63 3.76%
  • 81-85

15 0.89%
  • OLDER THEN 85

7 0.42%
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Age of boolit casters

Boolit Master

Wow! It is really heartening to hear of you two 30 something's getting into casting! I started at a very early age and have never had an ammo shortage. Lay in as many primers as you can when the price comes back to normal. Lay in 8 pound jugs of powder when it goes on sale and reduced Hazmat fees. You will thank me in a few years.

Boolit Master

I posted my age long enough ago that my category has changed. I got into casting much later than the ones that
    dondiego mentioned. I think I was in my mid 50's. I'll be 79 on Sunday. I've done more shooting since the pandemic started than in the few years before. I've loaded many 100's of rounds for sons and grandsons. I haven't reached the bottom of the components barrel yet. I hope everyone has learned a lesson from both the pandemic and the recent election.
    John
    W.TN

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Wow! It is really heartening to hear of you two 30 something's getting into casting! I started at a very early age and have never had an ammo shortage. Lay in as many primers as you can when the price comes back to normal. Lay in 8 pound jugs of powder when it goes on sale and reduced Hazmat fees. You will thank me in a few years.
    I would have started sooner but I only got into the shooting sports 3 years ago. Lots of catching up to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Helka View Post
    I would have started sooner but I only got into the shooting sports 3 years ago. Lots of catching up to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still, good to get started if you want to keep shooting. Is there a shortage of components in The Great White North too?

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    Still, good to get started if you want to keep shooting. Is there a shortage of components in The Great White North too?
    There isn’t so much a shortage as a price increase on what’s available. However our prices are half what I’m reading you guys are paying. A brick of pistol primer is $60 and that’s $15 more then they should be going for. I used to buy the Federal 210m (match) for $50 but they are now $89.

I started casting a long while ago, bout 67, could be earlier, ah, was, like 63, I was casting for a muzzle loader. But I did not start casting for real accuracy until I decided to compete in matches with my cast against folks shooting jacketed bullets in 82. I figured I needed some pretty good accuracy so started studying on the how, and asking people that had been doing the deed for decades. If you listen close, most folks will tell you true, how to cast hard enough, accurate enough, powder coat, and shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 with a gun that will take rams to 500 and still shoot chickens at 500 for a shoot off. So if you want accuracy at distance, ask a long distance cast competitor about distance shooting.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy

Not sure how many times I posted to this thread but now I get to add another year. Now at 70.
    "The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."--Plato

Started on my Grandfather's knee at age 5 in 1963 with a Coleman stove as heat source. Now I am 62. Lost all my Grandfathers stuff (reloading, guns, bullets, powder etc) in a fire that destroyed his house in 1979. After roaming the western states working in the Semiconductor Industry I am now retired and gone full circle back on the same site (with a new house) doing what I learned as a kid. One rifle was saved because it was in my possession at the time of the fire, a Pre 64 Model 70 Winchester 220 Swift.
    Airgun ONLY Hunting http://www.T3PRanchAGS.com

Boolit Mold
    57 years old and started this year.

Boolit Grand Master

Started "helping" my Father too young to remember exactly. He let me try the dipper (such as it was) at age 7 or 8. Still going strong at 64.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Bub

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    I started casting late in life, was late 40'-early 50's, needed a lot of lead bullets for cowboy action shooting. Found that I enjoyed casting and loading more than the cowboy action so am still at it @ 64.

BF
    LoL! Almost verbatim my experience, although my Cowboy club folded up because of insurance costs and I'll be 78 in three weeks. I still have several hundred pounds of pure Pb and Lino', so I don't expect to quit any time soon.

Peace to ya' Mr. Ford.

86 yo REDNECK Grinding boolit cherries, redneck boolit mold, redneck one stroke gas check tool,, redneck swage tool, redneck push through sizing dies, .360,.359,.358,.357, .3565 sizes. All because of the shortage. I hear some of you guys/gals complaining about some insignificant thing wrong with something you purchased and it leads me to think about all the little/big mistakes that I have made to finally get something usable in DIY projects. LOL

The poll is six years old so unless we can all change our votes, the information is invalid.

turning 56 in 5 days

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I was very surprised to see that the most peaked at age 65 and then became decreased. I would expect more people would be casting after retirement age then that.

Boolit Grand Master
    If this poll were to start today, I would have to move two clicks towards the top.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I started casting bullets when I was 13. Now days I'm 70. Just cast-up 200 6.5 150 grain round nose bullets yesterday.

When this thread started, I was 6 years younger.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Buddy
    70 now and been casting since I was 20.

Boolit Buddy

Halfway to 134 at present.

Casting since halfway to 34.

Noah

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast