly in Dillon reloaders?

Boolit Master
    There are a lot of powders that run well in the Dillon; HP38/Win231, all Vihtavuori, Titegroup, HS6, 4756, etc. It just depends what you want to load. As for me I look for an accurate load and then the cleanest burning powder. Bullseye shoots well in a 45 ACP, but it is one dirty powder.

It's not the progressive, but the make and design of the POWDER MEASURE that matters most.

Using a Lee Auto-Disk with a disc and it's far more accurate at lower charge amount than it is when used with the adjustable charge bar.

The Auto-Disk is also far more accurate with a disc than it is with the Dillon adjustable that came with my 550. Well, that is when trying to load smaller charges of flake powders.

It's the shape of the cavity in your powder measure that matters far more than the mfg name on the measure.

Also........... powders aren't just good or bad. Most of them are quite consistent until the charge volume is reduced to an amount that can't uniformly fall into the powder measure cavity. That happens with Dillon's adjustable exactly the way it happens with the Lee Auto-Disk when it's "upgraded" with the adjustable bar, but only when the charges are light and the powder shape resists going into the corners of the bar's cavity.

It's not the make of the progressive that matters.
    It's not the make of the powder measure.
    It's the shape of the cavity in the charge bar AND the amount of the charge AND the shape of the powder.

Ramshot Competition was the only pistol powder available awhile back when I needed some target loads. I also needed some Cowboy loads sooner than the target loads. The cowboy loads were NOT mousfart loads btw.

R.Comp is a flake powder. It gave very consistent loads for the 45LCs that were to run through a couple of Ruger Vaqueros and a Marlin '94 for some cowboy shooting. The velocity that charge gave was right at the velocities shown with most start loads you'll see in load tables for most other powders. (R.Comp is new and isn't in most load tables) So it threw good at a charge that was what you'd call a normal start charge. They turned out to chronograph right at the guessed at velocity. Turned out that charge was decently consistent. The powder was a fair price.

The target load however was for a 32H&R Magnum and to get target velocities pushed the envelope there for sure. The round has never been popular with mfgs. It's not what you'd call overly popular with the public. There is precious little load data at all, much less for target loads. There also wasn't any Ramshot info for the cartridge. Not just for R.Comp in the 32H&R, but ANY DATA ON THE 32H&R for any of Ranshot's powders. At least anywhere I could find it, like in their tables on their website!

To make a LONG story shorter, what should be a safe start charge was figured up. The volume of it was figured out so a Lee disc could be used. Those round holes are the most accurate measure cavities available. While searching and figuring, the smallest cavity was tried just to see how accurately that flake powder would drop consistently.

Turns out those R.Comp flakes are about as inconsistent as 700X is at those small amounts. Inaccurate ammunition isn't the problem. Squib loads is the problem. The majority of the charges thrown aren't consistent for sure. And in addition you'll get relatively frequent charges that're pretty sure to pop instead of bang. And the load was expected to give about 850-900fps. Turns out that powder won't get used with my two adjustable bars for any load that needs the adjustment closed down.

When testing showed the smallest Lee disc cavity failed to drop R.Comp safely, the test was expanded to see what hole size would throw consistent charges. It's not something I'd share with the internet....

To say it again:
    It's not the press.
    It's not the measure.
    It's the shape of the powder cavity AND the shape of the flakes DEPENDING on the charge amount.
    Last edited by Litl Red 3991; 08-10-2015 at 07:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    My 550 measures all love Bullseye, WSF and WST. Check a drop every 20 or so, always right on. Maybe .1 off very rarely. 700X drives me nuts though...off by as much as .4 at times in my .45 Colt cases. Check each drop pretty much on those.
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Master

Dragonheart
    Have you seen variances with Bullseye powder with .02 grains?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    Dragonheart
    Have you seen variances with Bullseye powder with .02 grains?
    Bullseye is capable of very accurate loads but I personally haven't used Bullseye in a number of years. Looking back I did run some tests out of a Kimber Gold Match with a 200 grain bullet. 4.6 grains of Bullseye would group under an inch at 25 yards, 4.4 the groups was opening up and at 4.2 grains the group was over three inches. Some powder bullet combinations may have a narrow or wider sweet spot. With that same bullet Red Dot, another fast powder excelled at 4.2 grains, but at 4 grains a group over three inches. However, at 4.4, 4.6 and 4.8 grains the group opened to two inches with little difference between loads.

When I test loads I typically have a .2 grain separation between loads and typically find one load that will be substantially better than the rest, but it may not be a great load.

Keep in mind that powder scales, whether balance beam or digital, are accurate to +/- .1 grain. Bullseye is a small flake powder, and meters quite well. On the Dillon powder measure be sure the powder bar goes full travel before the handle bottoms out. Cases must be flared at least .010", up to .020". Next, be sure the failsafe return rod is properly adjusted. Push the machine handle forward, and hold it there. While maintaining forward pressure on the handle, tighten the blue wing nut until the coil spring above it is partially compressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwqazYqbx5M . Finally, be sure to start with the hopper at least 2/3 full. Dump 10-15 powder charges to settle the powder under the baffle before you begin weighing.

I personally use mostly Flake powders and the only thing I've done to my Dillon measure is to disassemble it,
    clean it carefully and hose it down with anti-static spray and allow to dry before reassembly

Boolit Bub
    Vihtavuori N320 (3,5 grains for .38 Special), N340 (5 grains for 124 grains RN), N110 (21grains for .44 Mag). Very little variance, my scale only do tenths of a grain (Pact BBK II), but the Dillon Measure on my Square Deal wil stay on 5.0 when I check the weight after som 30+ rounds. Mostly experience with the N340, works very well in my 9mm. Extruded powder, short tubes. Also takes a lot of abuse, I personally know a guy who polishes his loaded rounds () in a vibratory cleaner, with no ill effects (try that with ball powder, and you will get a nasty surprice.). I strongly recommend against that practice. You can tap a grain with a hammer, and it will just flat out like a piece of soft plastic. I strongly recommend against that practice as well. Still, if your ammunition rocks around a lot in your truck or pocket, you might be a little safer with extruded powder from Finland.

Boolit Master
    *side note*

i have 8 hornady LNL powder measures BECAUSE of throws being off too much.
    and i have a vibrator on the top that comes on during each throw.

because thats the way i roll.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oih View Post
    Vihtavuori N320 (3,5 grains for .38 Special), N340 (5 grains for 124 grains RN), N110 (21grains for .44 Mag). Very little variance, my scale only do tenths of a grain (Pact BBK II), but the Dillon Measure on my Square Deal wil stay on 5.0 when I check the weight after som 30+ rounds. Mostly experience with the N340, works very well in my 9mm. Extruded powder, short tubes. Also takes a lot of abuse, I personally know a guy who polishes his loaded rounds () in a vibratory cleaner, with no ill effects (try that with ball powder, and you will get a nasty surprice.). I strongly recommend against that practice. You can tap a grain with a hammer, and it will just flat out like a piece of soft plastic. I strongly recommend against that practice as well. Still, if your ammunition rocks around a lot in your truck or pocket, you might be a little safer with extruded powder from Finland.
    All the Vihtavuori powders I have ever used and that is a lot, meter extremely well, are clean burning, give consistence results and produce some of the highest velocity loads. They are an outstanding powder line.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bullseye is one of the finest metering powders extant. If your measure will not handle it there is something wrong with the measure or your technique.

No ifs ands or buts about it.

The Lee Auto Disk will throw squib charges when large flake powders are used in the small cavities. This includes the round disk holes when below about 3.7 to 4 grains. Bullseye is a small granuled excellent metering powder that does not suffer from this problem even when the cavity gets smaller.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-14-2015 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The Lee Auto Disk will throw squib charges when large flake powders are used in the small cavities. This includes the round disk holes when below about 3.7 to 4 grains. Bullseye is a small granuled excellent metering powder that does not suffer from this problem even when the cavity gets smaller.
    Just to clarify for those who have purchased the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure update kit.... The Lee Auto (Disk) measure when equipped with the adjustable powder bar unfortunately does not create a round cavity. And most flake powders are not as trustworthy at light charges when the Auto-Disk has that "upgrade" charge bar cinched down.

The names can lead us astray...

Boolit Grand Master
    Just pointing out the fact that the small round cavities included with the Auto Disk don't work with large flake powders either. The adjustable charge bar is not the only thing prone to squibby charges when the cavities get small.

The small round cavities includied in the disk sets do it too.
    Last edited by 35remington; 08-14-2015 at 05:13 PM.

We ought to have it covered then.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well we did for sure now!

I'm happy with the pistol powders I use but I must single out Trail Boss. It is spot on in my 550! I dumped 10 then 20 dumps in the hopper, the math came out perfect!
    Must be something to do with that donut shape! I love donuts!

Boolit Bub
    I use Bullseye, HP38, 700X, 2400 and Unique with consistent throws on Dillon 550 machines. I find that keeping the powder measure at least 1/3 to 2/3 full helps with keeping the throw in a tight range.

Boolit Buddy
    As a wise man named Homer once said, "Mmmmmmm...Donuts".
    What is best in life?
    1. Crush your enemies
    2. See them driven before you
    3. Hear the lamentations of their women

Boolit Mold
    consistent operation of the press - same amount of pressure on the up and down stroke and a consistent rhythm will also contribute to getting accurate, consistent charge weights regardless of powder type. However, as mentioned many times above, ball/spherical powders do work best and can easily achieve less than 1/10th of a grain variance.
    Dave
    ----------------------------------------
    The only good thing about being imperfect is the joy it brings to others!