65 3.84%
  • 81-85

16 0.94%
  • OLDER THEN 85

7 0.41%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Age of boolit casters

Boolit Buddy
    Coming up on 65, been casting since the mid 70's. Started reloading when I was about 13yoa. Dad purchased the equipment, components and manuals, provided some guidance/instruction and told me I was now responsible for keeping our rifles and shotguns supplied with ammo for practice and hunting. BTW still using some of that same equipment, lots added and upgraded over the years though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Just stop it already! I have already waltzed through two of these groups and am now looking and crowding into a third in a year or two.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Turned 36 today. I do beleive this is like the 3rd time or more i have posted on this thread. Lol this Zombie thread will never die. One day, my ancestors will be on here and see me age.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    I posted on this quite a while back,I think I jumped up some. 79 next July.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Master

Just came across this thread. I filled this out so long ago I've jumped almost to two categories. Haha. Still casting though.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    I don't even know when it was that I voted in this thread but I am sure I have jumped up at least on category since then. I am 69 going on 90 and I started casting and reloading with my dad when I was around 10. Got out of it after my all expenses paid vacation to Southeast Asia in 69. Then got to traveling all over the country working as a trucker and equipment operator so no time or place to do it. Finally settled down and got back into it in the last ten years. Do still have most of dads equipment but I have been updating a lot of it. The old Herters stuff is neat but no match for newer RCBS stuff. His old SAECO lead pot still cooks away like a champ though.

Boolit Master

I’ve entered a third age group since this was started, too.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Betwixt the Altamont and Las Trampas in Northern CA
    I’m just starting out at past the half century mark. Well actually no. My dad had me working with him as a young teen, but I’ve forgotten all the lessons he taught me because I thought I had more time than money and shot j words. Coming back to my roots and trying to get pops to unload all that knowledge again while we still can.

Boolit Master

When I posted back in 2015, I was 73. I'm now 4 months shy of 80. Now instead of looking forward to my next mold, I'm trying to decide which molds to sell. I don't see any interest by either of my sons or grandsons. I'm probably contributing to that disinterest by providing them with all the ammunition they need. Like me when I was working, they don't have time to shoot as much as they would like. Like me they will still be trying to develop some skill with handguns and rifles. Between the eyes and the shakes, it is difficult.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    81 here and I AIN'T quittin'...............at the moment I'm fooling with paperpatching some Lyman 311041's to work in an old model 14 Remington .32 that I brought back to life...........looks like it's good to outlast me and then some!
    Last edited by dogrunner; 04-10-2022 at 04:09 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like in the next 10-15 years, I'll be getting into the majority. Still a minority at this point at age 50.

Boolit Master

86 - been casting for decades...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in 1965 because store ammo cost more than a 25 year old father of three (+ momma) could afford.

Store bullets sold for $3-5 per hundred back then and that was also much more than the budget allowed so I soon got a double cavity Lyman #311299 for my 1903-A3. That worked so well I eventually ended up with molds for .243, .30 Carbine, .38/.357, .45 ACP, .44 Mag and .54; a lot of wheel weights have gone through those molds and then down range.

Major heart attack in 2006 'bout got me. It didn't leave much of what I used to be so I've cast and shot very little since then. But - Lord willing - I'll be ready to dig out and knock the dust off my old Lee bottom pour pot for some serious casting and range time this summer. (I'm old now but I ain't too old! )

Anyway, I'll soon be able to check off the last age group in this survey!

Boolit Mold

age casting

I started casting too for a 50 cal Hawkin. But that was so easy, nothing to size. At a gun show I found a 44 cal .429 45 grain,for my S&W 44 mag, and got it cheap, I was age 23, wow was that easy too. So more molds, gave up that old cake cutter method to lube, and got a 450 sizer, now cast and size 8 different cal and bullet weights! Now age 64, with the cost of a 450 grain .458 bullet, being SO high, I load a Ruger #1 in 458 win mag, to about a 45-70 load, VERY affordable. The bonus that #1 is a tack driver, as well, heavy, its a Tropical, but has take 4 nice Deer, in my hunting life! With out casting, I couldn't afford to shoot that 458. Guys give it a try, well worth it!

Boolit Master

Since this poll was started and I voted, I have moved "up" a category. I've been casting since I was a child in the late "60's for a 36 cal Nary Arms pistol that I still have. I also had a set of soldiers, and a cannon that my parents bought from Sears so I could cast my own toys from LEAD! No warnings, no labels etc. If I burned myself, I tried not to do it again!. I still have that set too.

Quote Originally Posted by harley1981 View Post
    At a gun show I found a 44 cal .429 45 grain, for my S&W 44 mag, and got it cheap,
    First off welcome to the forum.

I have never seen a 45 grain .429 slug. That must be a real screamer out of a 29/629 Smith.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird View Post
    Since this poll was started and I voted, I have moved "up" a category. I've been casting since I was a child in the late "60's for a 36 cal Nary Arms pistol that I still have. I also had a set of soldiers, and a cannon that my parents bought from Sears so I could cast my own toys from LEAD! No warnings, no labels etc. If I burned myself, I tried not to do it again!. I still have that set too.
    I still have my little pot and molds for the soldiers also. I dumped that pot over on my hand one time. All the skin on the top half of my left thumb is now from my butt! Live and learn. Amazing thing is, I didn't die. I am not brain dead. (well, depends on which friend or x wife you ask). And T-Bird, you forgot the most important warning label that was not on there..................... The Cali. Prop 65 label.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm talking to this Republican friend who has little experience with guns and the shooting community and thinks that gun ownership should be restricted by age because some shooter could become senile and shoot someone. Have any of you ever heard of a gun owner becoming senile and a hazard to the community? The idea sounds stupid but I never heard of any such incident. Old shooters just die of old age and the family sells our stuff for pennies on the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I'm talking to this Republican friend who has little experience with guns and the shooting community and thinks that gun ownership should be restricted by age because some shooter could become senile and shoot someone. Have any of you ever heard of a gun owner becoming senile and a hazard to the community? The idea sounds stupid but I never heard of any such incident. Old shooters just die of old age and the family sells our stuff for pennies on the dollar.
    Chances are, If I became senile I probably wouldn't be able to remember the combination to the safe.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I'm in the process of trying to gather up some of my stuff that probably will end up in a landfill(books, etc) and maybe get quarters on the dollar even with inflation.
    John
    W.TN

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast